Author Topic: Why M$ are gonna fail  (Read 1070 times)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Why M$ are gonna fail
« Reply #15 on: 10 October 2002, 16:06 »
the OSX version of openoffice.org is incredibly new (only a couple of weeks i think!), so give it a month or two for it to be translated and then check again is what i would say...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Why M$ are gonna fail
« Reply #16 on: 10 October 2002, 16:23 »
Yes I think I'll wait. I was really tempted to download it no matter how long it would take but then again I thought that it's still in an early stage so I didn't.

RudeCat7

• Kudos: 109
Why M$ are gonna fail
« Reply #17 on: 10 October 2002, 18:37 »
Back to why M$ is gonna fail...

Economics plain, and simple. Warez is what's been keeping microsoft alive. Who out of the people you know, can really afford to pay $200 for a new M$ operating system, and then pay more than $200 for office software? When people realize that they require the latest M$ operating system to connect to palladium enabled sites, a lot of people are going to just say, "screw it!". Joe Public's computers are generally just gathering dust in the corner. Economics will more likely make Joe Public try Linux simply because of cost, not ease of use. And, Linux is becoming easier, and easier to use, all the time.

That is why M$ is gonna fail.
*meow!* I didn't say Linux was easier, I said it was better, Dumbass!

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
Why M$ are gonna fail
« Reply #18 on: 11 October 2002, 02:13 »
quote:
"Although Office XP Subscription Licence was a popular offering, research showed the subscription model was not well understood by customers participating in the pilot. Customers and computer resellers from across New Zealand, Australia and France had the opportunity to be the first in the world to assess the subscription licensing model. From their feedback, we learnt that customers find subscriptions a useful method of purchasing software but are not ready to fully adopt this process... The consumer market just isn't ready for subscription-based software yet. The concept of software delivered as a service is new to consumers and right now the target market just didn't understand."

Here is the main reason M$ will ultimately fail. Notice just how arrogant that is! It couldn't possibly be due to the fact that these folks understood all too well just what M$ was doing, and that they just plain didn't like the idea, or that they believed that it wasn't right for their own situations. According to M$, that's not a possibility. The damn fools were just too st00pid to understand what a wonderful thing that M$ was trying to do for them. The entire corporate culture is incapable of admitting to an error in judgement, to being just plain wrong in reading the market or understanding their customers and their needs.

So long as they hold their own customers in such contempt, they will continue to mis-read the market, continue to alienate their own customers, continue to push the paying public to alternatives such as Linux, until, in the end, they have no more customers.

History repeats itself. This was the same mistake GM made in the 1960s and 1970s. It wasn't that all those Japanese cars were so good; it was that GM pushed away its own customers. Now look where GM is today: just another car company among many, no longer the King of the Road.    

Computers are like air conditioners: they can't do their jobs if you open windows.
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?