Author Topic: I Feel unclean because of MSBLAST.EXE  (Read 1068 times)

bigsleep

• Kudos: 0
I Feel unclean because of MSBLAST.EXE
« Reply #15 on: 21 August 2003, 12:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnD1:
Is this friend a retard or something? Windows updates are on BY DEFAULT. If he doesn't have the updates it means he CHOSE to go unsecure. Turning off automatic updates is like running Linux with no firewall and as root all the time... it's just silly and puts you at risk for no reason. On a side note, why doesn't this friend have a firewall? There are lots of good FREE firewalls for windows.

Wow! I must be a retard - a retard that doesn't get viruses.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #16 on: 21 August 2003, 15:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnD1:
Is this friend a retard or something? Windows updates are on BY DEFAULT. If he doesn't have the updates it means he CHOSE to go unsecure. Turning off automatic updates is like running Linux with no firewall and as root all the time... it's just silly and puts you at risk for no reason. On a side note, why doesn't this friend have a firewall? There are lots of good FREE firewalls for windows.

=========TRANSLATION===========
wow! am i a retard or something? i think windows updates are the best thing since sliced pie! they're on by default which means i can use my braincell for thinking about other things like which foot to use next while walking. Thinking microsoft's end user licence agreements enable them to infringe all sorts of personal freedoms and infringe your statutory rights is just silly! Disagreeing with the fact that microsoft are the best at everything simply puts your credibility at risk for no reason. On a side note, i think that free (closed source) firewalls can be trusted, despite the fact that if you install kerio personal firewall and zonealarm on a windows machine they BOTH report that the OTHER one is secretly phoning home. best to just go with the default XP firewall anyway though, after all you already sold your soul to microsoft in the XP EULA so you might as well suck it while you're down there.
==========END TRANSLATION========
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

dishawjp

• Kudos: 95
    • http://web.lemoyne/~dishawjp
« Reply #17 on: 21 August 2003, 16:55 »
Just curious here.... How did you remove msblast from the DOS command line?  I had a friend bring me his WinXP laptop and ask me to get rid of it.  I found msblast.exe in the c:\windows\system32 directory and also msblast.something_or_the_other.pf in another location.  I was able to delete the .pf file from DOS with no problem, but even after doing an "attrib -h -s -r" on the msblast.exe, I still got a message "access denied".

This guy is such a computer guru that he didn't know how to turn his "system restore" off like you're supposed to do before correcting removing the virus.  I mean, neither do I, but I don't use or want to use Windows and have never used WinXP.

I didn't have a Knoppix CD readily available and he wouldn't let me install Red Hat so I told him that he could take it to someone who knows about Windows and pay to get it fixed.  But it would be interesting to know how you deleted it from the command line.

Great frigging OS... real bright user base... sorry I'm not one of them  

Jim Dishaw

lonodnboi2k3

• Kudos: 0
    • http://none as yet
« Reply #18 on: 21 August 2003, 17:04 »
quote:
Just curious here.... How did you remove msblast from the DOS command line? I had a friend bring me his WinXP laptop and ask me to get rid of it. I found msblast.exe in the c:\windows\system32 directory and also msblast.something_or_the_other.pf in another location. I was able to delete the .pf file from DOS with no problem, but even after doing an "attrib -h -s -r" on the msblast.exe, I still got a message "access denied".
This guy is such a computer guru that he didn't know how to turn his "system restore" off like you're supposed to do before correcting removing the virus. I mean, neither do I, but I don't use or want to use Windows and have never used WinXP.

I didn't have a Knoppix CD readily available and he wouldn't let me install Red Hat so I told him that he could take it to someone who knows about Windows and pay to get it fixed. But it would be interesting to know how you deleted it from the command line.

Great frigging OS... real bright user base... sorry I'm not one of them  

Well the best way i found to remove the msblast.exe from the c:/winnt/system32 directory was to use the comment move msblast.exe c:/

Then i edited the autoexec.bat file to delete it from the C:\ drive on first boot so it did not get to load.....

Altho i guess you could just delete it yourself but i could not be bother with the hassle     :D        :D    

Altho i do nbot understand the "Access Denied" Thing myself as i recived that error message! Is this supposed to be some M$ security to stop you delteing files in this directory?     :confused:        :confused:    

If it is it was FAR too easy to bypass.

Also on a side note, I used the Command line which windows provided when it booted to safe mode... I was suprised to see the if you type half of a directory and press the TAB key it auto compleats for you like in Linux.... Hows that for inovation (ahem, I mean copying)     :rolleyes:        :rolleyes:        :rolleyes:

On another note i dont personally use windows, except at work cus im forced to :-(

EDIT: To correct some of the Many Spelling mistakes    :D  
EDIT: Added a bit more...
[ August 21, 2003: Message edited by: Londonboi2k3 ]

[ August 21, 2003: Message edited by: Londonboi2k3 ]

Viva La Mac

dishawjp

• Kudos: 95
    • http://web.lemoyne/~dishawjp
« Reply #19 on: 21 August 2003, 17:17 »
Thanks, it HAS to be some M$ thing, like not being able to delete index.dat files from Windows unless you boot to DOS.  The last version of Winblows I ran was Win98.  Like most M$ crap, their "protections" can be defeated.  Nice work-around you came up with.  I guess I'm just sick of fixing broken Windows computers for idiots who are too stupid/lazy/whatever to switch to a decent OS.

Jim Dishaw (formerly DOSman)