Author Topic: XP on Linux? Freaky O.o  (Read 886 times)

GhostCow

• Kudos: 0
XP on Linux? Freaky O.o
« on: 20 June 2003, 14:27 »
http://www.xpde.com/index.php Wouldn't be bad for newbies like me..... but man that is scary in so many ways it's not funny

[ June 20, 2003: Message edited by: GhostCow ]

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
XP on Linux? Freaky O.o
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2003, 16:31 »
It's great for businesses trying to switch their employee's from Windows to Linux. Read XPDE's FAQ, it's not meant to be funny, it's meant to make the switch easier.

Faust

XP on Linux? Freaky O.o
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2003, 07:37 »
He just said it was scary not funny.  Personally I think training wheels is fine, provided you remove them when you dont need them anymore.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

solo

• Kudos: 1
    • http://www.komodolinux.org/
XP on Linux? Freaky O.o
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2003, 07:30 »
i tried it. its nice, needs a lot of work, a lot of stuff isnt implemented, but its nice. Translucent icon dragging, fading menus look real. But, for instance, I cant drag select icons on the desktop. Very scary though, but it would be grossly entertaining to see them implement Windows exactly. So everything look and acted exactly like Windows (without the crashes). Then we could run around saying "Well us Linux people are great, we've already created a one-for-one Windows-like version of Linux. It looks and works identical. So there. Okay I'm rambling. When such rambling happens, its safe to ignore the last 10-12 lines of what I'm saying.
Komodoware, moving Linux to your desktop.
http://www.komodoware.com/

Maniaman

XP on Linux? Freaky O.o
« Reply #4 on: 1 July 2003, 04:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Faust:
Personally I think training wheels is fine, provided you remove them when you dont need them anymore.

I agree  

This will be extremely helpfulin converting people. I wouldn't be suprised if some distros started including it on their install CD's  
I use my hotmail email on here to keep from begin spammed by trolls. If you want my good email address for something then ask... :)

XiLeXl

XP on Linux? Freaky O.o
« Reply #5 on: 1 July 2003, 04:40 »
Looks nice, but it probably won't last too long without Gates interfering. Once Microslut sees that, there'll probably be some legal action taken for some reason... XPDE will probably win though  :D

Faust, you're right. That'd make great training wheels, but one question: If there's so many Winblowz features, how are they to learn about Linux?

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
XP on Linux? Freaky O.o
« Reply #6 on: 1 July 2003, 10:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by usr/bin/maniaman:

I agree    

This will be extremely helpfulin converting people. I wouldn't be suprised if some distros started including it on their install CD's    

I will.

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
XP on Linux? Freaky O.o
« Reply #7 on: 1 July 2003, 10:52 »
I'm not really comfortable with this

It wont attrack windows users and it will sour linux
nuts

just use kde 3* and put that XP "bliss" background on "one" of your desktops and there you have it.

Im truly tierd of people trying to emulate windows
or trying to "dumb down" linux, it dosen't need it.

linux is the sane os in an insane world

Stryker

• VIP
XP on Linux? Freaky O.o
« Reply #8 on: 1 July 2003, 11:36 »
I'll include it, there are really stupid people out there that get confused if it doesn't look familiar.

For instance...

My mom has never used a computer (not really at least) up until a few days ago. I sat her down and showed her some linux games. Ever since she has been addicted to it. She comes and asks me to turn the computer on... but other than that she does ok. I sat her down in front of windows to show her a thing I was making in 3D studios. I left, she got on... she freaked out.

"What is this, why is it so hard? How come I can't find any games?... What?! what the hell is windows..."

It just made my day.

If someone wanted to switch her to windows (don't ask why, please), they'd probably try (if they were smart) to make it familiar for her to get used to. Reorganize the start menu perhaps, put gaim on there instead of messenger/aim, just small things. Eventually she'd get off of them.

Shouldn't the same apply for switching someone to linux?

solo

• Kudos: 1
    • http://www.komodolinux.org/
XP on Linux? Freaky O.o
« Reply #9 on: 1 July 2003, 12:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by Stryker:
I'll include it, there are really stupid people out there that get confused if it doesn't look familiar.

For instance...

My mom has never used a computer (not really at least) up until a few days ago. I sat her down and showed her some linux games. Ever since she has been addicted to it. She comes and asks me to turn the computer on... but other than that she does ok. I sat her down in front of windows to show her a thing I was making in 3D studios. I left, she got on... she freaked out.

"What is this, why is it so hard? How come I can't find any games?... What?! what the hell is windows..."

It just made my day.

If someone wanted to switch her to windows (don't ask why, please), they'd probably try (if they were smart) to make it familiar for her to get used to. Reorganize the start menu perhaps, put gaim on there instead of messenger/aim, just small things. Eventually she'd get off of them.

Shouldn't the same apply for switching someone to linux?

THAT makes my day! That tells you that Linux is not "harder to use" like all these dolts running around with no facts, it's just different from Windows and a lot of people can't handle that. Linux would probably have a quite good success rate if we could get just one major ISP...
Komodoware, moving Linux to your desktop.
http://www.komodoware.com/

Stryker

• VIP
XP on Linux? Freaky O.o
« Reply #10 on: 1 July 2003, 14:47 »
ISP?

I'm sorry but where does that fit in?

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
XP on Linux? Freaky O.o
« Reply #11 on: 1 July 2003, 21:24 »
He's talking about AOL. You actually CAN get AOL on Linux. Read this.

Stryker

• VIP
XP on Linux? Freaky O.o
« Reply #12 on: 1 July 2003, 22:56 »
No decent ISP will force you to install their dialer. Why can't AOL just let you do a strait ppp connection? People wouldn't hate it quite so much. Every ISP except AOL, Juno, and Netzero (that I know of) works just fine in linux. They just don't advertise about it.