Author Topic: The beast is out Get it now  (Read 2170 times)

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
The beast is out Get it now
« Reply #15 on: 2 October 2002, 18:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Master of Reality / Bob:
fuck, are you serious??!!! I got 180 Kb/s bandwith on the server i dled from.... and that was right when after i posted "i will get it after i hear your reviews"
In fact it took 4 hours for all the images, but then i accidentally deleted one and dled it again in less than 3 hours (started before i went to school, finished before lunch)
The only problem is that i dont hav and CD/R
ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/8.0/en/iso/i386/

Well, I started downloading directly from RedHat before the mirrors actually had it available (big mistake on release day).  I should have killed the downloads earlier but I wasn't in a huge hurry. I was able to keep what was already downloaded and resume the transfers from a mirror using ncftpget.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

RudeCat7

• Kudos: 109
« Reply #16 on: 2 October 2002, 18:46 »
Geeeeeeeeeeesh!!!!!! You can barely get on! And if you do it wants to take up to 60 hours!

And linux is dead?

Yeah, release day is a bad time to try and download.  :(
*meow!* I didn't say Linux was easier, I said it was better, Dumbass!

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #17 on: 2 October 2002, 22:50 »
it looks like redhat8.0 is a going to be a kick ass solution for a desktop os. i am downloading it now, in fact, i have about 10 minutes left and then its time to burn cds. I watched the flash video, checked the site, and i can say that i am very excited to install it. i am currently learning how to setup and administer a basic linux server using redhat7.0 (it shipped with the book) and already enjoy using linux. I was using suse, but i havent booted into it for a while. i think im going to wipe that drive and put redhat8.0 on it instead. 8.0 looks, easy (if thats the right word). something that a lot of people could easily switch to.
ecsyle-one

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
« Reply #18 on: 2 October 2002, 23:01 »
Correct me if am wrong, but doesnt Gnome have an Xpish look to it? I am talking about system settings and they way its layed out.

This kinda pisses me off.
Yeah

pkd_lives

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #19 on: 2 October 2002, 23:04 »
Correction : XP looks like Gnome - now that pisses me off.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #20 on: 2 October 2002, 23:13 »
RedHat 8.0 looks kinda soft, I might d/l it anyway though. void, how come this is your OS of choice? I would have thought you were a Slackware man? Or is it because RedHat has become the 'industry standard'

Wow, this is my 500th post, thats quite a lot.

[ October 03, 2002: Message edited by: Tux ]

Contains scenes of mild peril.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #21 on: 3 October 2002, 00:15 »
I think he likes RPMs
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #22 on: 3 October 2002, 01:50 »
I have liked RedHat since about version 3 for many reasons. Two of them you already mentioned.

- I like RPM.
- More things are available as it has become the defacto standard.
- I believe their system is laid out more sensibly.
- Software is kept up to date, usually configured the way I like it, and more times than not everything just plain works.
- Since I picked it as my primary back around version 3 over the Slackware (used to prefer Slackware) I just never had a reason to switch back, it worked.
- I don't believe they will go out of business anytime soon and for the most part they haven't as a business done anything to piss me off.
- I believe they are the most "polished". Because they are a business it's easier to recommend as the distro of choice for IT departments.
- Familiarity
- Good support and problem resolution
- Quick patches and security updates

Now, there are disadvantages relating to the above as well. Because they are the most popular they are more of a target for script kiddies. You definitely need to keep up on upgrades and security patches as script kiddies look for default distribution installs with known vulnerabilities. If you update your software, even if the updates themselves expose new vulnerabilities script kiddies are usually thwarted. An older default RedHat install which is insecurely configured usually can be owned by script kiddies fairly easily. Like anything else you need to be smart and keep your system upgraded and securely configured. But I believe the pros far outweigh the cons.

I also like Debian a lot and apt is better than RPM in many ways but there are many disadvantages to using Debian, and apt alone usually isn't enough to overcome those disadvantages. I use Debian on Sparc for example. FreeBSD is also a good *NIX but I like RedHat for desktop use and most server uses. Now these are only my *opinions*. I try not to push these opinions heavily and the only reason I expressed my opinions about RedHat are because you asked me. I think it's great if people use Mandrake, or SuSe, or any other distro (besides Lindows). I obviously am in more of a position to help someone who has chosen RedHat so I may favor it in my recommendations.

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

flap

• Kudos: 137
« Reply #23 on: 3 October 2002, 02:40 »
just installed it. Does anyone else find that if you right click on the panel in kde, then go to panel/remove/button the panel crashes?
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #24 on: 3 October 2002, 02:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by flap:
just installed it. Does anyone else find that if you right click on the panel in kde, then go to panel/remove/button the panel crashes?

