Author Topic: I WANT MACOS X  (Read 1130 times)

Mojo

• Kudos: 0
I WANT MACOS X
« on: 1 April 2002, 23:27 »
For x86! WHEN????!!

Bah, I cant afford a Mac (and i dont want another PC - But i desperatly want MacOS X as an addition to my 98/XP/slackware/LFS setup!

Why? I just cant get photoshop for linux (WINE = plop) running in any way. I can't use gimp (Really hate the interface). So I saw MacOS X - and mmm it looks quite sexy.

So is there ANY hopy of seeing MacOS X onto the PC platform? Can anyone hack Apple and rape source code?

emulation - no I wont even ask.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
I WANT MACOS X
« Reply #1 on: 2 April 2002, 00:21 »
Only thing goin on right now is a grupe porting OS X to x86 Darwin. Apple is not against the project and is quite interested in what they are doing, but Apple themselves aren't likely going to port their OS.

There are various Pro's and Con's buisness wise for doing this and Apple made a wise choice according to many. But I personaly would like to see a port, if Apple's OS compeated on the same turf as Windoze, I thinl OS X would win hands down.

As far as Mac's being expensive. Go for it. A new iMac will run photoshop perfectly and about anything else you throw at it.

Don't go whining about expandabilty etc. Mac's work, you don't spend your time tracking down little parts to tweek everything because the systems include everything you need.

It's well worth it. Even a low-end tower will do most anything. If you are a student Apple takes off 25% and there are cheep little shortcuts you can take, like cheep third party ram, cheep PC monitors etc.

Go for it. Mac's are worth it. You will use and own one for a very long time before your looking to replace it (another great thing about macs IMHO   ).

read thrugh the othe posts in this forum. I have discused this there as well.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Mojo

I WANT MACOS X
« Reply #2 on: 2 April 2002, 01:09 »
Yeah I know Mac's are GREAT for getting work done. They also look sexy.

I want MacOS X because:

* Its stable
* Its sexy
* Its really sexy
* Its sexy
* Its unix based
* It runs my programs easily.

*sigh* So annoyong. Thats the big drawback with MacOS to users - expensive hardware.

I HOPE they port it themselves. How can this group port it - without source? Or is MacOS open-source? I know the darwin core is - please explain!

So basically I cant buy a Mac (Id lvoe to believe me) because im 16 and about to enter into my second college course (Graphic design) and dont have the time for a job. *sniff*.

But if anone wants to donate a G4 to M.. err.. Switch7.net for pleas... err... benchmarking of gam... err... server software - feel free to do so!

*sniff*

Thanks

psyjax

• VIP
I WANT MACOS X
« Reply #3 on: 2 April 2002, 01:17 »
Wow that sux. OSX Illustrator and PS7 rock. I'm actually studying at art school now. Run mostly Photoshop and illustrator studiying comics and Animation (yeah!!!! totaly practical degrees   :D  ).

Well, anyway. Ask your folks or something. A G4 is a must have for graphic design, sometime down the road you are going to have to get one. You can't judge G4's on clock speed when it comes to art apps. The new Adobe crop is all vectorized and floors the PC versions.

I run them, they rock!

But ya.. Darwin is open source, what they are trying to do is make it sort of emulated or somthing. They are trying to modify darwin so it emulates interfaces needed for it to run on PC's.

I dunno. They are a bunch of hacks so I woulden't put reverse engeneering and OSX code snaged thrugh dubious means    , but ya, they were working on it last I heard. Tho I can't seem to find their website anymore (I hope this is not a bad sign   :(  ).

P.s. Check apple for a student discount or student loan machine. They go along way to make deals with students and schools, contact them, or check their site, you might be surprised!

[ April 01, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

bcortens

I WANT MACOS X
« Reply #4 on: 2 April 2002, 01:23 »
The problem lies in the lack of power in a PC processor not in the PC itself, the MOTO PPC chips are designed to do multiple data processing streams at once so it makes them A LOT more powerfull though they should work on a way to make the OS itself assign the processing power so that Altivec will work on Apps not designed for it, their has gotta be a way after all.  Apple should get that 128 bit altivec core running throughout the OS, that would make the G4 even more powerful.

