Author Topic: Help me! I'm spoiled by Win98 but i want Linux!  (Read 2429 times)

creedon

• Kudos: 0
Help me! I'm spoiled by Win98 but i want Linux!
« Reply #15 on: 5 April 2003, 03:37 »
As (apparently) one of the few resident Debian users, I am willing to share my meager knowlege of the art of Linux; First and foremost, DON'T let someone tell you to install Debian; it won't work, someone who hasn't used Linux for a while will NOT be able to succesfully install Debian; you need a grounding in a more user-friendly Linux distro; I'd reccomend Redhat 8.0; it's an easy install except for DiskDruid, the partitioning app; it's not intuitive, but if you persevere, you'll be alright.  I'm using Mozilla as a browser, but most Linux browsers will work well out of the box; I just like Mozilla.  Yes, you can multi-boot; I'm booting Redhat 8.0, Debian Sarge, Libratnet 2.0, Knoppix 3.2 and Win98.  Redhat will setup a booting utility called GRUB; it's cake; just answer a couple of questions and off you go.
Anything else?
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??

Faust

« Reply #16 on: 5 April 2003, 13:50 »
quote:
Yes you can still eat Fruit Loops while using Linux.

Fruity Loops is a music program used for editing wave files I believe...

i'm not aware of any such programs on linux but search www.freshmeat.net for similar programs there will probably be something there.

BTW for silent warrior / Lennon before you try an install back up all your important data and maybe read some info on partitioning it's the most difficult part of installing.  Basically you'll need a root (/) partition and a swap partition to use just linux, for linux and windows youll need a boot partition, followed immediately by a windows partition, then root and swap on either of the 3rd / 4th partitions.

Boot will not need to be big...  you can spare 15meg for it on mandrake (most of which will be empty) however red hat 8 will give an error message if its smaller than 80... (stupid red hat...)

Win will just be win...  the size you feel is right for you (ie windows and all apps must fit on this partition - so it will be big (bloat.))

Root (/) is the same as win... however big you feel is right for linux...  Can be pretty small if you want it to be.

Swap is tricky, different people say different things.  You can probably spare 300 meg with the size of hard drives these days or if you feel like wasting space like me the maximum size is 2 gigabytes.  300 (or less) should be fine though.

if you search google for "linux documentation project"+partitioning then you should get a how-to on partitioning, which will help.

Its not too difficult and I'm sure you'll get there.     ;)    

edit : make SURE that the partition you resize is defragmented before the resizing.

[ April 05, 2003: Message edited by: Faust ]

Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Faust

« Reply #17 on: 5 April 2003, 13:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by creedon : As (apparently) one of the few resident Debian users

Add one to the tally dude.  
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

Faust

« Reply #18 on: 5 April 2003, 13:57 »
quote:
In what language is the programming done in Linux? I'm learning C++ so can I make some of my own stuff?

If its a programming language there will be a compiler for it on linux.  Definitely for something as popular as C.  BTW ".tar.gz" packages for programs on linux tend to be actual C source code for you to read if you feel like seeing some examples of how others program in C. 8-)
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

Faust

« Reply #19 on: 5 April 2003, 14:31 »
quote:
what kind of interface to expect (similar to DOS?), how to use Internet (html, mIRC), where to get programs for it?

The interface depends on what you like - some will be VERY similar to windows (XPwm), some will be user friendly (gnome / kde), some will be very similar (in appearance) to DOS (xterms/rxvt et all.)

Interfaces largely vary with what window manager you use (i use blackbox).  Mandrake comes with lots and Red Hat comes with slightly less but they're all different so you can choose which you like... for starters either kde or gnome are pretty "beginner friendly."

quote:
Download and burn an iso to cd.

Linux cds are also commonly found on computer magazines or in newsagents attached to a small helpbook - these helpbooks can be fantastic for a first time user, and the cds save a lot of downloading time. 8-) One point to bear in mind is that you may (especially if you use an internal modem, which will probably be a "winmodem") want to have internet access elsewhere for asking questions should you be unable to get the internet on your machine working.  Internet on red-hat or mandrake is pretty straightforward if you have an external or internal hardware modem though.
You can also buy CDs off the net - i order mine (in australia) from www.everythinglinux.com, but I'm sure stores like this exist in almost all countries.
Also make sure your cd burner can support .iso images if you want to burn linux to a cd.  Most do, but Nero Burning ROM for one doesnt.

quote:
Originally posted by fett101:

...And then come back and bitch about how hard it is to intstall programs...

Both red hat and mandrake have very intuitive package management systems and they can install all the basic programs for you straight off the installation cds - the more cds you have in a set the more you can install off them obviously.  The first cd will hold all the "essentials" and the cds after that typically contain other packages in order of popularity - only the first cd is essential however.

quote:
But only one major question. How do i connect to the net and what browser to use? Mozila?

Again its personal preference.  Mozilla is my favorite, but everyone else has different choices.
(Dont ask which is best or you'll start a big argument...)  For starters use mozilla as its installed by default and its similar to what youve used before.  After that ask what the best browser is and THEN you can watch the fight start. 8-)
Connecting to the net should be easy, just be sure that you're modem isnt a "winmodem" - modems that are designed for windows for cost reasons - its cheaper to have windows handle all the jobs the modem does, but its slower, wastes your CPUs valuable time and typically the savings in price wont be passed on to the consumer.
There are also literally hundreds of IRC clients / ftp applications / email applications etcetera for linux... if its on the internet linux can access it. 8-)

quote:
But i'm only concerned about hardware drivers and how to install programs, where to find them in the first place, etc??

hardware drivers are typiccaly all pre-installed inside the linux kernel.  Some drivers like the 3D card drivers may need replacing with "better" drivers but this isnt too hard - for NVidia cards now it's extremely easy.

quote:
i mean no win type things?

Barring games linux probably has *more* applications than windows.  If it has a windows version there will be a linux program that does the same thing.  Linux also has tons of emulators for windows, nintendos, consoles, playstations, game boys, dos, graphics calculators etcetera so if you cant bear to part with a program you can emulate it.
www.linuxgames.com has a list of games that run on linux - not all suck take for example UT2003. 8-)
www.winehq.com has details on a program that can run a lot of windows programs in linux, almost always at the same speed that windows runs the originals, or faster in some cases.
www.freshmeat.net has a lot of linux programs for download and if you dont want to waste download time the install CDs typically have a lot of programs already on them... in the case of mandrake about three seperate fully featured "office suites" for example.

X11 has above me also posted some good sites for help.

and finally : I was in the same position you were in a little while ago and I managed it... if I can do it anyone can.     ;)  

edit : some public libraries also have linux isos available for loan (usually attached to a book or magazine of course.) and most have linux help books to borrow if you feel you need help.

A lot of the above edits are to do with changing freshmeats address to www.freshmeat.net.  Sorry about posting the wrong URL everybody...

Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

Faust

« Reply #20 on: 5 April 2003, 15:18 »
For Your Information X11 the above URL for linux help is wrong...  should be www.linuxhelp.net

Please correct it so you don't frustrate people who click on the link expecting help...
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

Lennon

« Reply #21 on: 5 April 2003, 16:47 »
Wow those posts really put a smile on my face  

Thank you so much!
I might consider wrapping all this up and making a quick FAQ for all the people who decide to convert to Linux but need such basic answers. Or maybe someone else could make it! These answers helped so much I'm already a HUGE fan of the infamous penguin!

Now. I have a 40GB hard drive, with only one main drive (C  currently taking up 38 GB.

First I'll burn some of my data on some CDs and clean up a little.
So should i do this?:
What I'll do during the installation is make following partitions:
C: - boot, 85 MB (In case I need Red Hat sometime)
D: - for windows 98, 25 GB
E: - Root for Linux Mandrake 9.1, 14 GB
F: - Swap fof Linux, approx. 1 GB

Questions (short answers will do):
-Can i just leave some of my files on C: (38 GB) and just split it up, leaving the windows crap where it belongs while surgically moving some folders to E: or should i make C: 25 GB or less in size and then create the other partitions?
-Can i do the partitioning in BIOS or is it always done in the installation process (which i start by booting from the CD)?
-How do i re-partition once i get a new 120 GB HD, or decide i want more room for Linux - can it be done without any harm?

Thanks in advance for any short answers/clues you might give me considering those questions. I'll do some searches online but not too much cos my (single 64k) ISDN is already downloading at full 7.6 KB/s (GetRight rulez) for 30 hours. I suppose Linux doesn't have a problem with ISDN btw?
Peace out.

Faust

« Reply #22 on: 5 April 2003, 17:44 »
Glad that I could help... 8-)
Firstly windows will not recognize the partitions so you should only have a "C:" drive, which will be the windows one.

the partition scheme looks very workable...

it would also be nice for you to have the windows partition as fat32 as linux can read/write to that so you can store all files on that drive and access them from both systems.

