Author Topic: oh man linux user must read this one  (Read 1178 times)

Lord C

• Kudos: 15
    • http://www.lordcalvin.co.uk/
oh man linux user must read this one
« Reply #15 on: 14 April 2003, 20:49 »
ROFL! well said Calum tbfh.
Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Linux user #348855

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #16 on: 14 April 2003, 21:58 »
quote:
*cough* What about mac os ?

Its practicaly BSD so that makes it what to Linux ? Like its second cousin or something ?

the difference is mac osX is very good at what it does, unlike windows. so windows is the greedy, lazy, get rich quick, pill popping brother, and mac osX is the intelligent, succesful, "clean" brother. Linux is the mechanic. He is smart, he can do everything, but he just likes to fuck around under the hood.

why does everyone hate macs?? i dont know. because it costs money? not a very good reason.

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #17 on: 14 April 2003, 22:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by BaDDaSS[Mandrake]:
ROFL! well said Calum tbfh.

What are you laughing at? Have you ever used OS X? I really doubt it! Let me quote what a Mac add reads:

"Sends other Unix boxes to /dev/null"

Ignorant bastard.

[ April 14, 2003: Message edited by: Panos ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #18 on: 14 April 2003, 22:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by ecsyle:

the difference is mac osX is very good at what it does, unlike windows. so windows is the greedy, lazy, get rich quick, pill popping brother, and mac osX is the intelligent, succesful, "clean" brother. Linux is the mechanic. He is smart, he can do everything, but he just likes to fuck around under the hood.

why does everyone hate macs?? i dont know. because it costs money? not a very good reason.

i find it difficult to believe you are ignoring the huge "free as in freedom" situation here.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Pantso

« Reply #19 on: 14 April 2003, 22:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum: crusader for peace & freedom:

i find it difficult to believe you are ignoring the huge "free as in freedom" situation here.

OS X is not free. Period. I also don't see how it could ever be "free". I would certainly prefer it though since it gives me the opportunity to install a lot of free software titles on my Mac. And believe me, many people will discover "free software" because of OS X.

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #20 on: 14 April 2003, 22:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum: crusader for peace & freedom:

okay. it is not free. that is not always a bad thing calum. it is when you are bleeding the poeple dry, and not giving them a decent product, but osx is a very good product. i have no problem paying for it. i do however, have a problem paying for windows or linux distros. hey, with osx, i have the freedom to install any open source app, or any proprietary app. you dont have macromedia or adobe software for linux. not that you care anyways. but i do. so, i can run the gimp and photoshop side by side. or open office & ms office, all sorts of browsers. anything i want. plus the core technologies of osX are open and free. aqua is not. and for good reason. apple has been burned in the past with its interface (fucking microsoft) so i can understand a hesitation to release it, even under the gpl.
fuck man. aqua is the cleanest interface i have ever seen. nothing even comes close to it. windows ui sucks. and lets not get started with kde, or gnome, or any of the other window managers for linux.

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #21 on: 15 April 2003, 03:51 »
quote:

okay. it is not free. that is not always a bad thing calum. it is when you are bleeding the poeple dry, and not giving them a decent product, but osx is a very good product. i have no problem paying for it. i do however, have a problem paying for windows or linux distros.
Now I can understand the problem with paying for Winderz, as I know that I will not be getting anywhere near my money's worth. However, what's with this having problems paying for Linux distros, but not OS X?(!)   :eek:  I've done my part, and kicked a few bucks towards Mandrake and Libranet. In these cases, I did get comparable worth in the form of some excellent documentation. Furthermore, since I have dial-up, I don't mind forking over a few bucks for install CDs either.

quote:
hey, with osx, i have the freedom to install any open source app, or any proprietary app.
This brings up yet another problem. How is it that I can get a version of QuickTime for Winderz, or for OS X, and yet there are no Linux versions? Since OS X is BSD-based, how damn difficult can that be?(!)   :eek:   It seems to me that Apple has declaired war on Linux and by extension, Open Source. This is not acceptable since they're benefitting from Open Source, and yet not willing to give anything back. This has always been the central flaw of the BSD License. AFAIC: fuck 'em!

quote:
aqua is the cleanest interface i have ever seen. nothing even comes close to it. windows ui sucks. and lets not get started with kde, or gnome, or any of the other window managers for linux.
Go to Panos' post and click on that link: "Sends other UNIX boxes to /dev/null". Take a good look at that PowerBook G4 shown in the ad. Now tell me that doesn't look like KDE. In fact, it reminds me of KDE 2.2!     The new versions of KDE and GNOME are better looking.

And let's not forget what a control-freak Steve Jobs is. Whatever you say about Bill Gates, at least he was satisfied with controlling just the soft. Jobs wanted it all: control the hard as well as the soft. Indeed, when the first MacIntoshes came out, you couldn't even open the damn case (without destroying it in the process) unless you had a special tool available only from Apple.

