Author Topic: Mandrake as DHCP server...  (Read 1445 times)

TheGreatPoo

• Kudos: 0
Mandrake as DHCP server...
« Reply #15 on: 16 June 2003, 20:29 »
I know I keep bumping this topic.  I am trying to keep from starting a new thread (aren't I nice?   :D   )

I decided that the wizard just wasn't going to work.  So I am trying to set up the server manually now.  Here is what I have done so far:

I have already downloaded, installed, and configured dhcp-3.0.1rc11 from  http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

I have also gone through all of the instructions found here  up to section 4.4.

When I try to invoke the server on a certain device (in my case eth1), in other words when I use the command "/usr/sbin/dhcpd eth1" in a console, I get this error:

Code: [Select]

I know it has something to do with the /etc/dhcpd.conf file but I have no idea what to do to this file to make it work!  I have also tried creating my own /etc/dhcpd.conf file according to the info on the Howto webpage above but I have never programmed in Linux before so this is all new to me.  I wonder why a new /etc/dhcpd.conf file wasn't created when I installed the server that would work.

What am I overlooking here?  Is there anything else I need to know to set this thing up?  I have also searched the web and cannot find any useful info that can help me in my particular situation.  Common guys, I really, REALLY don't want to use Windows for this, but I will have to if I can't get this working.   :(  

I am sorry for chewing everyone's ears (or is it eyes since you're reading this?) off about this.  I know it seems as though this thread won't die.  I would just rather stick my nuts in a blender than use Windoze as my server.  God, I hope I can find a solution.

Thanks for reading and putting up with this continuing struggle.

[ June 16, 2003: Message edited by: TheGreatPoo: Mac Commando ]

When Bill Gates throws you a curve ball, hit him in his jewels with the bat!