Author Topic: the real reason wintel boxes are inferior to Macs...  (Read 2005 times)

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
the real reason wintel boxes are inferior to Macs...
« Reply #15 on: 22 January 2003, 21:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy James: Mac Commando:
Right now, Apple's claim to fame is quality and software. That's why I use Apple computers instead of PCs. I can't run Mac OS and OS X on x86 boxes. And even if I could, I'd have to worry about IBM's shitty static BIOS concept rearing its ugly head and fucking things up, making hardware configuration a true Pain In The Ass(TM)

[ January 21, 2003: Message edited by: Jimmy James: Mac Commando ]

Maxtor drives aren't that bad. They are better than Western Digitals for sure. Western Digital drives have always given me problems. We've had alot of WD drives returned to us where I work because of problems that our customers had with them too. When it comes to quality, I recommend a Seagate Barricuda. They are fast, quiet and reliable. Maxtor comes to a close second place. Maxtor drives are damn good for as cheap as they are. I think that Apple should do something about thier current line of G4's. I think it is time for Apple to unveil the G5 or at least a G4 that is considerably faster than what they have today(get those suckers to 2ghz or something). Apple needs to get on the bandwagon of updating the technology that thier motherboards use too. You are pissing in the wind when you slap a fast processor into a mobo that has bad memory bandwidth(PC-133 SDRAM really does suck by todays standards) and slow hard drive transfers(aren't Macs still limited to ATA66 or ATA100?).

(EDIT)Fuck IBM BTW. Why would you use a anything made by IBM or anything that uses IBMs' technology(like the BIOS you mentioned)? Personally I prefer boards that use an Award BIOS. I have never had any configuration problems nor have I had my BIOS configuration changed without me making the modifications with a standard Award BIOS.

[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
« Reply #16 on: 22 January 2003, 21:40 »
Why would anyone run a movie, burn a CD and do many other things at the same time? Only those who wanna show off do this. Don
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #17 on: 22 January 2003, 15:32 »
Zombie,

In everything, individual experience varies. My experience with drives has been the reverse. Maxtors failing and WDs going strong for years, years, years. Not saying you're wrong. Just saying all of my Maxtors have died horribly while all my WDs have been the acme of reliability.

About the BIOS, I'm just talking about the original PC BIOS. I, too, rather like Award's BIOS. It's the best PnP implementation I've seen on x86.

And like I said, the hardware bottlenecks that plague Apple's hardware are strangling them. dual 1.25GHz G4s really could whip the shit outta the 3GHz Northwood P4... if they didn't have the world's shittiest architecture around the G4s. They don't fully utilize the DDR RAM, and the G4s are starved for bandwidth.

The next Power Macs need... really need... at LEAST 1.8+ GHz processors, serial ATA, a good DDR architecture that actually works, and other things that can't be described as "so 1999".
Go the fuck ~

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #18 on: 22 January 2003, 15:51 »
now as for pc vs wintel, i think zombies machine would be a bit faster. then agian, moterola/*SP*/ has really been dragging their feet. but then agian, in the AIM/*no, not the instant messanger, the Apple IBM Moterola*/ pact hopefully IBM can delever with the ppc 970. and its a damn shame that the alpha is getting scraped for the itanic, but this is a mac forum so ill talk about it later. on the what i have done.

ok, i got my powermac 9500 a month or so ago, pluged it into my network, and when i told it to it configured itself with dhcp. and i didn't need to reboot it. i though that was pretty cool, but it only has a 1 gig harddrive in it. so i was thinking, and looking at my 100gig western digital/*most of the harddrives i have are WD's, then agian, the quaility is probably down all around*/ since i don't have an expensive ata card for the mac, i went and loaded netatalk up on my main linux box. low and and clicked the chooser and selected the drive. entered my username and password, and it mounted the drive. and started installing software on it and using itunes. unlike my experiances with samba, it is a nightmare on both ends.
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
« Reply #19 on: 23 January 2003, 00:01 »
Here is something for you fools. My PC plays great games like Counter Strike, Quake, Unreal Tournament, BZFlag, and more, I can burn CD's at 8x(thats as fast as my burner goes), watch movies in a lot of formats thanks to mplayer, realplayer, xine, xmovie, and ogle for DVD's, I have OpenOffice 1.0 for office documents, KDE 3 for eye candy, Mozilla for browsing, and The Gimp for graphic manipulation, and its all on my 200 mhz PC. The thing never crashes, and it only shows its age when compiling programs from source. Best thing is that the pc only cost me $15.

