Author Topic: Mandrake 9 ISO  (Read 770 times)

heroinjunkierockstar

• Kudos: 0
Mandrake 9 ISO
« on: 28 October 2002, 21:46 »
Hi, im new to Linux and im done with the set of 3 ISO downloads for Mandrake 9. Im wondering if i cant get by, by only burning the first one for installation. What exactly are the other 2 for? Ill be doing this on a second partition on C:, the first containing 98se. I know this might be common knowledge, ive been reading through these boards for almost 8 hours now and it has changed my whole perspective on microsoft windows and IE. This is the last step in my crossover and i need a few more answers. There was a thread for the majority of this topic and it has helped me alot. I am now confident to ask a question on this forum. Thanks in advance.

http://forum.fuckmicrosoft.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000057
Signature :
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBBCode Images are permitted.

RudeCat7

• Kudos: 109
Mandrake 9 ISO
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2002, 21:58 »
You should at least burn the first two.

The reason that you get "so many" cds is that, you get tons of programs for free. Which cds you need, depends on which install you choose, you don't have to install everything.

[ October 28, 2002: Message edited by: RudeCat8.0 ]

*meow!* I didn't say Linux was easier, I said it was better, Dumbass!

Doctor V

• Kudos: 0
Mandrake 9 ISO
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2002, 21:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by heroinjunkierockstar:
Hi, im new to Linux and im done with the set of 3 ISO downloads for Mandrake 9. Im wondering if i cant get by, by only burning the first one for installation. What exactly are the other 2 for? Ill be doing this on a second partition on C:, the first containing 98se. I know this might be common knowledge, ive been reading through these boards for almost 8 hours now and it has changed my whole perspective on microsoft windows and IE. This is the last step in my crossover and i need a few more answers. There was a thread for the majority of this topic and it has helped me alot. I am now confident to ask a question on this forum. Thanks in advance.

http://forum.fuckmicrosoft.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000057

You better burn all 3.  If memory serves me correctly, you'll need all 3 for installation.

V 0.8.7

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Mandrake 9 ISO
« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2002, 12:30 »
you only need number one for installation however you will be sorely cheating yourself if you do not use all three.

two tips for installing mandrake:
1) install in 'expert' mode. do not install in 'recommended' mode, regardless of how inexpert you think you are.
2) choose 'individual package selection' and read the descriptions of all the programs since many of the good ones aren't installed by default.
If i were you i'd install the development tools too, even if you will never do any developing as some of the developer libraries are needed to install some programs at a later date.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism