Author Topic: Help me! I'm spoiled by Win98 but i want Linux!  (Read 2544 times)

Lennon

• Kudos: 0
Help me! I'm spoiled by Win98 but i want Linux!
« Reply #60 on: 10 April 2003, 01:47 »
Yah. I'm a quick learner, and i kinda "feel" that the effort i'm putting in will pay off ten times later on. I have long-term plans to make a server (big web site) too, so i thought i could see how Linux goes and maybe i can do it myself. I'm just not sure what equipment i would need to have in order to run a fixed-ip server!? Mostly because of the restricted services we have in Belgrade   :rolleyes:  

I'm downloading gtk, gdk, mpeg stuff, and all the development libraries i can find. I'm very optimistic, which i would NOT be without people like you guys who help a great deal! Thanks again everyone!  
Peace out.

emh

« Reply #61 on: 10 April 2003, 21:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by Lennon:

---------------------------------------------------------
I also tried messing around with the tar.gz files, and here are the messages i got on the screen:
first i did ./configure and then "make" command:
kmplayerview.cpp:377: invalid use of undefined type 'struct ArtsL::SoundServerV2'
kmplayerview.h:39: forward declaration of 'struct Arts::SoundServerV2'
kmplayerview.cpp: In member function 'void KmplayerView::SetVolume(int)':
...(some more similar stuff)
make [3]: *** [kmplayerview.lo] Error 1
make [3]: Leaving directory '/home/john/tmp/kmp/kmplayer/kmplayer'
make [2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make [2]: Leaving directory '/home/john/tmp/kmp/kmplayer/kmplayer'
make [1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make [1]: Leaving directory '/home/john/tmp/kmp/kmplayer'
make: *** [all] Error 2
[root@localhost kmplayer]#

Unfortunately, in your quote you left out the information that we need.  If you could, post the the last ten to 15 lines before the first "Error 1" message.

And follow Calum's advice.

A great place to find rpm's is http://www.rpmfind.net  

Hopefully, we're not overloading you with information here.

:D

[ April 10, 2003: Message edited by: emh ]

Lennon

« Reply #62 on: 10 April 2003, 16:30 »
Well i'd love to try again but my Linux has completely failed. Out of the blue when i start it up i just get the console, i log in as root, and thats all i know how to do. KDE won't load, no display, just the DOS type console. And i didn't type or change anything. Maybe i did but its extremely unlikely.

How do i get it back to "Windows" type interface?
Peace out.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #63 on: 10 April 2003, 18:22 »
okay, when you are logged in, type "startx" which should start xwindows, the graphical display program that enables all the graphical stuff to happen. if this does not work, you will see a lot of error messages. have a read through them and see if there's anything obvious in those messages telling you why it's not working. If it works then you can skip the next section.

if you can see why it is not working, then you need to edit the file /etc/X11/XF86Config (i think, mandrake may have put its XF86Config file elsewhere, i do not know. use the "cd" (change directory) and "ls" (list) commands to find out where it is hiding if so), there is an easy to use program which will edit this file for you, first though i would backup your original XF86Config file in case you erase it and then need it again. to do this, do "mv /etc/X11/XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config-backup" and remember that all commands in linux are CAsE senSitIVe! as you can see that command simply moves the file XF86Config to be a file called XF86Config-backup. now we are ready to issue the following command (as root) "xf86config", this program will ask you a number of questions about your video card, monitor, keyboard, mouse et cetera. it will then save a new XF86Config file at /etc/X11/XF86Config (so if we hadn't shifted the old one out the way you would have lost it), if you still can't get "startx" to work then keep going through xf86config a couple of times answering questions a little differently because chances are there's some set of options that will work for you. If you really can't get xf86config to write a decent XF86Config file then see the next paragraph.

Okay so this paragraph assumes all else has failed, now you will have to edit the file /etc/XF86Config manually. this involves using a text editor, so if you are not familiar with the basic commands of the text editor you are going to use, read a tutorial before you do this. most of the easy text editors do not come installed in mandrake. the easiest and best ones to use if you are totally new are nano, pico and jpico. I don't think any of these are installed already, but try typing their names in just to make sure. you can install pico from the second mandrake CD i think (which i think you don't have), by installing the rpm of the "pine" package. or you can install jpico by installing the rpm package of "joe" (again possibly on CD2), and i think nano needs to be downloaded and installed from source (it's an easy one though and will almost certainly install fine). your other choice is to use emacs (which is probably already installed) or vi (which is definitely already installed) but they are harder and as i say you want to read a tutorial befor etrying to use them. so. type "nameoftexteditor /etc/X11/XF86Config" and you should see your current XF86Config file. incidentally, if you already moved your original XF86Config file somewhere else, it might be a good idea to move it back to /etc/X11/XF86Config so you know you are working on the original (and probably least buggered) version. This file contains many comments to help let you know how to edit it, basically you want to find the section that's giving you problems and edit it so it works. that's as best i can do, apart from advising you read some easy web tutorial about how to edit XF86Config. once you have edited it to your satisfaction, save it, exit the text editor and try "startx" again.

