Author Topic: Open Source Windows2Linux Conversion  (Read 925 times)

godsdog

• Kudos: 0
Open Source Windows2Linux Conversion
« on: 15 July 2002, 00:32 »
Has anyone ever put in one place all the information a windows user (like myself) needed to switch over to Linux?

I've been running XP for a while now, and never had any problems with it.  A while back I downloaded and burned Knoppix v2.2 beta and booted that bad boy from CD.  Un-real!  Everything worked without even installing Jack-$hit!  Solid, fast...  I didn't waste anytime configuring anything (even office software).  I'm almost bought and sold...Almost.  My only concerns about opening my mind/OS are that I have over 60 gigs of mp3s (mp3pro encoded) on an 80 gig NTFS (compressed) volume.  It would be great to have a virtual way of running windows on Linux also (just in-case I need to run software I'm familiar with)

Well?

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2002, 00:40 »
http://freshmeat.net/projects/win4lin/?topic_id=74%2C129 (win4lin) lets you use windows within linux.

To use any files you had on your windows partion you'll just need to mount it, and linux will let you do anything you want (including use) the files on the windows partion.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #2 on: 15 July 2002, 02:32 »
yeah but it's ntfs and it's a compressed drive. it would be simpler if it was a fat drive and was uncompressed...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2002, 03:02 »
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

TheQuirk

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2002, 03:26 »
I remember mounting my friend's hard drive that was running WinXP. Maybe he was using FAT for some reason =\

1mck

« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2002, 05:33 »
God's Dog (and to everyone else;),

I am presently downloading Knoppix [KNOPPIX_V3.1-22-08-2002-EN.iso], and there is a bunch of other stuff that is there. I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box...I'm actually a pretty fart smeller, anyways, there is these 2 other files there besides the documentation, and the other stuff that is German (I won't download that): [KNOPPIX_V3.1-22-08-2002-EN.iso.md5] [KNOPPIX_V3.1-22-08-2002-EN.iso.md5.asc]....Okay, now what do I do as I have never made an actual ISO before? Note* I use Nero Burning V5.0 for my burner*. What files do I include, or not include? Help! I am very excited to actually use Linux for the first time, and not have to partition my hard drive, or do anything for that matter. I am anticipating that I may have a problem getting my computer to boot from the cd, so even more help with that please. I should tell you the piece of shit that I have...I'm sorry that I'm about to swear here;) I have a Compaq Presario 5360 with a AMD K6 450mhz Processor, with 256 megs of ram, a 10 gig hard drive, a Creative cd Burner, and a Voodoo 3000 Video Card/3-d accelerator thingy jiggy. If what you say, and what I've read is true about being able to run the OS right from the CD, then this is exactly what I want for my computer without having to partition my hard drive, and go through all the rigamorow that goes with installing Linux until I dump this crappy computer, and actually have one made to my specifications. I can't wait to start migrating away from Windoze!!!!!
Thanks in advance for any help with this, and I really appreciate you discovering this for me:)

1mck

These are very exciting words...In a Non-sexual way of course, but very exciting notheless!lol

"A while back I downloaded and burned Knoppix v2.2 beta and booted that bad boy from CD. Un-real! Everything worked without even installing Jack-$hit! Solid, fast... I didn't waste anytime configuring anything (even office software). I'm almost bought and sold...Almost.
Well?"

TheQuirk

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2002, 06:23 »
Don't worry about those to files. They're just the same ISO image compressed.

When you finish downloading these instructions:
http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html

and you're done.

As for the bot-from-CD thing, all you need to do is get into your BIOS (F1 or Del or somethng similar at the boot screen) and tell it to boot from the CD-Rom before the Harddrive.

1mck

« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2002, 06:32 »
Just so I'm absolutely crystal here, you are saying that those files [KNOPPIX_V3.1-22-08-2002-EN.iso.md5] [KNOPPIX_V3.1-22-08-2002-EN.iso.md5.asc] are not to be included, and just burn this file [KNOPPIX_V3.1-22-08-2002-EN.iso] onto my CD?
This is going to be great! Thank you so much for the tutorial, and for the response!

1mck
Soon to be Windoze free:)))))))))))