Author Topic: iTunes for Windows!!  (Read 2143 times)

billy_gates

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
iTunes for Windows!!
« Reply #30 on: 20 October 2003, 21:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by Dirk Gently:
kinda stupid to be turned on by default. I have to say, though

This is a long set Apple policy and it makes 100% amount of sense to me.
"turn all the stuff on by defualt that may commonly be used, then if the advanced people don't want it, they can turn it off"  this way you don't force dumb people to learn how to do stuff, you just force advanced people to have to optimise by turning off features.
I love this policy from Apple, it makes everything so incredicly simple.

[ October 20, 2003: Message edited by: jeffberg: Mac Capitalist ]

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
iTunes for Windows!!
« Reply #31 on: 20 October 2003, 10:05 »
However, if Microsoft does the same thing some people scream that the software is bloated. They scream that MS is adding stuff that hogs memory and is useless to alot of people. Those same people also scream that Microsoft is trying to control your computer. Advanced users can disable extra services installed by microsoft software the same way that they can disable the iPod service. That doesn't matter though because it is just so unspeakably wrong for MS to enable extra stuff by default.

How is enabling an iPod service by default any different? It isn't like everybody who uses iTunes owns an iPod.

[ October 20, 2003: Message edited by: Viper ]

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
iTunes for Windows!!
« Reply #32 on: 20 October 2003, 18:42 »
Enabling services is one thing, preventing you from removing them all together is another!

I still can't figure out how to get Outlook Express outta my system.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

slvadcjelli42

iTunes for Windows!!
« Reply #33 on: 22 October 2003, 04:31 »
Eh, fair enough about making things simple for the user... I think I see what Viper is saying though. All depends on who you're aiming the product at I guess.
Outlook Express, really? What windows version? I was messing with a 2000 installation not too long ago, and remembered people saying it was very difficult to remove outlook express, IE, WAB, etc, so I was expecting some resistance, but I removed them all (and a lot more) with no trouble (or extra programs) at all. What's with that? Is it more difficult for different Windows versions?

Zombie9920

iTunes for Windows!!
« Reply #34 on: 22 October 2003, 06:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax: plain 'ol psyjax:
Enabling services is one thing, preventing you from removing them all together is another!

I still can't figure out how to get Outlook Express outta my system.

It isn't hard to remove Outlook express. I removed it a long time ago because I use Outlook 2003.

BTW, there is a difference between Outlook Express and the iTunes services. Outlook express only uses memory when you are running it. When it isn't being used it does no harm to resources.

psyjax

• VIP
iTunes for Windows!!
« Reply #35 on: 22 October 2003, 07:08 »
How do you remove it?

I went to Add/Remove, got rid of it. But it's still in my system. It pops up now and then when I click on an e-mail adress in certain programs.

EDIT: Just noticed Dirk's post. Im on 2000

[ October 21, 2003: Message edited by: psyjax: plain 'ol psyjax ]

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
iTunes for Windows!!
« Reply #36 on: 22 October 2003, 07:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax: plain 'ol psyjax:
How do you remove it?

I went to Add/Remove, got rid of it. But it's still in my system. It pops up now andhttp://forum.microsuck.com/ubb/icons/icon4.gif
http://forum.microsuck.com/ubb/icons/icon4.gif then when I click on an e-mail adress in certain programs.

It's not actually uninstalled. It's only the icons and the shortcuts that are removed.

You'll need a third party tool like IEradicator or an app from LitePC to get rid of Outleak.

Zombie9920

iTunes for Windows!!
« Reply #37 on: 22 October 2003, 08:53 »
I got rid of Outlook Express like this.

First go to Add/Remove programs and got rid of it's icons. Next, go to start---->run and type "regedit" without the quotes and hit enter. Now, highlight My Computer(left click on it) then go to Edit---->Find. In find type Outlook Express and click Find Next. When it finds the first entry simply press delete to delete it. Now press F3 and it will find the next entry, delete it as well. Press F3 again and you know what to do. Continue doing that until you have deleted every entry in the registry.

You will want to repeat the process from the beginning but this time search for msoe instead of Outlook Express. Do it again 1 last time...this time search for msimn.

After you clean the registry go to C:\Prgram Files--->highlight the Outlook Express folder----->Hold Shift and press Delete (Of course it won't be C:\ if you installed Windows to a different drive/partation).

Now it should be gone.

[ October 22, 2003: Message edited by: Viper ]

psyjax

• VIP
iTunes for Windows!!
« Reply #38 on: 22 October 2003, 21:31 »
WOW! So simple!  :eek:  

I didn't realize the solution was so obvious! How could I be so blind!   :rolleyes:  

Nothing like Apple's ever so sneaky strategy of letting you delete the program by simply dragging it to the trash. Noooo, M$ is so much more straignt forward.

Ummm... sarcasam aside, thanks a bunch!  :D

I have been trying to get rid of outlook.

Zombie9920

iTunes for Windows!!
« Reply #39 on: 22 October 2003, 13:57 »
In Windows, He who controls the registry has the power(full control of the system).

Of course there is alot more to controlling the registry than deleting entries. ;P

slvadcjelli42

iTunes for Windows!!
« Reply #40 on: 23 October 2003, 03:50 »
Ehhh... from your instructions, though, won't the program still be there? heh i didn't even think it would be listed in the Add/Remove programs list so I just deleted all the shortcuts and registry data manually, and deleted the program the shortcuts pointed to. No big deal. Same goes for internet explorer or the address book. I tried IEradicator *after* i had had my try at deleting IE and it didn't do anything i hadn't already done. (I figured it would get rid of the mentions of IE when using explorer.exe with web pages, but no). Meh, it's all off topic anyway.

Zombie9920

iTunes for Windows!!
« Reply #41 on: 23 October 2003, 04:35 »
No it won't still be there. Notice the final step in my instructions(Delete the Outlook Express folder).

slvadcjelli42

iTunes for Windows!!
« Reply #42 on: 24 October 2003, 05:15 »
Oh yeah, sorry, missed that for some reason.