Author Topic: Dashboard  (Read 980 times)

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
Dashboard
« on: 29 June 2004, 05:52 »
I could hardly believe the leaked screenshots (now removed) from the upcoming version of Mac OS X: Tiger, but it looks like it's all true. Apple is including in the next version a feature called Dashboard. The following description comes from Apple's website:

quote:
The Dashboard is home to a new kind of application called Widgets. Widgets are mini-applications written in JavaScript that are designed for fun as well as function. They keep you up to date with timely information from the Internet such as stock quotes or the latest view from your favorite Web cam. They can also provide quick, simple access to frequently-used applications such as a calculator, a playback controller for iTunes and a contact look-up for Address Book.

Compare it to the following text that I got from the Konfabulator website:

quote:
Konfabulator is a JavaScript runtime engine for Mac OS X that lets you run little files called Widgets that can do pretty much whatever you want them to. Widgets can be alarm clocks, calculators, can tell you your AirPort signal strength, will fetch the latest stock quotes for your preferred symbols, and even give your current local weather.

Now this may be me.... but did Apple perhaps copy someone's product? I'm sure of course this microsoft-like act couldn't be compared to anything like Sherlock vs Watson? What exactly are they up to?