Author Topic: apt for RPM - Calum, you want this!  (Read 1337 times)

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
apt for RPM - Calum, you want this!
« Reply #15 on: 2 November 2002, 22:02 »
GLIBC is a big upgrade, you might try and get the SRC RPM for that package and do a rebuild but really I think you are wasting your time trying to get apt to work on Mandrake without having Mandrake repositories. And I couldn't imagine getting the pleasurable experience with apt on a dialup connection.

It is exactly what you are asking for in that it keeps a database of dependencies and knows what packages to install and automatically resolves those dependencies by installing the dependent packages. Problem is, that database/repository doesn't exist for Mandrake that I've been able to find (actually it did for Mandrake 7.0 and 7.1 but not for current versions). Seems there are repositories for all the RedHat 7.x and 8.0 series.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #16 on: 2 November 2002, 22:14 »
so you reckon that if i tried to use a red hat repository, i would in effect just make all my mandrake system redundant by eventually installing an entire copy of red hat as well? or am i missing the point?
also, i have 3 CDs of source code, from mandrake 9.0, and i just can't be arsed to go upstairs and open them. maybe i will stop trying to download this clibs thing, as it is taking a while, and i will browse those cds later.
thanks for the comments.
still interested in that bzip situation though, i am curious about how i would have resolved that...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #17 on: 2 November 2002, 22:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum-21.2:
so you reckon that if i tried to use a red hat repository, i would in effect just make all my mandrake system redundant by eventually installing an entire copy of red hat as well? or am i missing the point?

No, I just don't believe it will work, but I could be wrong. If it does it would certainly have to download a lot more than if you had a RedHat base (if you are hooked up to a RedHat repository) and an "apt-get dist-upgrade" would probably want to repace your entire Mandrake system with RedHat.  

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #18 on: 2 November 2002, 22:23 »
:D  they should bring it out for windows then.

flap

• Kudos: 137
« Reply #19 on: 2 November 2002, 22:26 »
Surely you have tcl on the mandrake cds?
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #20 on: 3 November 2002, 01:00 »
i probably have most if not all of the dependencies as binaries and source, but it seems that if i install mandrake rpms, some of the 'required files' are not detected, even if they are installed, if i try and install red hat rpms on a mandrake system, possibly due to the filesd being in different directory names than they are on red hat.

dishawjp

• Kudos: 95
    • http://web.lemoyne/~dishawjp
« Reply #21 on: 3 November 2002, 02:30 »
Hi All,

Creedon, I can already hear you laughing at me... but is there any chance that this will work for RH6.2?  I am stuck (and have been for weeks now) in dependency hell.  All I want to do is install xbill on my poor old POS and can't do it.  

Originally I had rpm version 2 something.  I was able to upgrade that to version 3 something.  But no way would version 4 something install.  I've been to rpmfind.net trying to find the files needed, have searched Red Hat's errata, and done google searches for the required files.  Never any happiness.

I shouldn't complain too badly... the computer does run well and doesn't crash regularly like my Windoze box does.  But a damned setup.exe would sure be nice :)  Or, if this "apt get" would work, that would be fine too.  

I am concerned about hosing an otherwise good install of Linux and running into problems like MoR/Bob and Calcum ran into.  Hell, I'd be happy to find a place to download the files I need to correct failed dependencies.

Creedon, I thought I'd see you at the computer show at the fairgrounds today... Eliot, Jaime, TR and I were all there today.  We drank some warm beer, ate some awful hot dogs, and pissed away too much money on computer stuff.  I'll be trying to install Linux on TR's new computer tomorrow.  Anyway, you should have been there.  It was a good time.

Jim

creedon

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #22 on: 3 November 2002, 03:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by DOSman:
Hi All,

Creedon, I can already hear you laughing at me... but is there any chance that this will work for RH6.2?  I am stuck (and have been for weeks now) in dependency hell.  All I want to do is install xbill on my poor old POS and can't do it.  

Originally I had rpm version 2 something.  I was able to upgrade that to version 3 something.  But no way would version 4 something install.  I've been to rpmfind.net trying to find the files needed, have searched Red Hat's errata, and done google searches for the required files.  Never any happiness.

I shouldn't complain too badly... the computer does run well and doesn't crash regularly like my Windoze box does.  But a damned setup.exe would sure be nice :)  Or, if this "apt get" would work, that would be fine too.  

I am concerned about hosing an otherwise good install of Linux and running into problems like MoR/Bob and Calcum ran into.  Hell, I'd be happy to find a place to download the files I need to correct failed dependencies.

