Author Topic: How really easy is to use Linux?  (Read 674 times)

The Lost

• Kudos: 0
    • http://none
How really easy is to use Linux?
« on: 18 March 2003, 18:01 »
Greetings people!!

A friend of mine bought recently Red Hat Linux 8.0, and installed it in his PC's HD.
The OS recognized all of his cards, peripherals, etc. except that his sound card didn't emitted any sound even when the OS said somethin' like, "Yes, I know it's a sound card, I installed drivers, it's supposed to work", you know what I mean... After my friend's seeking for updated drivers got him tired (he works with music) he de-
cided to reinstall Win XP in his computer very frustrated. I have read in a lot of sites that Linux drivers are compiled by users and if someone hasn't written a driver for your device (or the company doesn't do one optimized for Linux) you are screwed. ...And what about installing applications? I'm a Mac user and I love the way Mac OS X works, and I was happy to know that Apple released a X11 version for Mac and so on but after downloading FilmGimp, OpenOffice and other programs and reading in their docs that I had to go to the Terminal and write something that I don't understand or a long list of commands and so on and that to install interfaces (I dunno how they are called, I'm new in this) like KDE, Gnome, etc. I have to know about commands and installing individual packages, and so on Linux had started to scare me a bit... and the X11 world of the Mac OS too... It's hard to learn to use Unix? I'm interested in find a way to stop using all of MS products sometime, but at least in Windows I don't have to be a Command Prompt geek to install stuff... Neither in Mac OS X/9. But I want to learn and hope I can have the "tutorials" on how to learn here...

Thanks for reading!!!
...are you still reading?!!!

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2003, 18:59 »
First of all, welcome to the boards! Now, to your questions: It's true that the Unix/Linux commands are numerous, since Unix has been around in many forms for about 30 years. Thus it is normal to be frustrated by the number of commands out there, some of which are very cryptic as well.

You don't need to learn to use all of them though. Only a few will do for doing basic stuff and can prove more convenient than GUI frontends and tools.

As for the hardware drivers you mention, the current situation is not the fault of the Linux community but rather the fault of hardware vedors.

This situation has started changing however, to the better. More and more vendors have started recognizing that Linux on the desktop could prove to be more than just an over-optimistic view or a mere utopia. Hence, they've started providing drivers for Linux as well.

To avoid such problems though, tell your friend to use somewhat more expensive hardware than cheaper windows compatible devices!

As for you my friend, stick with OS X. I'm using OS X as well and can swear by its user-friendliness and ease of management! You really don't need to know any Unix commands to administer OS X but if you want to learn some, i suggest you do a Google search.

Once again, welcome to the boards.  

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2003, 20:54 »
well if your friend had of posted the question on how to help get the sound working when he/she still had linux we probably could have got it working.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2003, 21:39 »
a lot of stuff on the internet about linux is incredibly confusing. this is because the writers of that stuff are geeks. they think you want to know all about the system and the software et c. hey, i do! but if you don't, it's simply a matter of finding instructions on the internet that are simple and easy looking. if you can't find any, ask at forums such as this one, or the ones at voidmain.kicks-ass.net/forums or the ones at newtolinux.org.uk/forum where you are almost guaranteed a nice simple reply that will most likely work.

linux is not normally complicated all by itself, but a lot of the instructions for things in linux are very complicated indeed, even when whatever is being talked about is actually very simple.

by the way, thelost, what kind of soundcard was it? i bet you that if you tell us here, somebody will answer the question of how to get it working.

[ March 18, 2003: Message edited by: Calum: Member # 81 ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

The Lost

• http://none
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2003, 04:04 »
Thanks for the info...

I think the reason people's fear about Linux (like myself) is because of the guides made with geeks' 'language' like a user mentioned. But today I learned that I can get some help from people here, and that's cool!!

I now feel confident to order Yellow Dog (BTW, it's easy to install Linux on a Mac, right?).