Okay, now i will assume that you got through all that (or just typed "startx") and it all works fine, so how do you get it to boot into the graphical display every time you start up? well the answer is quite simple. you must edit one line in a text file. in a text editor (as root), open the file '/etc/inittab' and find (quite near the top) a line that looks like this:
Code: [Select]
now see that 3 in there? that sets the system to runlevel 3. runlevel 3 is usually a multiuser system with full networking. to get it to boot into a graphical multiuser system with full networking, you need to change the "3" to a "5" (in mandrake it's a 5 you want, some systems use a 4 instead) and save and then exit.
see here for more information

Finally, i'm a bit worried that you have logged in as root here. that's not a good idea for many security reasons. have you created any other users on your system yet? if not, type "useradd" or "adduser" at a command prompt (as root) , i forget which is which, one is a nice question and answer thing and the other is not, go with the nice question and answer one (whichever one that is) to start with as it also asks you to set user passwords, which the other one doesn't do.
here for more info

finally, did you know about the forum at http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/forums/ ? there's a mandrake specific forum there and you'll probably get good answers on it as well as posting here, just thought you should know.

[ April 10, 2003: Message edited by: Calum: crusader for peace & freedom ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Lennon

« Reply #64 on: 10 April 2003, 21:21 »
Wow Calum, thanks a lot. I'll try all that. I just hope i'm not annoying for you guys, you're (apparently) my only hope  
Peace out.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #65 on: 10 April 2003, 22:21 »
not a problem, it actually helps me to try and answer you since it forces me to organise my stray bits of linux knowledge in my head.

as i said, you have other hope out there in the form of other forums, my particular facourites are voidmain.kicks-ass.net and newtolinux.org.uk

Lennon

« Reply #66 on: 11 April 2003, 17:33 »
Calum, i gotta say things were a lot less complicated than you explain. I just chose "failsafe" on boot, configured that INIT thing to 5 (Chose Graphical Interface) and it works just fine    no need for all the fancy commands you gave me!!

Now...Im trying to install gtk so i can install some other stuff but:
after running ./configure i get
checking for glib-2.0 >= 2.1.4 atk >= 1.0.1 pango >= 1.0.1... Package glib-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `glib-2.0.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'glib-2.0' found

configure: error: Library requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.1.4 atk >= 1.0.1 pango >= 1.0.1) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
[john@localhost gtk+-2.2.0]$

So does this mean i have to get some glib-2 before i can install that? Wish they told me earlier, or at least some sort of list of requirements before i install or download something :/

And how do i make a difference between the full glib and a "patch" ? GTK was 8.7 MB to download.
Peace out.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #67 on: 11 April 2003, 19:55 »
well i am very glad to hear you didn't need all that stuff! i just put it in there because depending on what the problem was, you might have needed some or all of it, so i thought better to just let you have it all at once rather than you having to wait for somebody to answer your question again if it didn't work.

now... you're installing gtk from source? i have never done that, i always install it off the CDs, i don't think i can be of much help here, my strong advice to you is to get the other two mandrake CDs and use urpmi to install the gtk and glibc6 rpms off of that, because that's the only way you're going to avoid a real barrowload of headaches regarding dependencies and so on.

anybody else got any positive words here re: installing gtk?

excorcist

« Reply #68 on: 11 April 2003, 19:55 »
ok I have some questions. I am wanting to set up mandrake on a 5 gig partition on my slave drive. My master is fat32 winxp and my slave is just formatted in fat32.

Will mandrake resize the partition for me without loosing all my stuff that's already on the slave drive?

Lennon's issues worry me, but I figure that if I hate it I can always format the drive.

thx for any and all help.

Lennon

« Reply #69 on: 11 April 2003, 20:39 »
hehe, my issues are nothing to worry about. Its no harder then learning Window$, i solved all the problems very easily, which were caused in the first place mostly because of my own mistakes. Now i learned for example i really need the CD2 of Mandrake 9.1, and that ALL problems arisied because i didn't have that.

Anyway, to answer your question, i am 90% sure (not 100 cos i'm still newbie) that partitioning will not damage your information BUT YOU MUST Defragment your Hard Drive first. Remember that. I installed Mandrake and made all the partitions on one HD and didn't loose anything at all.

And in the future, browse through this thread before asking a question, i'm sure you'll find something!  
Peace out.

Doogee

• VIP
  • Kudos: 109
    • http://m-db.info
« Reply #70 on: 11 April 2003, 21:02 »
hey exorcist, start a new thread buddy, this ones already got about 3-4 seperate topics in it hehe.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #71 on: 11 April 2003, 22:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by Lennon:

Anyway, to answer your question, i am 90% sure (not 100 cos i'm still newbie) that partitioning will not damage your information BUT YOU MUST Defragment your Hard Drive first. Remember that. I installed Mandrake and made all the partitions on one HD and didn't loose anything at all.

very good advice, but personally i would say it's no harder to just manually set up your partitions. if you do it manually you can make /home into a seperate partition, and that way you can format your linux partition, and reinstall some other version of linux, and your /home partition will still contain all your files (mp3s, letters, pictures et c).

Lord C

• Kudos: 15
    • http://www.lordcalvin.co.uk/
« Reply #72 on: 12 April 2003, 00:52 »
what a good idea! why didnt i think of it :/
Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Linux user #348855

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #73 on: 12 April 2003, 21:01 »
Calum: Mandrake automatically makes you two different / and /home partions...

Lennon

« Reply #74 on: 12 April 2003, 15:44 »
yeah, i Mandy 9.1 made a special /home partition for me too  :D

I will start downloading CD2 now...
Peace out.