Author Topic: Where Apple Doesn't Always Play Nice  (Read 2208 times)

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
Where Apple Doesn't Always Play Nice
« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2002, 07:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax:

Some OS's can manage the CPU and RAM usage efficiently so that media files wont even crawl on an old machine. I can load up 3 or 4 .mpg's on my old iMac with minnimal speed hit.

Ehh, that wasn't no old machine buddy. That pic was taken on an Athlon XP 1600+ w/256MB of PC2100 DDR-Ram. The problem is, Apple doesn't know how to adopt hardware acceleration. Direct Draw 2D hardware acceleration for video playback (which WMP uses)makes a big difference in performance compared to software rendering(which Quicktime uses).
I don't know what Apples' problem is, but they just seem to be clueless on how to program thier stuff to use DirectX.

[ May 24, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2002, 07:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by Windows XP User #5225982375:

I know Microsoft developed Internet Explorer out of Mosaic, but they've modified it so heavily it is now mostly Microsoft code.

A quote from "Return of the Jedi" comes to mind when I read this. "He
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #17 on: 25 May 2002, 21:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:

Ehh, that wasn't no old machine buddy. That pic was taken on an Athlon XP 1600+ w/256MB of PC2100 DDR-Ram. The problem is, Apple doesn't know how to adopt hardware acceleration. Direct Draw 2D hardware acceleration for video playback (which WMP uses)makes a big difference in performance compared to software rendering(which Quicktime uses).
I don't know what Apples' problem is, but they just seem to be clueless on how to program thier stuff to use DirectX.

I think I phrased that wrong. I was saying that Quicktime under OSX I can open 3 or 4 mpegs on my 233 iMac with a minnimal speed hit. when looking at the terminal QT takes up areound 20% or so of resources.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #18 on: 25 May 2002, 21:13 »
quote:
Oh boohoo, Microsoft bundles software with thier OS. It is thier OS so I think they should have the right to bundle whatever they want with it. It isn't like the bundled MS software cripples third party apps, so why piss and moan about it?
Besides..if you know what you are doing you can easily remove any bundled compenent from Windows(Like IE, Windows Messenger, WMP, etc.) without the need of any third party removers. Doesn't Apple bundle Finder with thier OS? Don't they bundle iTunes too?

http://www.ticz.com/homes/users/waltw/removec.jpg

ya ya... but to uninstall iTunes or WMP all you do is delete the program. iTunes has a couple of folders in your user directory but thats about it for "hidden/embeded" files. Windows tends to give deep roots to whatever it bundles with their system.

As for the Finder, that basicaly is the OS. That's the window navigator and file browser. That's basically something akin to the program manager back in Win31 (of cource infinitly better).

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #19 on: 25 May 2002, 11:41 »
quote:
As for the Finder, that basicaly is the OS. That's the window navigator and file browser. That's basically something akin to the program manager back in Win31 (of cource infinitly better).

Just like IE functions as Windows Explorer(and makes Windows Explorer alot better). Personally I don't give a damn what Apple bundles with thier OS(I don't know why you guys worry about Microsofts' app bundling so much since you aren't using Windows)..because it is thier OS and they have the right to bundle whatever they want to bundle with it. The same applies for Windows...but you over zealous MS haters can't seem to understand that Windows is Microsofts' OS(it doesn't belong to no 3rd party) and Microsoft should have the right to put whatever they want to put into THIER software without a big fuss. The 3rd party software makers didn't make Windows, so why should thier apps be bundled with Windows? Microsoft on the other hand *did* make Windows, therefore Microsoft has the right to bundle whatever Microsoft app they want to bundle with thier Microsoft OS. Heck, even Linux has a bunch of crap that comes with it(the apps that are bundled with Linux easily surpasses the space required for MS's few small apps).

To make a long story short, you guys think that it isn't wrong to bundle apps with an OS unless Microsoft is the company doing it. Quit being so hypocritical and go bitch about Apple bundling stuff with thier OS and while your at it..go bitch  about Apple selling Macs with MacOS pre-installed. You never see Macs sold with Linux(or any other alternative OS) pre-installed do you?

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

Heru

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #20 on: 25 May 2002, 13:01 »
There is nothing wrong with bundling software with an OS.  What is wrong is making it seem as though that OS needs that software when it doesn't, and making it impossible(or nearly) to uninstall.

