Author Topic: I hate having to ask this, but how do you install programs?  (Read 1486 times)

LorKorub

• Kudos: 0
I hate having to ask this, but how do you install programs?
« Reply #30 on: 19 November 2002, 16:39 »
Debian offers RPM support as well.  It isn't native, so you have to get the packages via APT or Deselect.
"American English -- the noble language of your superiors"

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #31 on: 19 November 2002, 16:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by doublefresh:
Bah! What I meant to say was since when did RPM become part of the kernel? Obviously it's not part of the kernel.

I'm sure if you had a distro that did not include RPM you could install it later. Just like if you installed Winzip later on Microsoft 98.

I would not consider Winzip to be part of the operating system just as I do not think of RPM as part of the operating system. RPM is an add on.

Even though taskman is not part of the kernel most people would agree it's part of the microsoft operating system. Perhaps someone bought Microsoft office with microsoft 98. I would not consider Microsoft office part of the operating system even though the user may have bought the two together for a special price.

I have read a book or two on Linux and I've installed at least 6 different versions of it at one time or another. I do not consider myself comfortable using Linux yet because simple tasks still take me hours and hours. With time I hope to get better. In the meantime when I need to do something quickly I go with what I know, MS. When I have time to burn I try on Mandrake 9

Tell me something. Is "Add/Remove Programs" part of the Windows kernel? No? Is it part of the operating system? Yes? The RPM database serves the same function as "Add/Remove" programs. You can't install RedHat without RPM so you are wrong, you can't add it later, it's part of the operating system. Is "pkgadd" in Solaris part of the operating system? Yes.

It's the same as RPM in RedHat/Mandrake/SuSe/Connectiva, etc. And it's the same as apt in Debian/Koppix, etc. And it's the same as installp in AIX. They are package management systems. Just like Add/Remove programs in Windows. An integral part of the OS. You *must* have an MCSE because the last time I met someone as clueless as you they had MCSE on their resume. No wait, Zombie just left, I don't believe he had an MCSE. At least he had some sense.

[ November 19, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #32 on: 19 November 2002, 16:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by LorKorub / BOB:
Debian offers RPM support as well.  It isn't native, so you have to get the packages via APT or Deselect.

Debian actually has a superior packaging system to RPM, but we won't get into that.

doublefresh

« Reply #33 on: 20 November 2002, 03:39 »
I've got half an MCSE and only in NT4 it was enough to get me the job I have now.

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #34 on: 20 November 2002, 03:53 »
Are you saying it was the MCSE (or half of one) that got you the job? Or was it you that got you the job?  I've seen many a resume come across my desk with MCSE printed on them, which for some companies gets the person to the next level in the interview process (and that's all it does). But it doesn't mean beans when it comes to who I hire.

And I've never seen a resume with MCSE/2 on it, that would be interesting indeed. The typical MCSE is someone who has never touched a computer, gone through the MCSE program because they heard they could get paid a lot of money to work with computers, and that the MCSE is their ticket. They get to a real job (if they are lucky) and then can't trouble-shoot their way out of a cardboard box. Not all fit this example, but I would go out on a limb and say that most fall into this category.

doublefresh

« Reply #35 on: 20 November 2002, 07:10 »
The bulk of my computer experience began 5 years ago while I was in the USAF. I had a job where I often had a month or more off at a time but I was on call 24/7. To fill my idle time I purchased my first PC from a now defunct vendor in a mail order catalog. It was a PII 32 MB SDRAM 8Gig hard drive with a huge 15

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #36 on: 20 November 2002, 07:38 »
Now you got me more interested in your Air Force time. You don't have to tell me where or what squadron you were in but I am interested in what planes were in your flying squadron? I was a crew chief on fighters for 10 years.

During the second half of that time I went to school at night and got my degree in computer science. Then I retrained into computer programming for the Air Force and spent 5 years as a programmer/admin on mainframe and large UNIX systems. I enjoyed the Air Force and have always liked planes (still do). I decided rather than taking an assignment to Mississippi to become a programming instructor at the tech school I instead got out and started making a decent wad of cash, but that's not what drives me.

As I said before, I'll help you with anything you need to help you get farther with Linux. As you probably have noticed, I like to jump in anyone's case who blindly defends Microsoft. I was *very* heavy into Microsoft since DOS 2.x and didn't start not liking DOS/Windows until I started using UNIX around 10-11 years ago.

I was actually into computers before DOS, Commodore 64 and Trash-80 days. Still I have been a senior Windows and UNIX systems person equally up until about a year ago when I just couldn't in good faith support Microsoft any more. The only time I touch NT and 2000 any more is when I am migrating a customer to Linux in my side business.

doublefresh

« Reply #37 on: 20 November 2002, 07:53 »
Dover AFB, C-5 A and B models. Loadmaster for the 9th AS 1997-2000

HQ would not let us run Unix, said it was a security risk. LOL but we had win 98 on all of our laptops and NT is not very secure either. I had 4 or 5 different tools that could break NT passwords in under 10 minutes and sniffers that could catch passwords as the network traffic went by.

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #38 on: 20 November 2002, 08:08 »
Yeah you weren't in a development data center type of environment so the upper level muckety mucks in those environments don't have a clue about computers, not that the upper level muckety mucks in the data center operations were any heavier in the clue department. I remember using Windows 2.0 and Windows 286 in our scheduling department when I still worked jets.

I have many a ride in the C-5 (flew all the way to Saudi on one). They are one of the most incredible machines ever built. It's really amazing to see them big ass birds in a landing pattern.

The scariest moment I've ever had in the air was also on a C-5. We were flying back from the forward operating location that I was at to the main base the day after the war ended and we flew through a thunderstorm. I thought the wings broke off of the plane because it felt like the bottom just fell out. Everyone flew out of their seats (who weren't buckled in), blankets and everything else flying through the air.

I had grabbed the arm wrests on my seat right when it happened. One of the arm rests actually came loose and broke away from the seat and I was floating in midair above my seat hanging on with one hand, the broken arm wrest in my other hand.

It seemed like this went on for about 30 seconds to a minute but it was probably no more than about 5 seconds in actuality. Nobody got hurt amazingly and we got back in our seats and just looked at each other like are we crashing or not? The rest of the trip back was uneventful (the entire flight was only like 30-60 minutes). As I got off the plane I asked the pilot "what the hell was *that* all about back there??". He just said "what? Oh, just a little turbulence". I felt like asking him if he was on the same flight I was on.

Now that I think about it, I've had a few C-130 rides that were just as scary.

[ November 19, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

doublefresh

« Reply #39 on: 20 November 2002, 08:39 »
LOL, I've got over 1500 hrs on the C-5. She can be tempermental as hell. The jet breaks more often than a fed X delivery truck. I've sat on runways all over the world for as long as a week waiting for parts. I've also flown gear down half way around the world as well as flown with two hydro sytems misting all over the cargo compartment. With a max takeoff weight of 769,000 (840,000 wartime) lbs she's one of the largest in the world. Six greyhound buses or 2 M1A1 tanks will fit in her belly with room for another 80+ pax upstairs. Put her on her knees and she can take it from both ends at the same time. Pallets in the rear and vehicles in the front or the otherway around. My coolest ever flight was bringing some spec ops forces into Jordan. We landed opened the front, they drove their dune buggies with 50 cal guns off the front ramp and we flew out again.