Author Topic: oh man linux user must read this one  (Read 1176 times)

mc0282

• Kudos: 0
oh man linux user must read this one
« on: 6 April 2003, 09:09 »
http://forums.com.com/group/zd.News.Talkback/zdnn/tb.tpt/@threa [email]d@167548@forward@1@D-,D@ALL/@article@167548?EXP=ALL&VWM=hr&ROS=1&PAGETP=2100&SHOST=zdnet.com.com[/email]&NODEID=1104

This guy really piss me the fuck off, i want to find  his address kick his fucking ass. AHH

[ April 05, 2003: Message edited by: mc0282 ]

huh, what?

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #1 on: 6 April 2003, 09:42 »
Don't get angry at that moron, Linux will have the last laugh.  In 3-4 years Microsoft will lose almost all of their desktop market share.  With IE or without.

Brad

« Reply #2 on: 6 April 2003, 11:30 »
Let me write this a second time (fugging browser crashed when I went to copy my reply to the store). Weather or not Linux is ready for desktop use (expecially for your average user) is a valid debate, IMO, but as for servers, using Windows is plain stupid, and nothing less. It will set you back hundreds, if not thousands of dollars (per computer), and will lead to countless security holes. Many Linux distros are also very easy to install, and Mandrake Linux installed all server applications perfectly, without the need for me to set up any config files, besides making a few preference changes.

Of course it's not the best distro for servers, but it's still many times better than Windows, with a lot less security holes and bugs, and can be installed without a usless GUI. This pretty much addresses the stupid comment about spending 6 hours working on sendmail, but six hours is still a lot better than the MONTHS that it takes for Microsoft to release security, and bug patches (if ever). As for the source based distros, while harder to install, and take longer, end up having much better preformance, which will save you money, rather than cost you, like with Windows.

[ April 06, 2003: Message edited by: Brad ]

slave

« Reply #3 on: 6 April 2003, 12:40 »
The real problem is not that Microsoft bundles a web browser with their OS as the goon wrongly assumes, but that they leverage their monopoly to effectively eleminate all competition.  If Apple controlled 95% of the desktop market and had been known to use illegal tactics to get rid of other browsers, we'd be seeing this kind of stuff leveled at them.  They also used for *forbid* OEMS from including their own web browsers, etc. with the operating system.

This has to be my favorite:

quote:

Those of the anti-microsoft crowd either refuse to acknowledge the fact that an operating system in this day and age needs to be able to render HTML out of the box just as much as it needs to be able to render ASCII; or they're complete idiots.

Ha moron Linux comes with about 3-6 different web browsers, so I think it can render HTML just fine! (unless of course the site is designed with html-breaking frontpage crippleware)

WHAT A DOUCHE

SAJChurchey

• http://sajchurchey.htmlplanet.com
« Reply #4 on: 7 April 2003, 03:07 »
quote:
Linux Sysadmins who would prefer to spend 6 hours working past sendmail build errors instead of just double clicking "SETUP" from their Exchange CD, going home, and having a life -- perhaps even a girlfriend.