1 ) splitting I have never done - i believe you resize the original partition lower leaving blank space elsewhere. maybe someone else would like to post a short how-to on partition resizing?
the easiest way for me was to back up all files onto cdr then just wipe the disk and start afresh but thats a bit drastic - i wasnt worried by it because I had already lost everything.

2 ) partitioning is done through the boot up process on the linux cd - mandrake / red hat make it pretty user friendly but it is good to be sure so feel free to reboot and remove the cd if you want to doublecheck with someone online, as before you do the partitioning nothing on your computer has changed. Both red hat and mandrake let you "plan out" your changes to the hard drive partitions and then actually write the changes after that.

3 ) you can just repartition the new 120 without affecting the original hard drive - if you decide you want to have more linux space you can always change the partition scheme and only those partitions you actually modify will be changed - ie you can change only "some" of the partitions at a time.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

Lennon

« Reply #23 on: 5 April 2003, 18:24 »
OK, those helped a lot! I read some stuff elsewhere too.

So once i do the partitioning from the install:
-Will i be able to access the drives other then C: from Windows? Will it even see them?
-What about access to drives from Linux, considering C: is fat32 right now?
Peace out.

Faust

« Reply #24 on: 5 April 2003, 19:10 »
Linux will be able to read / write the FAT32 drives
WIndows will not even see the linux drives
BTW when you choose what to format the linux drives as, I suggest Ext3, Ext2 or ReiserFS (in that order.)
And... while I hate to admit this X11 is probably right re : the fact that youll have difficulty filling a 10G linux partition.  5 gig or so probably isnt too much too spare even if you dont need it and it will be difficult to fill... I just have large partitions because I can spare the space and it makes it much easier for me.  
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

Lennon

« Reply #25 on: 5 April 2003, 20:05 »
OK thanks for those answers.
Now i will:
-Make my C: drive have 24.5 GBs (I'll burn all those mp3s on CDs)
-Defragment C: (Windows 98 is slow, any better programs for defrag?)
-Install Linux.

Am i missing something?

As for Win98, it has amazingly been runing without crashing for the last 40 hours! Although i barely touched it out of fear of it crashing, I posted here and browsed using Opera.
   Now it takes around 30 seconds for my P3 933Mhz to open another folder, 10 seconds for a drop down menu to load... wow how screwed up can you get. And Opera is doing great, when i used MSIE long time ago, by now i would need 5 seconds for each typed letter in this "Add reply" text box! LOL!

fuck windows
Peace out.

Lennon

« Reply #26 on: 5 April 2003, 23:49 »
do'h !

That means I'll have to wait another 20 hours or so be4 i experience freedom  :(

Well *sigh* I'll just look at it like it was a train ride from China to Canada!  

And yeah, let me mention that Win98 is completely fucked up now, It must be realizing its about to be replaced. Just now i had my mouse cursor completely disappear! I thought that could NEVER happen because whenever it hangs up, the mouse is ALWAYS there! Now the cursor would disappear on exactly one window which i was working in, and the windows contents also. They would all re-appear after a few minutes of waiting. Amazing    how shit can you get! I also noticed that windows has made a swap file which has reached around 2GB by now  :D  congrats to me!
Peace out.

Lennon

« Reply #27 on: 6 April 2003, 02:49 »
YEAHHHH!
Mandrkae 9.1 iso finished, checksum correct!
Dunno why i feel so euphoric! Man!

now off to defrag........ 8-|

But how will the install program know which part is the "beginning" of C: and i hope it doesn't delete some of my files? It should be ok after i defragment it i suppose? Is this 100% sure :S cos i dont wanna loose some IMPORTANT programs i have on there......
Peace out.

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #28 on: 6 April 2003, 04:57 »
You should always back up anything you can't live without because no matter how perfect everything can seem to be going, shit happens. Something as unexpected as a power outage can cause years of torment.

Lennon

« Reply #29 on: 6 April 2003, 16:30 »
Hey fellas... I'm down.

I can't defragment my HD, windows keeps screweing up, even if i End Task it down to absolute minimum. So can someone answer me: What would happen if i partition, without defragmenting?

Data loss, screwed up HD i suppose??

Now i can either:
-Find a DOS program for defragmenting.
-Do it the hard win98 way, by waiting till it gets to 18% then it restarts, next time it reached 20%, restarts, next time 22%... and so on for about five days  :(
-Install w/out defrag, and hope for the best.

I'M NEARLY THERE ! Someone pls help...
Peace out.