Author Topic: nothing boots anymore...  (Read 325 times)

hnugz

• Kudos: 0
nothing boots anymore...
« on: 16 February 2003, 23:25 »
I am trying to remove the boot loader which is lilo.  I did /sbin/lilo -u, rebooted, and now it says lilo is still there but it just scrolls 99 all across the screen.  Now I can't boot into win2k or mandrake linux.  What did I do wrong?  How can I fix this?

beltorak0

• http://www.angelfire.com/realm/beltorak
nothing boots anymore...
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2003, 00:15 »
so you removed your boot loader without ensuring that another would take it's place... oops.

goto slackware boot disks and read the instructions for using rawrite, and grab a kernel that matches your hardware.  create yourself a bootdisk using rawrite, and boot off it.  At the boot prompt, type "root=/dev/<your-linux-root-partition>".  Note that you probably will not have the correct modules for your kernel version, so i'd suggest installing a boot loader ASAP.

Note: if you are using a computer with linux installed, you don't need to use rawrite -- nor can you.  So just download the kernel, and "dd if=kernel of=/dev/fd0" to make your bootdisk.

[ February 16, 2003: Message edited by: beltorak ]

from Attrition.Org

quote:
Like many times before, Microsoft is re-inventing the wheel and opting for something other than round.

-t.

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
nothing boots anymore...
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2003, 00:23 »
I believe you can restore LILO with the 'rescue' function of Mandrake CD's. Havn't used mandrake in awhile, can't quite remember. Try it.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

hnugz

nothing boots anymore...
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2003, 21:34 »
many thanks for the help.  btw, what is the proper way to uninstall the boot loader?  in other words to remove lilo and have win2k just boot normally?

Doogee

• VIP
  • Kudos: 109
    • http://m-db.info
nothing boots anymore...
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2003, 21:37 »
hehe to just boot to win2k?? i doubt anyone will tell you this unless you gonna replace it with another bootloader to boot into linux (eg GRUB).
try windersBS