Without Finder MacOS would be unusable(except OSX).
But without IE windows works very well.  I removed IE from my computer and guess what?  I didn't lose much functionality at all.  And my system is more stable(unless I run one program I hppen to use alot).

Even MS themselves say that IE is not needed for Windows to work well(internal emails provided as evidence in the anti-trust suit).  Even today Explorer does all the work, it gets it's extras(the ones that MS says IE provides) from 2 dll files that IE places in your system directory, as long as they are still there your system will be relatively the same.  I know this because I removed IE but left those dll's.

And I don't mind MS bundling Windows Media Player, or MSN messanger, but I'd like to uninstall them(easily, without editing files, they should be removeable like any other program).  They arent needed by the OS.
On a mac I can uninstall Quicktime or AOLIM(easily), so why not WMP and MSNIM on Windows?

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: Heru ]

Gooseberry Clock

• http://redrangersoftware.cjb.net/
« Reply #21 on: 25 May 2002, 18:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by Windows XP User #5225982375:
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2002/tc20020522_5198.htm
I clicked that and a Flash advert for Windows and Office XP appeared smack in the middle of my screen. Do Apple even have Flash?
quote:
So are id Software (Quake).
quote:
Quicktime under OSX I can open 3 or 4 mpegs on my 233 iMac with a minnimal speed hit. when looking at the terminal QT takes up areound 20% or so of resources.
I think Apple know how to program for their own platform, just like Microsoft know how to program for theirs.
quote:
Originally posted by Heru:
Without Finder MacOS would be unusable(except OSX).
But without IE windows works very well.

Bad comparison.
quote:
On a mac I can uninstall AOLIM(easily)
Good.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #22 on: 25 May 2002, 20:31 »
quote:

I clicked that and a Flash advert for Windows and Office XP appeared smack in the middle of my screen. Do Apple even have Flash?

My god your dumb.... Macromedia's site autodetects you and diverts you... Even Linux has flash you fuck.. And apple made the word "Multimedia" you dumb fuck. Microsoft just steal...

quote:

So are id Software (Quake).

Yes real games use OpenGL... but poor people like Goosebury clock have non OpenGL optimized 2mb Trident cards that give him 5fps in 400x300 in cs/hl. Real games with graphics as good as Quake 3 use OpenGL. Fuck off back to runescape you fagget!

quote:

I think Apple know how to program for their own platform, just like Microsoft know how to program for theirs.

So then whats with your gay little site
http://fuckapple.cjb.net
you little shit 12 year old. (maybe 10)
I fucked your forums for you too....
HAPPY BSOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Windows 98 using peice of shit you are.

I will raise the core voltage on this clock-cunts ass and overClock him!  
  :D

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #23 on: 25 May 2002, 20:35 »
quote:
About us page:[QB]
I also noticed fuckApple.com wasn't taken yet, and not wanting to see that domain get snatched up by a cluebag 12-year-old whose idea of professional graphics software is Microsoft Word Art
[QB]

Goosenbury....  the webmaster talks about you here      
I will tell the master to put an image linking to
file:C:\CON\CON on that page.

Also nice ms word art on your page and nice popups you poor us fuck. Get a job ya bumassfuck!!!

Also cuntenbury clock shows his knoledge of html in this line of his shitty HTML code:
Code: [Select]

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: X11 ]

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #24 on: 25 May 2002, 21:10 »
quote:
X11: Also nice ms word art on your page and nice popups you poor us fuck. Get a job ya bumassfuck!!!

I think fuckApple.cjb.net was created with paint...

fingerer

« Reply #25 on: 25 May 2002, 21:28 »
[Deleted due to stupidity, basicaly reapeating XP users tag. funny haha... *groan*, honestly, Borg are sooo uncreative]

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

Gooseberry Clock

• http://redrangersoftware.cjb.net/
« Reply #26 on: 25 May 2002, 21:41 »
quote:
My god your dumb.... Macromedia's site autodetects you and diverts you... Even Linux has flash you fuck.. And apple made the word "Multimedia" you dumb fuck. Microsoft just steal...
What I meant was I've never seen a single thing made in Flash from Apple. Oh yeah, I forgot: they use NotSoQuickTime.
quote:
Yes real games use OpenGL... but poor people like Goosebury clock have non OpenGL optimized 2mb Trident cards that give him 5fps in 400x300 in cs/hl. Real games with graphics as good as Quake 3 use OpenGL. Fuck off back to runescape you fagget!
ePSXe runs faster using Direct3D than OpenGL on my GeForce 2. Only people with gay cards like 3DFUX and Voodon't need OpenGL.