Lintel kicks ass. (Linux + Intel)
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

Interscope

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #20 on: 23 January 2003, 12:35 »
CS?????

What fps???

You must've tweaked that like hell, i've used a similar machine and it was sooo slow.
Free it, goddamnit!

Computer security is very much like home security - you can take as many security precautions as you like but if you leave windows open, sooner or later you'll get broken into. - (Calum 2003)

choasforages

• VIP
« Reply #21 on: 23 January 2003, 15:36 »
as for multitasking, i do almost same thing/*can't watch a movie cause its way to slow*/, burn a cd at 40x while using xmms and surfing the inernet and running a gnutella client, ill probably have 2/3 terminal's open. and for not multitasking like that, am i supposed to stop doing everything when i cut a disk? not listen to mp3's when im surfing the web, and god forbid leave the gnutella client up 80% of the time

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #22 on: 23 January 2003, 18:12 »
I agree with Jimmy James here. Apple should focus more on delivering faster processors and utilizing DDR RAM more efficiently and less on marketing.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #23 on: 23 January 2003, 18:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:

I bet my 2.53ghz P4 Northwood w/1GB of 1,200mhz RDRAM, 120GB 7,200 RPM ATA-133 IDE drive(I am going to be moving to SCSI storage soon)beats the piss out of any Mac on the market right now. IT is fast....devilishly fast.

(EDITED because of a typo)

[ January 21, 2003: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

Yea kinda like a compareing a Supercharged big ass V8 to some jap turbo car, the V8 may have more horsepower but the HANDLEING is fucked right around.

PC's have power, no doubt about it, but they are to primative with to many backwards downties which make them crappy, mainly its the fact that PC's have 10 zillion brands of parts which makes them nice and cheap but unreliable.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #24 on: 23 January 2003, 19:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by Interscope:
BSD has the best multitasking.
OSX uses BSD.

Windoze does not use BSD

=-)

Windows NT's kernel and the bulk of it was made by the same devlopers from the VMS team, it is like vms  in almost everyway except Microsoft put the Win32 API and Win16 API and DOS emulation in the kernel, drive letters and other shit which shitted it. Instead of innovating they fucked a good os.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #25 on: 23 January 2003, 19:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:

There is something wrong with your PC then. My system(s) can multitask like a champ. Right now I'm burning a CD, playing a 630MB MPEG in WMP9, surfing the net, uploading some files to my FTP space and I have Project 64(N64 emulator) running with a 60MB ROM loaded(Conkers Bad Fur Day) and the system isn't hiccuping at all. As a matter of fact, I still have 54% of my CPU cycles left according to my CPU meter. Now, if I were burning a CD with a burner that works only in PIO mode there would be some troubles. Gotta love DMA transfer modes on storage devices.

Your problem with the PC could be your OS(Win9x can't multitask for shit if you are using 9x), you could have a PIO hard drive(or your BIOS has DMA disabled)), you have a small amount of RAM, you have a crappy video card or something has your OS installation bum-fucked or it could be a combination of more than 1 of the above.

If this was a Dual CPU or a Hyperthread enabled system, I would only be using like 8-12% of my CPU cycles.

[ January 21, 2003: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

I can do more in Linux  (play UT) well CD's burn, i have had NO COASTERS. And my system is a Celery 850 with only 256mb of ram.

ALL HAIL LINUS

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #26 on: 23 January 2003, 19:42 »
Oh yeah. Well my computer can beat up all your computers. And still have power to play UT.

Your CD-RW doesn't happen to have brun-proof, eh X11?

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #27 on: 24 January 2003, 00:12 »
my Power Mac 7200 could whip all y'all!

And if you survived, my SE/30 and my Mac 512 will tag team on ya and whip ya like Hulk and the Rock!
Go the fuck ~

choasforages

• VIP
« Reply #28 on: 24 January 2003, 07:20 »
hehehe,

as for the *BSD and VMS stuff, windowsnt is the bastard child of both operating systems, and it grew up in a very dysfunctional family.

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
« Reply #29 on: 26 January 2003, 13:48 »
Let me just say that counter strike is by no means at high frames per second, but it does run just fine at low resolutions with my geforce 2. Im not a believer in the whole mhz myth, and my computer is proof positive that you dont need a 2 ghz pc, or dual g4 mac, to have a decent computer experience. Infact I dont think that anyone needs a pc (non mac) faster than 500 mhz unless they are doing graphic art, or playing high end games. I noticed when I bought a 1.8 ghz pc, I could not tell a speed difference when using normal applications compared to my 433mhz.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net