Sometimes the enemy of my enemy is not my friend.

Their fundamental design flaws are completely concealed by their superficial design flaws.
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #22 on: 15 April 2003, 04:05 »
quote:
Now I can understand the problem with paying for Winderz, as I know that I will not be getting anywhere near my money's worth. However, what's with this having problems paying for Linux distros, but not OS X?(!) I've done my part, and kicked a few bucks towards Mandrake and Libranet. In these cases, I did get comparable worth in the form of some excellent documentation. Furthermore, since I have dial-up, I don't mind forking over a few bucks for install CDs either.

i have paid for suse & redhat. what i got was good. but it was not nearly as elegant and easy as osX. i have listened to everyone on this forum say how easy linux is, and it is to an extent. but you cannot touch osX when it comes to ease of use.

quote:
This brings up yet another problem. How is it that I can get a version of QuickTime for Winderz, or for OS X, and yet there are no Linux versions? Since OS X is BSD-based, how damn difficult can that be?(!) It seems to me that Apple has declaired war on Linux and by extension, Open Source. This is not acceptable since they're benefitting from Open Source, and yet not willing to give anything back. This has always been the central flaw of the BSD License. AFAIC: fuck 'em!

give them time. you cant expect them to do everything over night. i am sure they will port quicktime to linux.

quote:

Go to Panos' post and click on that link: "Sends other UNIX boxes to /dev/null". Take a good look at that PowerBook G4 shown in the ad. Now tell me that doesn't look like KDE. In fact, it reminds me of KDE 2.2! The new versions of KDE and GNOME are better looking.

And let's not forget what a control-freak Steve Jobs is. Whatever you say about Bill Gates, at least he was satisfied with controlling just the soft. Jobs wanted it all: control the hard as well as the soft. Indeed, when the first MacIntoshes came out, you couldn't even open the damn case (without destroying it in the process) unless you had a special tool available only from Apple.

Sometimes the enemy of my enemy is not my friend.

i am looking at the picture right now. i do not see how it looks like kde. i have used the new versions of kde & gnome, and they do not compare to aqua. have you used jaguar yet?
i guess you are right about the enemy thing. is the enemy of my enemy my friend? i guess not. oh well. as for opening the cases, i have not had to open the case of my g4 for anything other than showing my friends how clean it is inside. the response is always the same wide eyed WOW!, and then the disbelief sets in.
this is a losing argument. linux elitists, and mac zealots just do not mix. the more i use linux, the more i like it. but there is no way i would ever pick linux over jaguar.

[ April 14, 2003: Message edited by: ecsyle ]

Pantso

« Reply #23 on: 15 April 2003, 04:10 »
What? Aqua reminds you of KDE 2.2?   :eek:   Man, I've been using KDE since version 1.0 and I cannot see where you found even the slightest resemblance between KDE and Aqua!   :eek:  

And what about this Apple has declared war with the Linux and the Open source community? I'm using Linux as well as OS X? What does that make me? A friend or a foe?   :eek:    :D    :eek:    :confused:

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #24 on: 15 April 2003, 12:42 »
quote:
What? Aqua reminds you of KDE 2.2?  Man, I've been using KDE since version 1.0 and I cannot see where you found even the slightest resemblance between KDE and Aqua!
It was your picture. And what I'm seeing in that picture definitely reminds me of KDE 2.2. In particular, the implementation of KDE that comes with ELX PreGold. As for the rest of Aqua, well, I don't know about that as I don't have it. However, I see a great resemblance between that one pic, and I'm sure they meant it to best reflect on that PowerBook G4 they were selling. Did I mention that I was talking about that one pic?        

quote:
And what about this Apple has declared war with the Linux and the Open source community?
Again, this comes from that ad which you linked to: "Sends other UNIX Boxes to /dev/null". To be sure, that could mean just about anything: HP-UX or Solaris. I would have let the whole subject go, as I have no interest whatsoever to get involved in the Mac v. PC Jihad.
quote:
This new OS has accomplished in a short period of time what others have struggled to do for years: bring a compelling, widely accepted GUI (called Aqua) to UNIX.
-- Tim O'Reilly, O'Reilly Network
Despite the implied attack on XFree86, KDE, and GNOME, I'd've even been willing to let even that pass. Nor do I really give a damn one way or another about these proprietary *NIXs. OS X can eat 'em for breakfast, for all I care. However this just pisses me off to a fair-thee-well:

quote:
After two-and-a-half years of Linux, I've finally found a joy in a UNIX operating system. And I found it when I purchased a Macintosh -- the first one I've ever owned.
--John Hummel Jr., The Gamer's Press
(Emphasis Mine)
That was a deliberate attack on Linux. I don't tolerate Windoid fucktards spreading such anti-Linux FUD, and I won't tolerate it from Apple-using fucktards either.     :mad:    (And if Hummel can't figure out Linux after 2.5 years, then he really is a hopeless fucktard.    ;)     )  In fact, that's even worse. At least His Gatesness has the honesty to openly proclaim what he thinks of Open Source. At the very least, he doesn't take from the Open Source community then stab it in the back, which is exactly what this advertisement does.      :mad:          :mad:          :mad:    

Their fundamental design flaws are completely concealed by their superficial design flaws.

