Author Topic: Linux File system....  (Read 533 times)

VeTro

• Kudos: 0
    • http://Will soon be up
Linux File system....
« on: 16 October 2002, 00:32 »
Can someone explain to me how the files in a linux program are placed.......and yes, this is a very stupid question...hehe.
ok....you install a programm......the files are stored in a map. Well, which one is the execution file??

Another thing i would like to now is which Linux should I choose?? I have SuSe Linux, because it supposed to be an easey version. But I have heard that Slachwhare is the best....

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Linux File system....
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2002, 00:57 »
How have you installed this program and also what is it?
Contains scenes of mild peril.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Linux File system....
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2002, 01:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by VeTro:
Can someone explain to me how the files in a linux program are placed.......and yes, this is a very stupid question...hehe.
ok....you install a programm......the files are stored in a map. Well, which one is the execution file??

Stored in a map? Don't understand what you mean there but generally it depends on the application that you are installing. Most applications will place the executable programs in either the "/usr/bin" or "/usr/local/bin" directory (but not always true depending on who wrote the app). Supporting data usually goes under "/var/lib/appname" and libraries usually go under "/usr/lib/appname" or "/usr/local/lib".

Since you mentioned you are using SuSe which is RPM based if the application you are referring to was installed as an RPM you can do an "rpm -qil rpmname" to get a list of installed files/locations, where "rpmname" is one of the installed RPMs on your system. You can get a list of installed RPMs by doing an "rpm -qa | more".

quote:
Another thing i would like to now is which Linux should I choose?? I have SuSe Linux, because it supposed to be an easey version. But I have heard that Slachwhare is the best....

Whoever told you that is full of shit. The "best" distro is the one that works the best for you. There isn't a single distro out there that is the best one for everyone. If you are fairly new I would stick with SuSe, RedHat, or Mandrake (even if you are not fairly new). Slackware takes a lot more work and lower level understanding of Linux and Linux software. But when you get it installed and configured you don't necessarily have any more capability than you do with any other distro.

All Linux distros use the same basic applications for the most part. Any applications that the others don't use can be installed on the others. There are some distro specific graphical tools that the distro vendor wrote themselves that would not be included with the others but SuSe is one of the best as far as graphical system tools. I personally don't rely on any graphical tools so I am comfortable in just about any distro of Linux.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...