Author Topic: What needs to be done about Linux  (Read 1422 times)

slave

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
What needs to be done about Linux
« Reply #15 on: 21 November 2003, 04:19 »
Flap's right.  We don't want GNU/Linux to become like Windows.

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #16 on: 21 November 2003, 05:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by Linux User #5225982375:

Linux on the other hand is being adopted everywhere - 1 million computers in China, the govt. of Brazil, Munich, and many other places I can't remember.  Linux will win for the same reason Windows beat out OS/2 back in the day - not because it's better than the competition, but because it's cheap and "good enough" to be used.

Thats one million this year, the chinese consortium wants AT LEAST 200 million copies of linux installed in total

web page

solarismka

« Reply #17 on: 21 November 2003, 08:20 »
I think Linux has a lot going for the desktop.  The usual rehtoric that I here form the windows children ALWAYS falls flat on their face.

Its the most standardized desktop i've seen and its way easier to use and maintain than windows.

The thing I see is the issue with fedora.

RH8 and 9 were perfect and only needed polishing here and there.  However fedora went off the deep end and seemed to start all over again.  

If they just sat down and worked out all the bugs out in the RH bugzilla list the next release of fedora would be smashing!!!!

I don't mind them releasing every 5 to 6 months, just make sure all the errors are gone first from the batas makeing the alpha pritty much perfect.

I hope they do this with there next release with fedora and the like since it does have major potential.

I can see people who use macs having a problem with Linux.  But I don't see it with windows users.  The fact is that Linux is suppirior to windows period.  Infact if Longwhore comes out the way its planed that would really be the finnal nail in the coffine.  Nobody wants DRM.  Well, at least DRM in that way.  

Micosoft, no matter how you look at it will be gone in a couple of years.

The people who are happy with windows will always stick to their current version.  Meaining the people that use xp will stick to xpee and the people who get longwhore are eather gonna downgrade or move to something else like Linux.

So Linux also has pleanty of room to grow because of that too.
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

solarismka

« Reply #18 on: 21 November 2003, 08:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by ThePreacher:

First thing you need to know is that in order to make it so an OS can play DVD's legally, they must buy a license. This is not a cheap license, and the cost is absorbed by the end user of the product. You wonder why windows XP and Mac OS X cost money, this is part of the reason. Its funny how Windows and Mac users never complain about having to purchase software, but some linux users are so fucking lazy and cheap, that they dont want to spend a dime for things they want. You wonder why no one takes linux seriously. Im not for breaking the law, and neither are the linux companies or they would just include DeCSS on the install disc. My idea is not impractical, in fact it is logical. You say we shouldnt bow down to the DMCA, but if we dont linux will never be able to compete. We need a legal implementation of a linux dvd player.

yes its called xine!  :D
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
« Reply #19 on: 21 November 2003, 19:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by -=Solaris.M.K.A=-:

yes its called xine!   :D  

You obviously know absolutely nothing about linux dvd. I wont blame you for your ignorance though. Xine does not play encrypted DVD's legally. It can play unencrypted DVD's legally, however in order to play encrypted DVD's you must use DeCSS, which might I add is an illegal thing to use in the United States. This hasnt stopped too many people, however I think it is time for a legal alternative on linux.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #20 on: 21 November 2003, 20:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by ThePreacher:

Xine does not play encrypted DVD's legally. It can play unencrypted DVD's legally, however in order to play encrypted DVD's you must use DeCSS, which might I add is an illegal thing to use in the United States.

That is subject to debate.  Xine does not use DeCSS. Xine uses libdvdcss.  

Check out shaolinuxtemple.

Libdvdcss has not (yet) been ruled illegal.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55

suselinux

« Reply #22 on: 23 November 2003, 06:43 »
A standard Lib, Devel, and API set should be included with each version of the linux kernel so each that each distro has the same basic libs Devels and APIs this way if you make an RPM that needs anything that is not on the list of the latest set of Standards, you include it in your RPM (standard set includes libssl9.2 but your Binary needs libssl1.5 you include libssl1.5 in your RPM) , and TADA no dependancy hell.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #23 on: 23 November 2003, 10:54 »
quote:
Yes it is!
All lower levels are unix based.
They just made a mess of it.

No... it ISN'T.

BeOS has some POSIX compliance, but it was built new from the ground up. Be OS has a whole hella lot more in common with Mac OS 9 than it does any of the UNIX clones.

It might use a UNIXesque kernel,

I don't have time to finish this. I win
Go the fuck ~

suselinux

« Reply #24 on: 23 November 2003, 12:21 »
from the book "The BeOS Bible"

quote:
 Unix is an operating system, and BeOS is an operating system, but BeOS is not a Unix-based operating system. BeOS is, however, POSIX-compliant, just like Unix. That means that BeOS has built into it a core set of command structures that are agreed upon by international committee as a standard to provide a degree of interoperability between disparate operating systems. What this means to users is that if they've used one POSIX-compliant operating system, they can probably use another without much difficulty (at least the command-line part). It also means that programs can be ported from one platform to the other with minimal changes.

the web page I found this on

The Book

Faust

« Reply #25 on: 23 November 2003, 20:32 »
Already been posted, but heres more.  Its in devel.  That said read flaps post, we can already play dvds we legally own so who cares about some propreitary pos?  It's not like we're murdering kiddies or commiting "vile piracy" by playing our own legally bought dvds with free software.

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-04-04-007-04-NW

quote:
Problem #1 - The explosive pace of Linux development makes it difficult for end-users to stay put.

You dont actually have to upgrade you know...

quote:
If there was a desktop Linux distribution that followed this model

To me, Debian is a desktop distro.  :)  Go try it, you might be pleased, although I will also admit it has a long way to go before it becomes a *popular* desktop distro...  the installer is obviously ugly as hell, altho at least the module selection part is rumoured to be getting easier soon.

quote:
Problem #2 - No easy way to install programs, especially 3rd party programs.

true, i love apt get but typing / synaptic / other isn't for everyone.

Everything else I definitely agree with, thanks for the post LU.

quote:
Of course I don't know this for a fact but that is how I forsee it happening.

FUD hazy, check back later sayeth the mystical eight ball.  :-P  :-P  :-P

quote:
I say that the desktop is best left to Mac OS X.

The desktop isn't going to be "left" to anyone.  If you are saying that the competition should leave Apple alone then what are you scared of?  :-P  Apple is a company, and companies can go bankrupt.  Unless you can disillusion every single geek then Free Software will never die.  Neither will the Linux kernel unless it's replaced by something better in the eyes of the Free Software community, cos without marketing it's survival of the best.  Eventually we will win.  Sorry, we can wait decades if need be but we can't go bankrupt or die like any company pushing proprietary software can, and all companies die given enough time.  :)
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

insomnia

« Reply #26 on: 23 November 2003, 22:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by evil fucking bastard jimmy james:

No... it ISN'T.

BeOS has some POSIX compliance, but it was built new from the ground up. Be OS has a whole hella lot more in common with Mac OS 9 than it does any of the UNIX clones.

It might use a UNIXesque kernel,

I don't have time to finish this. I win

Did you ever use UNIX?  

From their own user website.

=================================================
Is BeOS similar to Unix? Is there a GUI and command line, is it multiuser, etc.?

The BeOS was influenced by a number of operating systems, and Unix is certainly among them. To be very general about it, you might say that the BeOS is more similar to Unix at the lower levels and more like the Mac OS or Windows at the higher levels. There is a GUI and a command line interface. The BeOS is not currently multiuser in the Unix sense.
=================================================

Like I said: The lower levels are UNIX based.

quote:
The desktop isn't going to be "left" to anyone. If you are saying that the competition should leave Apple alone then what are you scared of? :-P Apple is a company, and companies can go bankrupt. Unless you can disillusion every single geek then Free Software will never die. Neither will the Linux kernel unless it's replaced by something better in the eyes of the Free Software community, cos without marketing it's survival of the best. Eventually we will win. Sorry, we can wait decades if need be but we can't go bankrupt or die like any company pushing proprietary software can, and all companies die given enough time. :)

I coudn't agree more.

[ November 23, 2003: Message edited by: insomnia ]

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
« Reply #27 on: 24 November 2003, 17:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by Faust:
Already been posted, but heres more.  Its in devel.  That said read flaps post, we can already play dvds we legally own so who cares about some propreitary pos?  It's not like we're murdering kiddies or commiting "vile piracy" by playing our own legally bought dvds with free software.

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-04-04-007-04-NW

Ok Faust and Xeen you obviously didnt actually read the links for LinDVD. Here is a quote from the website.

quote:

Can I get a copy of LinDVD?
LinDVD, InterVideo's Linux software DVD player, is currently available only to manufacturers for evaluation and integration.

So is there a way to play DVD's legally in linux?
NO!!!!!

As for the comment from M. O'brien about xine not needing DeCSS, this is true, however no legal content descrambling software is available for linux. Here is a quote from http://dvd.sourceforge.net/xine-howto/en_GB/html/howto-5.html

quote:

DVD support in xine is a little complex due to the uncertain legal situation regarding software capable of decoding DVDs encrypted with the Content Scrambling System (CSS). If you wish to just watch un-encrypted DVDs with no support for menus, title selection or multiple-angles, the bundled xine DVD plugin will suffice. In general, however, most DVDs are encrypted and most people want support for the more advanced features.

Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

insomnia

« Reply #28 on: 24 November 2003, 19:04 »
Who cares about those absurt rules.
Ignore them.
As far as I'm concerned they don't exist.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

Faust

« Reply #29 on: 25 November 2003, 02:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by Preacher:
Ok Faust and Xeen you obviously didnt actually read the links for LinDVD. Here is a quote from the website.

quote:
Originally posted by Faust:
Its in devel.

:-P

[ November 24, 2003: Message edited by: Faust ]

[ November 24, 2003: Message edited by: Faust ]

Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html