Author Topic: just got freeBSD...help...  (Read 990 times)

trc3

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.sk8mafia4life.com
just got freeBSD...help...
« Reply #15 on: 22 April 2002, 04:03 »
Ok, well ive gotten freeBSD installed, but i cant get it to recognize my mouse. I have a microsuck intelli mouse or whatever its called the optical one, and ive also got a sony ps/2 mouse, but i cant get either one to work. Also i dont know what video card i have, i have one of those god awful sony vaio computers, i think it has some sort of video card built into the motherboard(is this possible)? i dunno besides not knowing the video card everything has been smooth except i still cant get a GUI. But ive been playing around with command line to little avail...Does anyone know how i could go about finding out what video card i have?...
Thanks in advance to anyone with help, also thanks to all the people that replied with help.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #16 on: 22 April 2002, 04:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by trc3:
Ok, well ive gotten freeBSD installed, but i cant get it to recognize my mouse. I have a microsuck intelli mouse or whatever its called the optical one, and ive also got a sony ps/2 mouse, but i cant get either one to work. Also i dont know what video card i have, i have one of those god awful sony vaio computers, i think it has some sort of video card built into the motherboard(is this possible)? i dunno besides not knowing the video card everything has been smooth except i still cant get a GUI. But ive been playing around with command line to little avail...Does anyone know how i could go about finding out what video card i have?...
Thanks in advance to anyone with help, also thanks to all the people that replied with help.

i have a video card built into my (other) motherboard, i currently cannot get it to work under red hat 7.2
Onboard shit is a bitch
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

MikeU

« Reply #17 on: 23 April 2002, 12:08 »
I have the exact mouse.  Microsoft USB Optical Intellimouse.  And I got it to work fine on FreeBSD.

I'll try to explain how.

do a post install configuration:
type at the prompt:
/stand/sysinstall

go to the menu:
Configure -> Mouse
press enter on enable, and just say it is working even if it isn't.
Then exit, the configuration.

Depending on which XFree86 you installed, this differs from 3.* to 4.* versions.  But I'll explain the 4.1.* because that comes in the ports collection with FreeBSD.
If you ran the 'xf86config' script, it'll make a the file:
/etc/X11/XF86Config

xf86config never gets my mouse correct, so i have to edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file manually

open it up ( using ee, which comes with FreeBSD, or if you're comfortable with vi, use vi, but ee is hella easy )
type:
ee /etc/X11/XF86Config

then scroll down to where it says this: **********************************************************************
# Core Pointer's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************
Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

Identifier   "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option    "Protocol"   "Auto"
    Option    "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"
    Option   "ZAxisMapping"   "4 5"

-------------------------------------------------------
these are the exact lines in my file which makes my mouse work perfectly.  The Mouse1 is the default identifier.  /dev/sysmouse refers the the mouse daemon ( moused ).  The protocol is what xf86config always fucks up with my mouse, it used "Intellimouse", which made my mouse go to the corner all the time.  "Auto" makes it work.  Go figure.  ZAxisMapping is for the mouse wheel.

once you edit it, and save it, ( using ee, just press escape, exit, and when you exit, it'll ask if you want to save it ).

then that should get your mouse working in X windows.

As for your video card, I have no clue.  ;o)
type at the prompt:
dmesg

then use scroll lock to scroll up with the arrows.  My video card is labeled:
pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib1
pci1: <NVidia GeForce DDR graphics accelerator> at 0.0 irq 10

Look for something similar, that should give you an idea what your video card is.  Also, when you start up your computer, the first thing you should see is your video card's bios.  That should also give you an idea what your video card is.  Unless you got something like a compaq, which hides all the bios details from the user.  Then you'd have to rely on dmesg.

If that doesn't work, you'd have a lot better luck asking the freebsd-newbies email list.  They're always helpful, but you need to give as much details as you possibly can. Even if it doesn't mean much to you, it could determine whether people will be able to help you or not.

I hope this helped.

Mike U

trc3

• http://www.sk8mafia4life.com
« Reply #18 on: 23 April 2002, 12:40 »
First off i just want to say thanks to all of you for your help. Ok, ive gotten it to recognize my other mouse but not the Microsoft one, but i still cant get the video card right. Its a Direct AGP intel810E, i searched on google and found a few things about problems with linux and these video cards. But anyways it had the my card in the list but i cant get it to work, in the list it says intel810, mines a intel810E is their a diffrence? Also i think it might have something to do with the monitor, im not completly sure i have the settings right. Anyways hopfully ill get things worked out soon.