Author Topic: An interesting question  (Read 3020 times)

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
An interesting question
« Reply #15 on: 18 June 2002, 03:03 »
makes me feel bad for selling someone a copy of Windows Molester Edition. /*then again the guy is an asshole*/ now i know he will go for microsoft shitware and maybe even buy an oem system with it on. and he will probably not try linux ever.
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

Chooco

• Kudos: 0
An interesting question
« Reply #16 on: 18 June 2002, 06:18 »
if Apple dominated the market then i would still rather have Linux.....i don't like Windows or MacOS because there's no console anymore or nothing runs in that console if it's still around. if mac dominated then we would be slamming Mac's "stupid flashy colors and GUI" just as we do for Windows now.
FreeBSD rox  ;)

choasforages

• VIP
An interesting question
« Reply #17 on: 18 June 2002, 07:53 »
did't steve jobs leave apple for a while to form NeXT. what does one think NeXT step to be. it i a bsd 4.3 based unix. apple has probably been planing the move to unix for a long time. probably ever since steve jobs came back and apple bought out NeXT. and yes, windows does have a console and it is very usefull. at my school we always have a blast using M$-DOS to hack there computers. im seriuos. we got local admin acess in five minutes. we also made a machine boot up and not load its window manager, and also not load explorer. hmmm, maybe that would work as evidence....

actauully i prefer computer markets where there are many different places to buy parts. you can build a decent x86 machine for about 300. or 200 if youve got parts laying around. with ppc machines theres little chanche to buy and build your own that doesn't invovle a macintosh somewhere.

Chooco

An interesting question
« Reply #18 on: 18 June 2002, 10:49 »
it would rock if they managed to get that MacOS thing be CONSOLE BASED meaning you login as console and you can do stuff in console just like Linux. it would make AWESOME servers and there's tons of compatible stuff in terms of games  ;)

all Mac needs is FreeBSD with a GUI that is easy for dummies to use (like me). i don't mean that it wipes your ass for you but it would at least be simple.....simple as Windows but powerful as Linux (and actually include the console this time)

choasforages

• VIP
An interesting question
« Reply #19 on: 18 June 2002, 12:12 »
actaully you can do stuff like that, check out the fink project on source forge.i have seen the people on techtv/*mostly helping people with windows*/ bring up a teramanil on macosx, i have even seen xmms running on macosx, if you have macosx i would really recommend checking out the project

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
An interesting question
« Reply #20 on: 18 June 2002, 14:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chooco:
it would rock if they managed to get that MacOS thing be CONSOLE BASED meaning you login as console and you can do stuff in console just like Linux. it would make AWESOME servers and there's tons of compatible stuff in terms of games   ;)  

all Mac needs is FreeBSD with a GUI that is easy for dummies to use (like me). i don't mean that it wipes your ass for you but it would at least be simple.....simple as Windows but powerful as Linux (and actually include the console this time)

that's exactly what OSX is.
i forget who it was on these forums who was trying out the whole MacOS/UNIX thing (maybe psyjax) but it looks very promising.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Chooco

An interesting question
« Reply #21 on: 18 June 2002, 22:45 »
no man, MacOS doesn't have a console. that is why it fails  IMO (it's a speed thing, sort of like why Solaris is more common for servers than Windows2000 is)

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
An interesting question
« Reply #22 on: 18 June 2002, 23:19 »
This was a topic of discussion before.  Even though I don't have a Mac with OSX (or even a Mac) I believe it is possible to start Mac OS X without the GUI by modifying "/etc/ttys".  Do some searching. I would love to play around with one but as I said, I don't have one. )-:
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
An interesting question
« Reply #23 on: 18 June 2002, 23:43 »
MacOS does not have a console, OSX does. Not sure how to get into it, since i have never used it, take voidmains advice and search though, since if this is the reason MacOSX fails for you, you are liable to be pleasantly surprised...

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

chris_h

An interesting question
« Reply #24 on: 19 June 2002, 01:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by VoidMain:
This was a topic of discussion before.  Even though I don't have a Mac with OSX (or even a Mac) I believe it is possible to start Mac OS X without the GUI by modifying "/etc/ttys".  Do some searching. I would love to play around with one but as I said, I don't have one. )-:

In OSX, you can just login as >console, which will forego all the GUI stuff. No modifying of files.

These pigs wanna blow my house down...

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
An interesting question
« Reply #25 on: 19 June 2002, 01:36 »
quote:
it would rock if they managed to get that MacOS thing be CONSOLE BASED meaning you login as console and you can do stuff in console just like Linux. it would make AWESOME servers and there's tons of compatible stuff in terms of games   ;)  

Hey Choco, sorry I havent been around lately or I would have set you guys straight on this  

The MacOSX console is located under Applications->Utillities. Drag it to your dock to keep it handy. It works using the standard UNIX shell commands.

MacOSX is hevely based on freeBSD if you start up and hold down Apple+v you get to see the familiar UNIX debugging junk, and as someone has already pointed out you can run without the GUI in pure darwin mode by typing >console in the login.

Also, if you donn't want the GUI even installed on your system, Darwin is freely available for download. There is even a version fo XFree86 that runs both under Darwin and also rootless withing Aqua (the OSX GUI)! This to me is the coolest thing, I can actually be running KDE and MacOSX Aqua at the same time as if they were both the same GUI. Is that cool or what  :D

Anyway...

OSX makes a great server, I use an old 233iMac G3 as a server and it runs great, even with the GUI. Granted, the GUI is slow, but it's webserving is not bad at all! Especially for the old hardware it is running.

Have a go at a Mac, their the best thing around as far as commercial OS's IMHO.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

voidmain

• VIP
An interesting question
« Reply #26 on: 19 June 2002, 01:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by Trumpet Winsock:

In OSX, you can just login as >console, which will forego all the GUI stuff. No modifying of files.

But it was my understanding that only gets you to "single user mode".  In which case networking and other things would not be started.  Is that correct?  And what if you want it to automatically boot up to a console login when powered up (acting as a GUIless server for instance)?

Chooco

An interesting question
« Reply #27 on: 19 June 2002, 02:34 »
yo i don't have a Mac on me so i have to ask. how do you use the console? are the commands just like Linux/BSD commands?

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
An interesting question
« Reply #28 on: 19 June 2002, 02:52 »
quote:
yo i don't have a Mac on me so i have to ask. how do you use the console? are the commands just like Linux/BSD commands?

They are very diffrent from Linux commands, that is, as diffrent as standard UNIX commands are from linux.

As far as UNIX commands go, yes. All of my reffrence materials are for BSD UNIX. I'm still very much a newbie at all this, but from what I have seen nearly every single command works as listed in all the manuals I have read.

Why shouldent it? It's the same kernel, for more on Darwin, far more than I could ever tell you, check out these links:

http://darwinfo.org/

or

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/

Void:

Im still looking in to your question, as I said I'm kind of new to this stuff    

Is there a simple way to test if you are in single or Multi-user mode? I mean all of the network commands work under Darwin mode, I'm not on the internet so I can't have someone ssh to me right now.

(Home from school for the summer, my comp. is in one room and I'm posting from my parent's computer. Ah... to be a goldbrickin college student  ;)  )

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

voidmain

• VIP
An interesting question
« Reply #29 on: 19 June 2002, 07:34 »
psyjax, the Darwin commands are *very* similar to Linux commands.  Linux, BSD, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, etc etc, all have the same basic commands with some added commands specific to the OS/hardware but the "basic" commands are all pretty much the same.  Very minor differences.  I have snooped around on my coworkers Mac through "ssh" and was very comfortable..

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]