Operating Systems > macOS

iBook logic board failures

<< < (2/3) > >>

hm_murdock:
"logic board" dates back to the days when Macs had two boards... the "logic board" which contained all the solid-state ICs and microprocessors... and the "analog board" which was the power inverters, transformers, giant capacitors, et cetera, that provide power to the computer

billy_gates:

quote:Originally posted by flap:

Of course they do. How can they execute commands if they "don't have logic"? They have microprocessors on them thus they have logic circuits. And if you're trying to say that motherboards have only processors, but no software, built into them, then that isn't true either.
--- End quote ---

they don't have logic.  they cannot make decisions for themselves.  They can only execute commands based on other commands.  They can only compare and contrast different options if programmed to.  They can not "think" therefore they have no logic.

flap:
I don't think you understand what "logic" means in the context of computers. All computers 'have logic'  in the algebraic (not the philosophical) sense - that's their raison d'etre. All a computer is is a logic machine.

billy_gates:

quote:Originally posted by flap:
I don't think you understand what "logic" means in the context of computers. All computers 'have logic'  in the algebraic (not the philosophical) sense - that's their raison d'etre. All a computer is is a logic machine.
--- End quote ---

i guess we just have two different definitions of logic then.  As you said.  I mean it in a more philisophical sense.  For instance, a computer could never think of the idea of freedom unless it was programmed to, so unless some idiot programs into computers to want freedom, at our current technology state, computer will never want freedom... or want anything for that matter.

Fett101:
log

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version