And read my other reply as well.
quote:
Also nice ms word art on your page
The logo is made in Flash, dumbass.
quote:
Also cuntenbury clock shows his knoledge of html in this line of his shitty HTML code:
I'm happy with my choice of HTML editor. And if I'm not, I can always do it manually.

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #27 on: 25 May 2002, 21:46 »
Hey Gooseberry,

Yes, there is Flash for Mac. And belive it or not QuickTime plays flash movies. Macromedia is a strong supporter of Mac software and has versions of everything they make for Mac (altho adobe kicks their ass IMHO). I see lot's of Flash made on Mac, even on Newgrounds. My bro makes websites using Flash of an old iMac.

Yes it exists, alive and well in the Mac world.

As far as DirectX and OpenGL, I think this is an interesting topic. There are upsides and downsides to both of these. A major upside to OpenGL is that it is open source and portable (is DirectX open source?, I dont think it is). You can get anything to run on OpenGL.

Another thing is that the folks over at id love Linux and open source. VoidMan had that great Carmack quote about porting DooM to Linux he said "I ported it cuz linux gave me a hardon".  :D

xploser

• http://buttfucker.com/
« Reply #28 on: 27 May 2002, 02:24 »
Why do you say IE and WMP are shit?  Is it because they are shit? IE is currently the best web browser in the world, it crashes all the time but I am one of those people who thinks that Netscape is the only other browser in existence. Microsoft worked hard and stole their code from under their noses, you have to admire ingenuity like that.  And WMP, while not functional, plays video if you are very lucky.  I personally use WinAmp for audio, because I think AOL are Gods as well as Microsoft.  Quicktime on Windows sucks donkey balls and consumes much RAM; so does RealPlayer which is huge spyware and all that other drivel that I cut and pasted from some website because I have no opinions of my own.  Microsoft is where it is because I believe they make the highest quality software. If I didn't believe that, they would be somewhere else completely. It has taken them a while to find their ass with both hands and a map but Windows XP is actually an OS and only a sentient being would complain about anything in it (unless they wanted a visit from the Redmons boys at 2 AM that is).  If there were something better, people would be brainwashed into thinking Windows had better customer support, and Microsoft would be trying their damnedest to make sure that the better OS got ground under their heel.  The Mac OS may arguably be better but the Mac hardware is as well but the price tag is too difficult for an idiot like me to read in the shop since the staff come over and ask me hard questions if I stare for longer than ten minutes or so!  And now Microsoft will soon release a service pack to Windows XP that will let you easily install and uninstall all of Microsoft's bundled software. I also heard that pigs have been reported to have released a structured timetable of all their flights around the globe.

www.trustworthycomputing.com

It is beyond me why anyone would want to think for themselves, since IE kicks Netscape's ass, and that open-source abomination Mozilla that is buggy as hell and takes 30 seconds to load. (Sorry that sentence was one verb short but I'm a bit hard of thinking)  However, not everyone wants MSN messenger or WMP installed, I guess they are all lusers and hackers who deserve to die.  So no more whining from anyone about MS forcing people to use their products, or I will know that you are a liar liar pants on fire; they never have anyway and now they are even letting competitors put their stuff in Microsoft's own OS! They are such lovely guys that I think I'll go and give Steve Ballmer a blow job in a corridor! I'd like to see Apple even let you buy a Mac that doesn't come with their OS or god forbid buy one from a 3rd party source because that sort of thing just turns me on. It's not as if the MacOS is actually free, or if it's even possible to run BeOS or Linux on the Mac after all! Windows rocks for that reason!

#1 Mozilla wipes the floor with IE on OS X.

Touch
open source is even more dumb that me!
go away!

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #29 on: 27 May 2002, 03:01 »
XP loser, your on a roll!!!! HAHAHAAHHAHA!