Author Topic: First try with Debian....oops!  (Read 725 times)

RudeCat7

• Kudos: 109
First try with Debian....oops!
« on: 16 November 2002, 21:50 »
Yup, I tried to install Debian for the first time, thursday night. It did install, but since I was used   Slackware, I thought I just had to do the xf86config thing and then 'startx', but no deal.
It seems to me that I was supposed to select X in the packages, but I didn't. I will try again later.

Has anyone else had much difficulty with Debian? I do want to try it since Knoppix is soooo cool! And that apt-get sounds great!
*meow!* I didn't say Linux was easier, I said it was better, Dumbass!

creedon

• Kudos: 0
First try with Debian....oops!
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2002, 18:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by Black & White Cat:
Yup, I tried to install Debian for the first time, thursday night. It did install, but since I was used   Slackware, I thought I just had to do the xf86config thing and then 'startx', but no deal.
It seems to me that I was supposed to select X in the packages, but I didn't. I will try again later.

Has anyone else had much difficulty with Debian? I do want to try it since Knoppix is soooo cool! And that apt-get sounds great!

Yeah, you have to watch when you do a Debian install, they're VERY anal about giving you choices at install; it's worth it when you're done, but you do have to be careful.  It's somewhat easier to install Libranet, but they've gotten pretty expensive lately ($55.00 US).  Nice O.S. but too much money for me every 4 months.
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??