That really pisses me off.  this fucker has to go  :mad:
SAJChurchey                    

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #5 on: 7 April 2003, 07:58 »
In the words made famous by Bugs Bunny: WHUDDA MAROON!    :D  .  
quote:
Those of the anti-microsoft crowd either refuse to acknowledge the fact that an operating system in this day and age needs to be able to render HTML out of the box just as much as it needs to be able to render ASCII; or they're complete idiots. It does not matter that Microsoft holds a virtual monopoly on the desktop computing market. The fact remains that if an operating system comes out of the box without the ability to render HTML, it is a defective or incomplete product.
Since when?(!)    :eek:    The OS doesn't "render" HTML, and it doesn't "render" ASCII either! There are web browsers to do the former, and text editors/word processors to do the latter. Not only that, but Linux comes with lots more of each than any Winderz (l)user ever dreamed of.      
quote:
I think the Anti-Microsoft crowd should spend a little more time concentrating on trying to make their OS attractive to developers instead of complaining about the architecture of Microsoft's end-user desktop operating system, which, honestly, doesn't concern most of the end-users who use the product.
Oh really?(!)    :eek:    Let's see... With Linux, I got: GCC (compilers/linkers), Qt Designer (GUI-based programming aid/graphical class library), KDevelop (KDE programming aid/GUI class library), Glade (GNOME programming aid/GTK+, GDK class libs), Python, Perl, Ruby (very powerful scripting languages and interpreters), GDB (debugger) KDeBug (Graphical front-end for GDB), automake (Makefile manager), autoconf (configuration manager), EMACS, XEMACS, Vim, and Kate (all text editors geared to writing code). I also installed FOX (graphical class libs + really kewel freebies) as I like it better than Qt or KDevelop. How much did all that cost me? NOTHING!:     all these development tools were either right there on the Linux install CDs, or available to download for free! What did I get for doing Winderz development when I had Win 95? NOTHING!.     I had to pop for $100 to get Borland's C++Builder/Delphi   :mad:   (and it would have cost a helluva lot more, except for the fact that Win 9x was already on the way out). So what more can we do to make Linux more attractive to developers?

Oh well, st00pid is as st00pid does.

Their fundamental design flaws are completely concealed by their superficial design flaws.

[ April 06, 2003: Message edited by: jtpenrod ]

Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Lord C

• Kudos: 15
    • http://www.lordcalvin.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: 7 April 2003, 22:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by Linux User #5225982375:
Don't get angry at that moron, Linux will have the last laugh.  In 3-4 years Microsoft will lose almost all of their desktop market share.  With IE or without.

tr00 dat  :D

Windows codename Longhorn ( i beleive to be the next home-user OS from M$ ) will be so0o0o full of piracy protection  i doubt people will stick with it for long, even with its new skinned look (more babyish effects, to follow on from msn messenger5 and XP)

I mean come on, like over 90% of people i know who use a PC, do so for downloading mp3s/films and such. do they really wanna stop 'cos m$ says so?

Plus the fact Linux is getting a lot nicer looking. and gradually becoming more user friendly.
Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Linux user #348855

slave

« Reply #7 on: 8 April 2003, 07:37 »
Yeah the handcuffware in Longhorn will be a definite turnoff for most people.  I don't even think Zombie would buy Longhorn.

Lord C

• Kudos: 15
    • http://www.lordcalvin.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: 8 April 2003, 22:29 »
Who 'buys' M$ products anyway!? rofl
Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Linux user #348855

mattymanx

« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2003, 05:55 »
I wonder how much M$ paid that guy to write that stuff.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #10 on: 10 April 2003, 12:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by Linux User #5225982375:
Yeah the handcuffware in Longhorn will be a definite turnoff for most people.  I don't even think Zombie would buy Longhorn.

tough words, let's hope they ring true.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
« Reply #11 on: 14 April 2003, 01:43 »
*cough* What about mac os ?

Its practicaly BSD so that makes it what to Linux ? Like its second cousin or something ?

What is this guy talking about ? Linux not being able to render HTMl right out of the box.

Im not a linux expert so im clueless. However i do know that Pixars last production was done on linux workstations.

i think ...
All your base are belong to us.

Faust

« Reply #12 on: 14 April 2003, 05:14 »
Linux can "render" html out of the box.  The guy doesn have a fucking clue.  Also a lot of Pixar films are made w/ linux - toy story (both) and shrek for a start.  Also the new Lord of the Rings movies - made on a big linux cluster.  I'd like to see Windows scale to that.  
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #13 on: 14 April 2003, 12:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by mushrooomprince:
*cough* What about mac os ?

Its practicaly BSD so that makes it what to Linux ? Like its second cousin or something ?

what about it?
main difference is macOSX is proprietary, it's more like a money grabbing illegitimate brother in law to linux in my opinion.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Faust

« Reply #14 on: 14 April 2003, 14:23 »
^^^  Good to hear.  
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html