Author Topic: Slackware Live OS\CD Problems  (Read 498 times)

anphanax

• Kudos: 11
    • http://june.tripod.com
Slackware Live OS\CD Problems
« on: 20 November 2003, 05:06 »
When I installed AIM (the one from AOL for linux), I couldn't figure out why my font was all blocks. Turns out it needs to be in a special folder to work right (common sense). So I moved it there, only to discover that, not only a) the font was blocky still, but b) my installed program had dissapeared off the face of the earth. I even ran it via Konquerer's file browser. Long story short, IDK, if I want slackware i'll just install it to my HD. I couldn't figure out what to do with GAIM, since I couldn't find a binary. It's interesting how this slackware wont open RPM packages, binaries or whatever the hell they are (i'm obviously new to this stuff). I don't recall seeing a compiler on my live CD. On other thing. I tried to run "Konsole" and ended up with this wierd filemanager that wasn't a command line prompt. Another "WTF". I would run it in a lower run-level except I want access to at least a basic gui, since it's hard to implement WYSIWYG word processors and another stuff via text iface. I think i'll be sticking with Knoppix at least for LiveOSs.

[ November 19, 2003: Message edited by: anphanax ]

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
Slackware Live OS\CD Problems
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2003, 11:25 »
quote:

It's interesting how this slackware wont open RPM packages, binaries or whatever the hell they are (i'm obviously new to this stuff).

Slackware won't do that, as it uses its own packageing system instead of RPMs.

If software can be free, why can't dolphins?
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?