As far as porting X to x86 architecture I hope it works, for those who don't have the $$ to get a Mac, though I highly recommend a Mac to anyone who wants to use OS X.  They rule but if you lack the cash then watch and hope OS X port goes through
The wave of the future is within the holo field distorted world of Apple HQ

Mojo

I WANT MACOS X
« Reply #5 on: 2 April 2002, 23:14 »
Exactly. thats the problem - $$ - which is the whole point of me posting - Because id rather install it on my highly-upgraded desktop x86 machine - than buy a new computer altogether.

Ask my parents? What are you some kind of rich little  sailor-suit snob going to private school??!?!?! You gotta be kiddin. Not EVERYONE is rich ya know - some people have to work for stuff...

Cheese...

psyjax

• VIP
I WANT MACOS X
« Reply #6 on: 2 April 2002, 23:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mojo:
Ask my parents? What are you some kind of rich little  sailor-suit snob going to private school??!?!?! You gotta be kiddin. Not EVERYONE is rich ya know - some people have to work for stuff...

WTF? I sure hope this shit ain't aimed at me, because I certainly didn't say anything to merit this response. I understand the expense, Im saying that the investment is a good one and pays off in the longrun. Furthermore if you got the cash for a
PC, you prolly can spare some extra or even Finance (wow thers a concept) to get a Mac if you really want to.

Oh ya, and I have worked my ass off for everything I own. I come from a poor 3rd world country and my folks aren't well off at all, both them and me had to make lots of sacrifices in order for me to go to school, so I highly resent your accusation.

Macman

• http://macrevolution.cjb.net
I WANT MACOS X
« Reply #7 on: 4 April 2002, 13:23 »
Uh oh. I feel like something is about to explode.

Mojo, hardware mollestation is illegal in thirty-three states, so stay away from the disk drive.

And psyjax, chill out  :cool:  . there's nothing wrong with being a rich snob.
"The Macintosh may only have 10% of the market, but it is clearly the top 10%."

Phantom Menace

• http://www.geocities.com/ahspantherband
I WANT MACOS X
« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2002, 02:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax :
P.s. Check apple for a student discount or student loan machine. They go along way to make deals with students and schools, contact them, or check their site, you might be surprised!

What kind of deals will Apple be willing to make with school districts? My stupid district is standardizing on those PC's sold by the stupid "Dude, you're getting a Dell" Steve guy (I wouldn't mind if they didn't preload Windoze, but that's not the case). I'd really like to help them get their heads out of their arses and buy Macs.

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: Phantom Menace ]

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: Phantom Menace ]

"I see boundaries more clearly now than I used to.  I'm better at toying with people cerebrally than I was a few years ago.  I'm better at fucking with your head."
   -Chino Moreno, Deftones lead singer

ravuya

• VIP
I WANT MACOS X
« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2002, 03:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom Menace:

What kind of deals will Apple be willing to make with school districts? My stupid district is standardizing on those PC's sold by the stupid "Dude, you're getting a Dell" Steve guy (I wouldn't mind if they didn't preload Windoze, but that's not the case). I'd really like to help them get their heads out of their arses and buy Macs.

Par for the course as far as school boards go. They generally go with the cheapest boxes available as of late.

Remember, the future of the planet is being trained on these toddler-boxes running Winders.

psyjax

• VIP
I WANT MACOS X
« Reply #10 on: 18 April 2002, 06:15 »
Apple is pretty good about deals. If you call a sales rep you can usualy work something out. I don't know right off hand, but the site dosn't allways say everything that is available. I highly sugest you call them and ask specific questions. Their real nice on the phone and do a good job at trying to help you out.

If that dosn't work out, don't forget the third party distributors like MacMall, Outpost, Mac Warehouse, etc. they usualy have their own deals.

Finally,

eBay! Cheep Mac's galore, and some newer models to. Don't underestimate the power of an online auction  :D .