Author Topic: Red Hat?  (Read 1401 times)

3eyes

• Kudos: 0
Red Hat?
« Reply #15 on: 5 August 2003, 12:34 »
It definiyely sounds like you got some bad iso images.

Beware those in books, they're often outdated. Just search for "Linux 9" on ebay; that's where I got mine for about $12 and they work perfectly.
"Microsoft is a marketing company, not a software company" - Bill Gates

"I don't really support piracy but I am dead serious about consumer rights" - bwid_s_01

Unforgiven1

Red Hat?
« Reply #16 on: 6 August 2003, 00:27 »
I redownloaded it from a different (faster!) mirror..so hopefully this ISO works fine.  GOOD LUCK TO ME! lol.
Microsoft is not the answer.
Microsoft is the question.
"No" is the answer!
The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.

Faust

Red Hat?
« Reply #17 on: 6 August 2003, 00:47 »
Make sure the isos are the right size btw, just to make sure.  Also have you tried burning them sslloowwllyy and finalizing?  I have a friend who burns everything at the highest speed possible and never finalizes his CD's, unsurprisingly they can often have errors.  :rolleyes:
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Unforgiven1

Red Hat?
« Reply #18 on: 6 August 2003, 23:54 »
well I gave up on the CD idea and decided to try a hard drive install off a boot diskette.  It comes to the select language screen (the farthest into installation I've yet to come) and i can't choose the language.  I pressed every key on the keyboard trying...and still nada.  someone help!
"No" is the answer!
The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.

Mirrorball

Red Hat?
« Reply #19 on: 8 August 2003, 05:24 »
There must be some kind of hardware imcompatibility. Do you have a PCMCIA wireless card? I couldn't install Linux for a long time before I finally understood how to setup my wireless card. Try some other distributions for newbies (Mandrake, Lycoris). Download Knoppix, a distribution that runs directly from a CD-ROM. Gentoo, if you are a power user (my favorite distribution now), the Gentoo forums are excellent for support. Don't get stuck in Red Hat.

Unforgiven1

Red Hat?
« Reply #20 on: 8 August 2003, 07:44 »
I did try other ones.  I ended up buying it, and it installed fine, so something corrupted the ISO's when I downloaded it I think.  So far so good.  I wouldn't think of switching back to winders.
thanks for all your help people.  This is one of the most generally helpful and friendly computer help boards I've ever been too.  Usually the users are all "! 4m 73 31337 h4xx0rz  f43r m3"  and won't help.  Thanks again.
"No" is the answer!

kibawarior

• Kudos: 109
Red Hat?
« Reply #21 on: 8 August 2003, 21:39 »
for you my freind don't use red hat I tried it first as a os it was really hard to get up and running most of my stuff did not work i recomend mandrake linux because its really easy to use set up and it does not take a long time to get use to suse would be great as it has wine itagrated in to it so you can use windows aplications.  :cool:    
linux is wayyyyy cool
windows plain sucks

Mirrorball

Red Hat?
« Reply #22 on: 8 August 2003, 21:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by Unforgiven1:
I did try other ones.  I ended up buying it, and it installed fine, so something corrupted the ISO's when I downloaded it I think.

Oh, you should always check the ISO files before burning them by comparing MD5 sums.

BouncingAyatollah

• http://www.bouncingayatollah.co.uk
Red Hat?
« Reply #23 on: 10 August 2003, 04:29 »
If you burn your CDs on Winbloat you can get md5sum for that too, do a Google for "md5sum Windows". Put it in your Windows/system or Windows/system32 directory (depending on your version of Bloat). When you get an ISO get the associated .md5 file too.

Open a DOS box, CD to the place where the files are and

md5sum -c biglong-name-timestamp-distro-ver.md5

(well, if you got the SAME md5sum as me :) )
The cheese would have to be subatomic size before quantum cheese effects would take over -- and then it wouldn't be identifiable as cheese any longer.

slvadcjelli42

Red Hat?
« Reply #24 on: 12 August 2003, 06:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by kibawarior:
for you my freind don't use red hat I tried it first as a os it was really hard to get up and running most of my stuff did not work

I mostly like red hat, and I don't find it all that tough setting up except that it doesn't seem to support my hardware very well (that's why i'm trying suse next, their "live-eval" worked very well with my stuff). Is that what you mean by most of your stuff not working?