Creedon, I thought I'd see you at the computer show at the fairgrounds today... Eliot, Jaime, TR and I were all there today.  We drank some warm beer, ate some awful hot dogs, and pissed away too much money on computer stuff.  I'll be trying to install Linux on TR's new computer tomorrow.  Anyway, you should have been there.  It was a good time.

Jim

Nah, I never laugh at anyone who's giving it a good try;  the ones I laugh at are people that think Linux is a free ride; they figure it'll be just like "Brand X" and when it isn't, they bitch about what a POS Linux is.
Yeah, I'd have liked to gone to the show, but chronic extreme poverty prevented me; too bad, I guess I've gotta buy a new CDRW, mine's got a bad case of the stupids; it'll do everything but burn a CD; very frustrating!
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #23 on: 3 November 2002, 04:09 »
quote:
Hi All,

Jim

Calcum, that a classic  
Contains scenes of mild peril.

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #24 on: 3 November 2002, 04:23 »
quote:

Couple of things. First, "xbill" should have come on your RedHat 6.2 CDs. Second, you *can* upgrade RPM to 4.x on RedHat 6.2. My 6.2 system is running rpm v4.0.2.

http://rpm.redhat.com/hintskinks/rpmv3tv4/
http://updates.redhat.com/6.2/en/os/i386/

quote:

Or, if this "apt get" would work, that would be fine too.

It does appear there are some limited apt repositories for 6.2:

http://freshrpms.net/apt/
http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/

But it looks like most of them are limited to RH62 "updates" and "extras", not the base OS. So that to me would indicate a less pleasureable experience than you would have on RH73 or RH80. But still worth the try. Guess I could try and install it on my 6.2 system right now and see how much trouble you'll have. I'll let you know.

[ November 02, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

dishawjp

« Reply #25 on: 3 November 2002, 08:27 »
Void Main...
Thanks for the links.  I'll give the rpm upgrade another try tomorrow.

Creedon...
believe me, I know all about the chronic poverty stuff...  Think I would still be running RH 6.2 on a P166 w/48 MB of RAM if I had a choice? :)

Thanks again all and have a great weekend!

Jim

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #26 on: 3 November 2002, 08:39 »
No problem. I did get apt installed and working on 6.2 by the way. It upgraded 540 packages when I did an "apt-get upgrade"!    But now my RH62 system has all the updates (for a 6.2 system that is).  But it's certainly not the nice experience it is in RH8 because there isn't nearly as much stuff for 6.2. For instance an "apt-get install mplayer" didn't find anything. Nor did an "apt-get install synaptic" which is the graphical apt interface. I'll see if I get get the graphical version installed anyhoo and let you know how to do it.

[ November 02, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #27 on: 3 November 2002, 12:10 »
Whoops, just realized why so many RPMs were installed when I did the "upgrade". I have a RedHat 6.1 system, not 6.2.    Oh well it worked well. I thought since I was able to get apt-get and synaptic working on RH61 maybe I could just turn on some of the repositories for the 7.3 distro and install stuff from there.

Well I did install a couple of things but when I went to install mplayer it wanted to remove like 750 packages. I got scared and set everything back to the 6.2 repository. It's still nice for installing/removing base software without any dependency trouble. I would suggest installing it. The experience for RH8 is a little better because there are lots of extra goodies available.

creedon

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #28 on: 3 November 2002, 20:25 »
Just for claritys sake, I'd like to point out that apt/dpkg is a native Debian application;  If you are using any Debian release from 2.0 (hamm) on, opening an internet connection and typing "apt-get dist-upgrade" will upgrade your Debian install to the current stable release.  Before installing the downloaded software, dpkg will ensure that all dependancies are met; at that point apt will install and configure the upgraded distribution; then, on a weekly basis, repeating the process I just outlined will keep your Debian installation as current as possible.
If you should decide you want to use a OS that's a little more 'cutting edge", editing /etc/apt/sources.list to point to "testing" will upgrade your system to the current "testing" branch of Debian; 90% stable, but some apps can be troublesome.  The same process will upgrade your system to "unstable"; Debians experimental branch; some possibility of trouble, but pretty reliable on the whole.
This is Debians default method of package management/system upgrades; I think it's the best system available.
BTW: I understand that apt-rpm has matured very well, although I've never used it; it's interesting, one of Debians packages is called "alien"; it manages rpm's for use on Debian systems; haven't tried it----yet.
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??

dishawjp

« Reply #29 on: 3 November 2002, 22:32 »
THANKS! Void Main and Creedon!

I followed your links, Void Main, downloaded and installed the required files and the "rpm -Uvh..." install went without a hitch.  Right now I'm running the "rpm --rebuilddb"

I have to get off-line now (the wife's whining about having the phone unavailable) but I'll continue with trying to get this "apt get" program in.

Thanks again to everybody!

Jim