Author Topic: I hate having to ask this, but how do you install programs?  (Read 1487 times)

Dai_Maxwell

• Kudos: 0
I've got about 5 hours total Linux experience under my belt and while I have gotten it connected to my broadband isp, cannot begin to grasp how to open a compressed file.  I mean, I ned to install driver for my soundcard, but before I can even try that, I need to open the file, au88xx-1.1.2.tar.bz2 first.  I tried to dl'd Linzip, and it came compressed, then there are other extensions I'm not familiar with, .rpm, etc,.  Is there an easy explanation somewhere about how to do this?  I've done a bit of searching and have not found t tonight.

Dai

Doctor V

I hate having to ask this, but how do you install programs?
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2002, 08:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by Dai:
I've got about 5 hours total Linux experience under my belt and while I have gotten it connected to my broadband isp, cannot begin to grasp how to open a compressed file.  I mean, I ned to install driver for my soundcard, but before I can even try that, I need to open the file, au88xx-1.1.2.tar.bz2 first.  I tried to dl'd Linzip, and it came compressed, then there are other extensions I'm not familiar with, .rpm, etc,.  Is there an easy explanation somewhere about how to do this?  I've done a bit of searching and have not found t tonight.

Dai

cd to the directory where it is located.

tar xjvf au88xx-1.1.2.tar.bz2

this will create a new directory which you should cd to.

Its probably a good idea to look over the README file in that directory, but usually from here the installation goes like:

./configure

when thats done

make

when thats done

make install

make install and possibly make may require root access.  If it does, it may give you errors conscrning access and stuff like that when you try to.  Get root access by entering

su

-root password

it takes a bit to learn at first, but once you get the hang of installing compressed files it is really easy.

V

Dai_Maxwell

« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2002, 08:39 »
Thanks.

Dai

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2002, 08:52 »
And to think. In Windows all you have to do is double click the executable, click next a couple of times and click finish then your program(and even some drivers) will be installed.

Even the simplest things in Windows is a chore in Linux.

(EDIT)I bet you don't see many people asking how to install programs for Windows. LoL

[ November 17, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2002, 08:59 »
I sure do. People that have never used Windows have the same questions, believe me. And if this person had downloaded the source code to the Windows driver like this guy did they would have a much harder time of things than you will ever have in Linux.

[ November 18, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Doctor V

« Reply #5 on: 18 November 2002, 10:36 »
Just to follow up, in Linux, just like windows, there there is a simple point and click installation method.  Windows applications generally have install programs.  Linux applications do as well, in a sense.  In Linux, the name of the installer is RedHat Package Manager.  Its as easy to use as windows, you just point, click and follow the instructions.  But, not all programs are available in RPM format.  If it is not you have to use the method above, or a similar method. Most programs however are, but some are not.  This is because it takes a bit of time to package the program in RPM format.  So an application will usually be released compressed before it is released as an RPM.  Windows cannot do this.  The installer must be made before a program can be installed.  Also, when you compile a program you manually unzipped you have more control over where it is placed than you do when it is unpackaged with an RPM.  Again, windows does not give you this option.

By the way, the file you are working with had the extension:

.tar.bz2

whenever a file has that extention you use the method above, but the majority of non-rpm files you download have the extension:

.tar.gz

in which case the method you use is exactly the same as above except that instead of

tar xjvf

you use

tar xzvf

V

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #6 on: 19 November 2002, 01:35 »
http://faq.belg88.com/index.php?op=view&t=4

What the heck was the point of the FAQ?!

DC

« Reply #7 on: 19 November 2002, 01:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:
And to think. In Windows all you have to do is double click the executable, click next a couple of times and click finish then your program(and even some drivers) will be installed.

... after which you need to restart your entire computer.

Nuff said, I think (if combined with the RPM post)
GS/CS d- s-: a--- C++ UL+ P+ L++>+++ E W++ N>+ o K- w-- O- M V? PS+>++ PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5+ X R tv+ b+++ DI+ D+ G++ e>++++ h! r- y
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
We take a measurement, the wavefunction will collapse, and one of the bottles of beer will fall

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #8 on: 19 November 2002, 02:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by DC:

... after which you need to restart your entire computer.

Nuff said, I think (if combined with the RPM post)

Depending on what changes the program made, a reboot may not be needed. And it's not the end of the world to reboot either. I'm not that concerned with my "precious uptime."

(although it would be a hastle for web servers and what not since it would mean your site/services/whatever would be unavailable for a short time.)

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: 19 November 2002, 02:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by fett101:
(although it would be a hastle for web servers and what not since it would mean your site/services/whatever would be unavailable for a short time.)

Or an office file or database server with hundreds of users. Believe me, it's much more of a hassle than it should be.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #10 on: 19 November 2002, 02:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:

Even the simplest things in Windows is a chore in Linux.

(EDIT)I bet you don't see many people asking how to install programs for Windows. LoL

[ November 17, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

what the fuck are you talking about... windows doesnt come with a free ZIP program.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Master of Reality

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: 19 November 2002, 02:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Dai:

Dai

http://faq.belg88.com/index.php?op=cat&c=2
Disorder | Rating
Linux User #283518

doublefresh

« Reply #12 on: 19 November 2002, 03:08 »
Actually Windows XP does come with a free Zip program, and all you have to do is a quick search on the net to find winzip which is also free for earlier versions of Windows.

Some of you seem to think every program for Microsoft cost a butt load of money. I can easily prove you WRONG!!!

www.tucows.com
www.cnet.com

Both have thousands of free programs for Windows including Microsoft Office Clones for FREE.

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: 19 November 2002, 03:17 »
Yeah, thank god for GNU and open source developers porting to Win* right? And when did Winzip become free? It's always been trialware/shareware before which doesn't = free.

Master of Reality

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: 19 November 2002, 03:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by doublefresh:
Actually Windows XP does come with a free Zip program, and all you have to do is a quick search on the net to find winzip which is also free for earlier versions of Windows.

Some of you seem to think every program for Microsoft cost a butt load of money. I can easily prove you WRONG!!!

www.tucows.com
www.cnet.com

Both have thousands of free programs for Windows including Microsoft Office Clones for FREE.

i'm not gonna waste my precious bandwaith downloading programs taht should have been included with the OS!!!
Disorder | Rating
Linux User #283518