Author Topic: Triple Booting  (Read 1110 times)

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Triple Booting
« Reply #30 on: 1 December 2002, 03:44 »
How about this:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=4622

It's an example of booting several different Linux distros and Win98 using GRUB.

And here is the latest GRUB documentation:

http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub-0.92/grub.html

Probably the "easiest" way for you to do it is to create a GRUB floppy as in the example. Install Windows first leaving the free space. Then on each Linux distro that you install do not install the boot loader on the MBR, but instead install it on the partition where the kernel resides for that distro.

Since I have all of the operating systems in question I could set up a triple boot in VMware exactly as you are trying to do and give you some pointers. Not sure if I will have the time to do it this weekend though. If nothing else, it would make a good addition to my RedHat tips section. I used to have a machine set up with around 8 operating systems (DOS 6, Win3x, Win95, WinNT, OS/2 Warp, RedHat, Debian, Slackware) and could boot any of them from a boot menu. But this was a few years ago and used a combination of LILO and the boot loaders of the other operating systems.

I think the key you might be missing is you want to install the boot loader of the later installed Linux distros on the Partition boot record rather than the MBR (Master Boot Record). Then your primary boot loader will do nothing more than boot strap the boot loader of the OS you are trying to boot from that OSs partition boot record.

[ November 30, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

• Kudos: 125
Triple Booting
« Reply #31 on: 1 December 2002, 18:11 »
Void main yeah hey that sounds good thanks.  I've got all 3 operating systems installed by the way and i've got partition magic installed so its no biggy if i have to format the linux partitions and start again.

At the moment the hard drive is setup like this.

Windows Drive
EXTENDED
then i have 2 /Root partitions and 2 / partitions and the swap partition.

voidmain

• VIP
Triple Booting
« Reply #32 on: 2 December 2002, 03:36 »
2 "/Root" partitions? "/" is what is referred to as the root partition. You should have the Windows partition, two "/" partitions and one swap partition when you are done. Once Linux is installed you should never have to "reinstall", even if your boot loader is not configured properly. You should be able to boot the system from your boot disk and then fix the boot loader if needed.

If your RedHat installation freezes at the graphical login then you have some sort of problem that a reinstall is not going to fix (unless you select a different video card). You'll need to change your startup not to boot into X so you can figure out what is causing the problem. Did you ever list your video card make/model/chipset?

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

Triple Booting
« Reply #33 on: 2 December 2002, 16:03 »
Sorry my bad. i have the 2 / partitions and the swap partition but i have also got the 2 /boot partitions.

Windows has 9GB
Suse has 4.5GB with reiser
RedHat has 4.5GB with Ext3
The swap of 768MB
Then 2 Boot 102MB partitions for each linux distro

Anyway, i have tried to setup my HDD with the 4 partitions as you say.  Suse is okay with this and before i install RH, the HD will have the windows partition, suse partition and the swap.  Problem is RH insists on having a boot partition and a boot and won't install if i just allow for it to have a "/" partition.

Where am i going wrong?

The video card is a SiS 630 which comes with my laptop.  At the moment RH is working because i wiped the partition and reinstalled.

Nobber

• Kudos: 55
Triple Booting
« Reply #34 on: 4 December 2002, 18:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by void main:
You should end up with two kernels in your /boot ...

One thing to watch out for in this scenario is that your system will be able to find the correct System.map file for the running kernel - if you keep that file in your /boot directory. It might make little or no practical difference if you use the wrong System.map, but better safe than sorry.
As sure as eggs is eggs.

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

Triple Booting
« Reply #35 on: 5 December 2002, 23:07 »
Void Main have you tried this "Triple Boot" with VMware yet?

voidmain

• VIP
Triple Booting
« Reply #36 on: 6 December 2002, 04:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by Crunchy(Cracked)Butter:
Void Main have you tried this "Triple Boot" with VMware yet?

I'm only one man.    I've been too busy in heated political discussions and playing with kernel patches etc... I was hoping you had it all sorted out by now.    It *is* still on my list but it means touching Windows which makes it not the top of the list.

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

Triple Booting
« Reply #37 on: 7 December 2002, 03:58 »
Whoa, i'm not wanting you to do it when i command, i was just wanting an update with your thoughts.

I *can* get all 3 installed but not in the new way you suggest by only creating 2 / partitions and the swap.

No rush anyway.