Author Topic: startup loop  (Read 332 times)

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
startup loop
« on: 27 July 2002, 21:54 »
I just installed Evil Entity, which is based on SlackWare. It is using lilo. I start my computer, it says pick which OS to boot, i choose the only one which is 'Linux' it then proceeds and says
Loadin Linux ................
then my computer just restarts. It is the only OS on that comp. Any clu what causes this?
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

sporkme

• Kudos: 149
    • http://sporkme.net/
startup loop
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2002, 13:29 »
so it goes all the way down to post?  dry booting something from a diskette
just that you do not take an interest in politics does not mean that politics will not take an interest in you.  -pericles 430 b.c.

DC

• Kudos: 0
startup loop
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2002, 18:05 »
Why do you need to choose it? Lilo has a 'default' option.

Anyways. Rebooting is something it shouldn't do automatically.... Unless your default runlevel is 6. But then i'd do it later (nice thing to test btw - does that work?)

I take it you have a bootdisk (if not, get one - read the 'bootdisk howto' if you need to find one).
Then check all lilo-settings (use the lilo-howto), run lilo and try again.

If that doesn't work, maybe the kernel is faulty. Try rebuilding it (kernel-howto if you don't know how to do that (those howto's are useful thingies)). Remember to run lilo after that or it won't boot. That's all I can think of atm.

If that doesn't work, try and find all info available (error messages, motherboard/bios type, HD etc etc) and say what happened.

Or post it on usenet, I think those guys are smarter (well, the guru's there are).
GS/CS d- s-: a--- C++ UL+ P+ L++>+++ E W++ N>+ o K- w-- O- M V? PS+>++ PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5+ X R tv+ b+++ DI+ D+ G++ e>++++ h! r- y
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
We take a measurement, the wavefunction will collapse, and one of the bottles of beer will fall