[ April 15, 2003: Message edited by: jtpenrod ]

Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #25 on: 15 April 2003, 13:03 »
quote:
Now I can understand the problem with paying for Winderz, as I know that I will not be getting anywhere near my money's worth. However, what's with this having problems paying for Linux distros, but not OS X?(!) I've done my part, and kicked a few bucks towards Mandrake and Libranet. In these cases, I did get comparable worth in the form of some excellent documentation. Furthermore, since I have dial-up, I don't mind forking over a few bucks for install CDs either.

the real issue is that people who paid a lot of money for mac software don't want to have to admit that linux software can be at least as good. i get really irritated at this attitude of looking down your nose at software purely because it didn't cost a lot of money or doesn't have a slick reputation.

this is a shame because essentially it's the reason windows users sneer at linux too, they just can't admit that they paid $100s and now people are getting better software for free.

also, i give a shit if decent apps are available for linux, but my response if i want to use, say, quicktime, is not to just use a system that quicktime is available for, the solution is to either write an email to apple saying "get with it, people using linux want quicktime" (which i did) or if apple turn out to be slowass fucktards who don't think linux people will buy or use quicktime, just use mplayer instead (for example, i know you said macromedia and adobe stuff, but the same principle applies).

the difference is making a lot of noise or actually doing something.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #26 on: 15 April 2003, 13:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by jtpenrod:
That was a deliberate attack on Linux. I don't tolerate Windoid fucktards spreading such anti-Linux FUD, and I won't tolerate it from Apple-using fucktards either.      :mad:     (And if Hummel can't figure out Linux after 2.5 years, then he really is a hopeless fucktard.     ;)      )  In fact, that's even worse. At least His Gatesness has the honesty to openly proclaim what he thinks of Open Source. At the very least, he doesn't take from the Open Source community then stab it in the back, which is exactly what this advertisement does.       :mad:            :mad:            :mad:      

and you know what? this is true regardless of what you snooty mac users say.

i hope apple rots in hell if they are prepared to stab Free software in the back like this, they abuse a position of trust. there are certain responsibilities that come with developing open source software, and apple playing the two faced bastard is worse than microsoft in a way. at least everybody knows microsoft are a bunch of bastards, but apple seem to still have everybody fooled.

and on the one hand i do like apple computer, but on the other hand i hope they go to hell and take their users with them. i think these mixed feelings i have at apple reflect their internal "right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing" ethos.

[ April 15, 2003: Message edited by: Calum: crusader for peace & freedom ]

Faust

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #27 on: 15 April 2003, 15:01 »
I was actually thinking about getting a Mac laptop in a few months time.  I want a laptop and i also wanted to see properly Mac OS X instead of seeing it on public compueters where I can't play with it.

After seeing that ad : fuck that!
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #28 on: 15 April 2003, 15:12 »
myself i would probably still get a second hand macintosh if it were reasonably priced, and i would put OSX on it (except now i think they charge for the software don't they? it used to be just the hardware...) but mainly i would be putting mandrake and YDL on there.

and apple are quite transparent about this, if they criticise linux, nobody will sue them, since linux isn't a company. also, microsoft has made anti linux statements and maybe they want to keep microsoft happy. if they specifically say "i've been using a sun workstation for a while and now i use a mac because i am too thick to get used to sun's interface" then they risk a lawsuit from sun, but say the same thing about linux, and who cares? only some nobodies on a bulletin board, plus, the apple army will quickly post "apple are great" comments on said bulletin boards to balance it out as we can see. this is one reason why a company making non-Free software is intrinsically a bad thing, even if their intentions are good.

what a bunch of compromisers. i think i might actually have less respect for Jobs now he has turned into a wuss. he was an arse before, yes, but that's more honest in a way than being a wuss.

Pantso

« Reply #29 on: 15 April 2003, 16:41 »
Erm, this ad was also posted in the Linuxformat magazine by the way.   ;)  

EDIT: Perhaps us OS X users should burn to hell for using a *nix based OS, ha? What the fuck is wrong with you people? Should this page be renamed "The Apple Eradication Society" or what? Have we commited a crime when we purchased our Macs that we don't know about? How about you guys kick us all Mac users out of these forums and keep it for yourselves?   :mad:

[ April 15, 2003: Message edited by: Panos ]