Haven't tried it but such behaviour is common in *.0 releases which tend to be buggy.

Master of Reality

• VIP
« Reply #25 on: 3 October 2002, 06:58 »
I just burned Red Hat 8.0 on my only CDs (luckily they are CD/RW) and it wouldnt boot off them. I might make a boot disk and try that, but i might be too lazy.
Disorder | Rating
Linux User #283518

Master of Reality

• VIP
« Reply #26 on: 3 October 2002, 07:02 »
i think just my first CD is PhUx0r3|) it wont mount. I will burn it again and try again.
Disorder | Rating
Linux User #283518

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #27 on: 3 October 2002, 21:28 »
Well, I gave it a clean install on a separate partition on my laptop and have been playing with it for about an hour now. Up to this point here are my thoughts: IT FUCKING SUCKS! Those KDE guys were right. Red Hat really fucked this thing up. I would have to say my initial impression is this is the single worst version of Red Hat I have ever used. And I've used them all. In fact, it reminds me a lot of what I don't like about Mandrake (which means that maybe the Mandrake users would like it).

Firt time I logged in I thought I would check out the new Gnome. It certainly didn't look like Gnome and the first thing that happened is the damn thing crashed and restarted the desktop. Ok, time to check out how they fucked up KDE.

It might be better for n00bs as they have added a few *nice* apps most notably a good software package installer and some other graphical system configuration tools. But I want my non-hacked KDE back! I got most of KDE configured back the way I like it but the fonts are fucked.

I won't give up on it just yet, I mean it does have the latest Evolution, OpenOffice, KDE, etc, but they completely fucked up what people liked about each desktop. They added shit to KDE that worked half assed. They changed a lot of the ICONS. I'm pissed!         I am tempted to just uninstall KDE and get the latest RPMS from KDE's web site. And just as tempted to drop Red Hat altogether for Debian.  

But, we'll see if enough people like me complain enough so that when 8.1 comes out they ditch their customizations and BlueCurve shit and get their heads out of their asses. I certainly see what all the fuss was about on the KDE news groups. I am with them on this one.  KDE 3.x worked *perfectly* on Red Hat 7.3. What comes with 8.0 is a pile of customized crap.

Needless to say I will not be "upgrading" any other machines just yet. It's odd that they could go from what I consider to be their best release in 7.3 to their worst in 8.0.

[ October 03, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #28 on: 3 October 2002, 10:09 »
i have installed redhat8.0 and played with it for a bit as well void main, and i have mixed opinions. First off, a little background. i do not know linux. I have used linux for all of about 1 month (regularly). i use mac osx jaguar as my main os.
It seems that redhat 8.0 has made it easy for the noob (me) to jump into linux and just use it. Its clean feeling. there isnt alot going on when you boot into it. its a pretty face on top of a powerful os. But if i wanted that id use osX jaguar (which i do). I think there should be a choice during install to choose the new Bluecurve style, or the tried and true old style. add it to the options when you choose to use kde, gnome etc.
 the one thing about linux was it made you learn how to use a computer. with this new redhat, and the simplified front to it, you really wont have to. which is good for people looking to make the switch, but dont want to dive right into it and learn how to use a computer. i want to be thrown into it, forced to learn it. Redhat 8 is friendly, but i wouldnt switch from osX. Im sure a lot of people looking to switch from windows would love the new redhat, whereas a lot of veteran linux users might switch distros. i dont know enough about linux to give a good assesment of this package though. it is good for the "noobs", something a little less intimidating.
i like redhat7. it is what im currently learning (im reading this book, "Linux Adminstration, a Beginers Guide", and redhat 7.0 shipped with it). I like the command line, probably because of the years using autocad. i like how insanely customizable it is. its fun. i will keep 8.0 on and play with it for now, but redhat 7 is a lot more "fun"
ecsyle_one

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #29 on: 3 October 2002, 10:32 »
I am calmed down now.    I agree that the new Red Hat should be much better for the n00bs. And they did a lot more than just create a theme for both Gnome and KDE (I was under the impression that is all they did). I think the new graphical tools are excellent for the n00b. What's underneath is all I'm really concerned about anyhow. I don't actually use a GUI for much more than opening up a few terminal windows, opening up Konqueror, and Evolution for Email so what's the difference right? Right.

I still can't get the fonts right in Konqueror which is probably the single biggest gripe I have right now. Konqueror used to look much better than Mozilla for fonts in my opinion. In RH8 Mozilla doesn't look much better than it did before but Konqueror is hosed (I hope that wasn't intentional).

So I'll leave my initial review as it is. I have a feeling any RedHat lover would have the same initial reaction I had. For those people who didn't like RedHat before, maybe this is what they were wanting.