Author Topic: apt for RPM - Calum, you want this!  (Read 1333 times)

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
apt for RPM - Calum, you want this!
« Reply #30 on: 3 November 2002, 23:10 »
Yeah, "apt" is really the way to go, no matter what the underlying package format is (wether it be *.deb , *.rpm, *.pkg, etc). It would be nice if there were some sort of magical way to be able to handle all of those package types together, but that might be asking a little much. In the mean time there must be repositories of packages in the type needed for the specific distribution and version. apt for RPM is nearly identical in it's workings to the Debian apt, with the exception that the underlying packages are in RPM format rather than DEB format.

apt for RPM also has the dist-upgrade and I used it on my RH61 system when hooked up to the RH62 repository without any problem. But when I hooked up to the RH73 repository I was afraid that something might go wrong so I cancelled the upgrade. This is my gateway/firewall/proxy box so I didn't really want to get it into a state that it might be down for a while. Everything else went perfectly, didn't even have to touch the machine or reboot (but this is normal in Linux).
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

creedon

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #31 on: 4 November 2002, 00:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by void main:
Yeah, "apt" is really the way to go, no matter what the underlying package format is (wether it be *.deb , *.rpm, *.pkg, etc). It would be nice if there were some sort of magical way to be able to handle all of those package types together, but that might be asking a little much. In the mean time there must be repositories of packages in the type needed for the specific distribution and version. apt for RPM is nearly identical in it's workings to the Debian apt, with the exception that the underlying packages are in RPM format rather than DEB format.

apt for RPM also has the dist-upgrade and I used it on my RH61 system when hooked up to the RH62 repository without any problem. But when I hooked up to the RH73 repository I was afraid that something might go wrong so I cancelled the upgrade. This is my gateway/firewall/proxy box so I didn't really want to get it into a state that it might be down for a while. Everything else went perfectly, didn't even have to touch the machine or reboot (but this is normal in Linux).

Actually, I've seen an app that will create an .RPM from a .DEB file.  I think that I saw it on Freshmeat, but I believe that it was pretty buggy; I'm not that brave, and since Debian has more packages than I'll ever need, I really don't need it.  I really do wish that a default package manager would be agreed upon by the various distributions, though.
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #32 on: 4 November 2002, 05:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tux:

Calcum, that a classic    

have you been eating the wrong mushrooms lately??
That was posted by DOSman
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

dishawjp

• Kudos: 95
    • http://web.lemoyne/~dishawjp
« Reply #33 on: 4 November 2002, 05:50 »
Hi All,

I had some things to do this evening and just got back to playing with the computer.  The upgrade to rpm 4.0.2 went perfectly.  Not something that I'm used to lately :)

I'm going to download the "apt get" binary now, but for giggles, I tried installing xbill again, with the upgraded rpm, and got the following error message:

libXaw3d.so.7 is needed by xbill-2.1-1

No huge deal.  I'm hoping to have better hardware within another week or two and will be upgrading to RH 8 as soon as I can.

I've learned a lot playing with 6.2 but am hoping that things (especially installs) will be a lot smoother with the newest version of RH.

Thanks again to all!

Jim

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #34 on: 4 November 2002, 06:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by DOSman:
I'm going to download the "apt get" binary now, but for giggles, I tried installing xbill again, with the upgraded rpm, and got the following error message:

libXaw3d.so.7 is needed by xbill-2.1-1

No huge deal.  I'm hoping to have better hardware within another week or two and will be upgrading to RH 8 as soon as I can.

I've learned a lot playing with 6.2 but am hoping that things (especially installs) will be a lot smoother with the newest version of RH.

apt will automatically resolve that dependency, although what it is telling you is that xbill depends on that library which isn't installed. You should find an RPM on one of your RedHat CDs under /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS called Xaw3d-1.3-21.i386.rpm or you can download it here.

Actually, that is not the version of xbill that came with RedHat 6.2. You also should have xbill on your CDs that will install and work, or you can download it here.

Of course you can also just click on it in "synapt" to install it, if you get the "synapt" GUI installed that is.

I think you will like RedHat 8.0.

[ November 03, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

dishawjp

• Kudos: 95
    • http://web.lemoyne/~dishawjp
« Reply #35 on: 5 November 2002, 19:14 »
Thanks again void main,

I downloaded the Xaw3d-1.3-21.i386.rpm file you provided the link to, but received a message that the lib file was already installed!  So I tried to reinstall the version of xbill that I had downloaded and was again informed that the lib file was needed.  

Does this mean that the "rpm --updatedb" command I had run somehow failed?  I'm going to try it again tonight just to see.  I even did a "find / -name 'lib<whatever it was>' -print" and it was located in the /lib directory.  Another little Linux mystery to unravel.

But then I followed your link to the appropriate version of xbill for RH 6.2, and it installed perfectly.

Oh, the reason I don't have all the .rpm packages RH 6.2 normally comes with is that the CD I installed from was a single CD that came in the back of a Linux book I bought.  I never did get the complete RH 6.2 set.  Not that it really makes a whole lot of difference.  This whole "experiment" was just to see if I could learn Linux and if I'd enjoy using it.

Now I'm looking at *finally* laying out some cash and getting a new system which will be able to run RH 8.  If things go well, I may have the new hardware by the beginning of next month.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jim

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #36 on: 7 November 2002, 08:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by DOSman:
Thanks again void main,

I downloaded the Xaw3d-1.3-21.i386.rpm file you provided the link to, but received a message that the lib file was already installed!  So I tried to reinstall the version of xbill that I had downloaded and was again informed that the lib file was needed.  

Does this mean that the "rpm --updatedb" command I had run somehow failed?  I'm going to try it again tonight just to see.  I even did a "find / -name 'lib<whatever it was>' -print" and it was located in the /lib directory.  Another little Linux mystery to unravel.

You were trying to install a newer version of Xbill that was built on a newer version of RedHat that has a newer version of the Xaw3d shared library. It's the equivelant to trying to install an app in Microsoft that requires VBRUN40.DLL when you only have VBRUN30.DLL.

A shared library is basically the same thing as a DLL in Microsoft. They both hold binary functions and subroutines that all applications can share rather than having to include that code in every application (reduces bloat, increases speed).

The disadvantage is if you create a new version of the library and change/add/remove functions from the library all of the programs could have problems using that library. So you put a version on the library and only allow programs to use that one version of the library.

Actually usually programs will require that version of the library or newer versions because normally functionality is not taken away, only added to. In your case your system has an older library so xbill would not install (you could have done added "--nodeps" as a parameter and it would have installed anyway but you might have problems trying to run the program for reasons I already mentioned).

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #37 on: 12 December 2002, 16:14 »
Hmm, I need help synaptic say I have two different versions of xinetd installed and it doesn't like that.
Why I have two versions of xinetd install is anybody's guess, what to do what to do?

Hmm, I'm hungry, I think it's lunch time for me.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #38 on: 12 December 2002, 16:19 »
First you might want to try "apt-get update --fix-broken". But if that doesn't work you should be able to remove xinetd (rpm -e xinetd) and then reinstall it which should fix your database. If you made any changes to any of your xinetd configuration files (/etc/xinetd.conf, /etc/xinetd.d/*) you might want to back them up first. Have no idea how you could have got two versions of xinetd installed (unless you forced it without the upgrade option). Then do an "# apt-get install xinetd".

[ December 12, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]