Author Topic: Networking & Mac  (Read 2359 times)

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Networking & Mac
« on: 13 August 2002, 04:42 »
I am new to mac os and want to setup a small network with two windows machines. I am running mac os10.1 and windows XP/2000. First of all, where do i begin. I have a switch and enough cable, a dsl modem and router. i dont have a lot of experience with networking, so any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated..Thanks.

ecsyle_one

xyle_one

• VIP
Networking & Mac
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2002, 10:24 »
umm, nevermind. I figured it out. Not hard at all. All i wanted to do in the first place was move a shit load of files to my mac, like 30gigs, without burning alot of cds.. Anyways, thanks.

ecsyle_one

the_black_angel

• Kudos: 0
Networking & Mac
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2002, 18:35 »
How new are you to mac os im very curious, and also what other experience do you have with computers?
--
The Black Angel

xyle_one

• VIP
Networking & Mac
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2002, 21:39 »
i have used a mac for like 2 months. So far i absolutely love it. Its easy to use. looks great, and does almost everything i need it for. I use adobe and macromedia software, which i can easily switch over to mac, but i am also using 3d studio max, and autodesk viz4. I dont mind learning a new modeler/renderer, but i am very comfortable with these packages. i will probably keep my windows machine just for these programs. i have used computers for only like 2 years. Seriousely, 2 years ago i couldnt turn one on. But, today, i feel i have a decent grasp on computers, enough to keep me going and learning.

ecsyle_one

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Networking & Mac
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2002, 22:05 »
Welcome to the folf  :D

Mac's rock!

But ya, for 3D PC's are great machines. Especialy runing linux with Maya *drool*
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

ravuya

• VIP
Networking & Mac
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2002, 22:06 »
Here's how I did it:

Plug the modem into the uplink port on the router.
Plug all the computers into the router.
Set the router to do DHCP.
Set all the computers to DHCP.
Set up an FTP server on the Mac (System Preferences -> Sharing -> [ ] Enable FTP server)
Connect to the Mac using an FTP client on the Windufus machines.

psyjax

• VIP
Networking & Mac
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2002, 22:08 »
Welcome to the folf  :D

Mac's rock!

But ya, for 3D PC's are great machines. Especialy runing linux with Maya *drool*

xyle_one

• VIP
Networking & Mac
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2002, 22:19 »
Linux? Maya? Wow. i didnt know. i am going to look into that. That would kick ass. To transfer my files i used a crossover cable, hooked the two machines together and turned on sharing on the mac(file sharing, web sharing, enable FTP), then accessed it from my winblows machine. Is there a way to mount a windows volume to my mac desktop???

Thanks. ecsyle_one

psyjax

• VIP
Networking & Mac
« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2002, 22:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by xyle_one:
Is there a way to mount a windows volume to my mac desktop???

Thanks. ecsyle_one

I have never tried doing this, I know it's possible. OSX 10.2 is said to have ,pre crossplatform network capability than the curenct version.

Try searching the information section at Apple.com. They document nearly everything you can do with the system. If you can't find there, surely there is a UNIX way of doing it by accessing the Terminal. Anyone out there know?

the_black_angel

Networking & Mac
« Reply #9 on: 14 August 2002, 17:59 »
Linux Maya?, what about mac and Maya, it was one of the first programs to run native in Mac OS X..

A couple of months not bad shows how easy it is to use an apple
--
The Black Angel

ravuya

• VIP
Networking & Mac
« Reply #10 on: 14 August 2002, 21:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax:
Try searching the information section at Apple.com. They document nearly everything you can do with the system. If you can't find there, surely there is a UNIX way of doing it by accessing the Terminal. Anyone out there know?

Mac OS X has SMB support. Go searching on an SMB tutorial and it will most likely work for you.

xyle_one

• VIP
Networking & Mac
« Reply #11 on: 15 August 2002, 00:13 »
From what i read at apple.com, Jaguar will easily read, and mount a windows volume, it also tricks windows into seeing the mac as a windows machine so i can access it from windows. nice. I am going to wait until jaguar comes out to setup my network. Yeah, i went to alias/wavefront page and downloaded both the windows and mac os versions of the free educational Maya4. Im not sure how they will run, i have a dual athlon 1.2ghz w/1gig ddr and geforce3, and a 800mhzG4 with 256ram, and a geforce3. oh well, we'll see. They didnt have a linux version of maya4 though   :(  

ecsyle-1

xyle_one

• VIP
Networking & Mac
« Reply #12 on: 15 August 2002, 00:19 »
_more mac questions_ kinda off subject....

I want to setup an ftp server, mostly so my girlfreind can grab my music & southpark files, but i have ran into a problem. Can i share an external harddrive, i have like 36gigs of music and media and i would hate to burn 45cds. I couldnt figure it out, and i dont want to burden my local drive with all thoses gigs. It would kinda defeat the purpose of the external drive. Thanks in advance.
ecsyle_1ne....

psyjax

• VIP
Networking & Mac
« Reply #13 on: 15 August 2002, 04:39 »
Is the external drive a FireWire drive?

the_black_angel

Networking & Mac
« Reply #14 on: 15 August 2002, 19:05 »
This probably won't work but set up your network manually (ie IP addresses 127.0.0.1 etc) make sure that the drive is shared by everyone then see if windows can see using telnet.exe, if it can then ftp will probably work (its already installed on your Apple)

I've never tried this so i don't know how well it will work
--
The Black Angel