As for my friend's sound card all I know about it is that is integrated to the motherboard, I have to ask him about its brand and model...

When I have that info, I'll seek and ask with more detail...

Again, thanks for the warm receivement and hope I can contribute to get some people out of the Windows world (or convince them to buy a Mac    :D ).
...are you still reading?!!!

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2003, 21:08 »
good, linux is easy to install on a mac, just make sure you read up on it, becuase unix give you enough rope to hang your self with/*OSX included*/, and a few hundred extra feet just to be sure.........   just don't slip up on partitioning and everything will be fine. if you keep both os's on their, you can run osx under linux and also os9 under linux.

as for the soundcard, tell him to get a decent sound card to start with, he will appreacheat it under *any* environment, unless he has an NForce or KT400, his onboard sound is a very very horrible thing. hell, my old mx400 monster sound works great. an audigy 1 is supposed to rock and the best driver support goes out to the creative SBLive 5.1 from what i have heard but i don't have one.
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #6 on: 19 March 2003, 21:19 »
as for those commands, yes they are scary at first, but once you master them, they serve you well. and even under OSX can speed some things up like moving mass amounts of files and searching raw text and stuff. and X11 is client/server based, so it is scary at first, but once you master that, it become a indespensible tool. just read a few books on unix, and learn to have fun tinkering with shit, go get a cheap x86 system and install each of the *bsd's for a month at a time learning how each on works, do the same with debian, slackware, and redhat. preferably starting with the linux's first to get the basic and intermediate unix skills up to speed. after that you will know alot of unix stuff, and have a way better understanding of how things work, learning is pretty fun. or atleast it should be. never be afriad to tinker with something unless you have a damned good reason not to/*eg, 50gig partition almost filled with media is a pretty compelling reason for me to be careful*/ and backup important things, so when you poke the system into the twilight zone, your work and effort doesn't follow it. as i said, always try to learn more about computers and other stuff, and you will be happy
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

devlkore

• http://www.sparktasty.tk/
« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2003, 16:02 »
I want a free Linux that can be installed without partioning and is newbie friendly. Yes, I know I want a lot, but I can''t really get into Linux without that.
sono sain wa nihongo desu

devlkore

• http://www.sparktasty.tk/
« Reply #8 on: 19 March 2003, 16:10 »
For those of you in my position, I just found this http://topologi-linux.sourceforge.net/

It even works on NTFS, which was what I was after.
sono sain wa nihongo desu

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #9 on: 19 March 2003, 18:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by devlkore:
I want a free Linux that can be installed without partioning and is newbie friendly. Yes, I know I want a lot, but I can''t really get into Linux without that.

Try Knoppix.

As for you, thelost, it is really easy to install YDL on a Mac but it is nonetheless really disappointing when compared to OS X. Stick with Linux on x86 but don't install it on a Mac. You'll be repartitioning soon if you do so.   :D

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #10 on: 19 March 2003, 20:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Lost:
Thanks for the info...

I think the reason people's fear about Linux (like myself) is because of the guides made with geeks' 'language' like a user mentioned. But today I learned that I can get some help from people here, and that's cool!!

I now feel confident to order Yellow Dog (BTW, it's easy to install Linux on a Mac, right?).

As for my friend's sound card all I know about it is that is integrated to the motherboard, I have to ask him about its brand and model...

When I have that info, I'll seek and ask with more detail...

Again, thanks for the warm receivement and hope I can contribute to get some people out of the Windows world (or convince them to buy a Mac     :D  ).

excellant, hope to see you around here. Integrated?....it doesnt happen to be an SiS7012 does it???
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #11 on: 20 March 2003, 14:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by devlkore:

you will be disappointed if you choose to install linux on an UMSDOS filesystem or similar. part of the reason linux is so stable is that its native filesystems are much better than the pap microsoft fobs you off with. just be sure when linux fails you on your NTFS filesystem, that you do not blame it on linux, when it was your fault for not partitioning your drive and putting a decent filesystem on there to start with.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism