Author Topic: Clueless, stupid, or just looking for a black eye?  (Read 574 times)

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Clueless, stupid, or just looking for a black eye?
« on: 28 September 2002, 12:49 »
Well, I'm new to the site and the forums, but I must say... top notch!

So... I'm in the market for a new 'book to replace my now aging PowerBook 3400. I've looked it all over and I've decided on a 12" iBook 700.

But anyway... here's how my story begins... I'm sitting here in my room at crappy Arkansas State University (if you're considering this school, my advice is to RUN THE FUCK AWAY FROM IT), and I decide I need some energy, so I head downstairs to get some Dew. There's a guy there and I realized I'm a nickel short so I ask if he's got some change... he does.

We kinda talk for a minute and I mention that I can't spend too much since I'm lookin' a getting a new computer. What follows is our conversation as best as I can remember...

Dude: You looked at the sweet deals that Dell has?
Me: No, man.
D: You should. They got some swet deals on Pentium IV laptops.

I'm now starting to feel as though I've fallen into a Dell commercial, dude.

M: I dno't want a Shittium IV with Extra Bullshit Technology. I want a G3.
D: G3? You mean P3, man!
M: No, I mean the PowerPC G3, the 700MHz one that's in the iBook.
D: iBook!?! You want a Mac? I thought Mac went outta business.
M: No, Mack has been one of the leading manufacturers of diesel trucks since the late 1970s... and Apple Computer is doing quite well, also.
D: Huh...?
M: Never mind
D: Didn't you know that Macs can't run games?
M: I've got an iMac G3/500 and it doesn't have any trouble with 'em.
D: But they're old games!
M: Warcraft III?
D: How'd you make that work?
M: Bought it and installed it.
D: But I thought Mac used a crappy version of Windows that can't run games, just paint programs.

The explosion of laughter that came from me leveled several city blocks.

I won't bore you with the remaining details, but he tried to convince me not to buy something I'd clearly made an informed decision about, using childish attacks (all the common stuff) and ignorant comments.

Is it possible to say "I use a Mac" without people personally insulting you for it?
Go the fuck ~

cocoamix

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2002, 20:21 »
You know, it's funny how the stereotypes on Macs are so complately false, for the most part, but the stereotypes about Winblows are mostly TRUE.
Use a Mac and be PROUD of it. Ignorance (in any any field) is sad, but all you can do is try to accurately and honestly  inform. If they don't listen, fuck it. They're hopeless.
Using Winblows is it's own worst punishment.

ravuya

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2002, 21:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Jimmy James:

D: iBook!?! You want a Mac? I thought Mac went outta business.
M: No, Mack has been one of the leading manufacturers of diesel trucks since the late 1970s... and Apple Computer is doing quite well, also.

Tell you what, I'm going to rate you 5 stars just for that line. Welcome to the fold.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2002, 22:05 »
Being a Mac user and staunch Mac advocate, I can't tell you how much I simpathize with this story. I once had a PC user try and tell me that his Pentium II was faster than a new quicksilver G4.

Ugh...

Anyway. 5 stars  :D
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2002, 03:08 »
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2002, 12:53 »
Muchas gracias! I try to take that approach to life in general. I'm a pessimist, but at least I know how to have fun with negativity! George Carlin rules! X()

Shit, the biggest problem I've seen is that the experience people my age have with Macs is from school, and these are always the piss poor mid-1990s Performas and LCs (there were some good ones, like the Quadra 840av, Power Mac 8100, but overall, many Macs of that era are a pox on the house of Apple). Said Macs are maintained by incompetent minions of drones. They're not even IT guys.

These things are miraculously running the original install of System 7.5 (hueh) on 4MB of RAM, and they're trying to use Word 6. All of them have ethernet cards, but for some reason, they use LocalTalk adapters... even on the odd G3 that manages to slip in.

The combination of underpowered hardware and bug-ridden system software and apps leaves the things in shambles. Combine this with people who are too stupid to even be allowed to use a computer. We had one teacher who kept a box of straight pins so that people could eject floppy disks manually using the eject hole... circumventing the OS's eject. Then these people complained when they'd crash, say that they hate floppies anyway, then bitch about the four new G4s because they don't have floppy drives.

The Mac labs are never maintained, and the ones that do work... only do because there's one teacher who's a dedicated Machead (if you're reading this, Mr. Hamlin at MUSH, big cheer to you =^) and on their own time maintains it.

Just to show you... I go over to a friend's room, and her roommate is there. I pull out my 3400 and the roommate looks at it, gets this look on her face like she saw a giant green turd, and says "why do you have one of those pieces of junk?"

I ignored her... and then watched as my friend struggles to get Sun's JDK to work on XP... then... almost as if God decided to play a practical joke... the roommate's shiny, new HP 'book takes a shit on itself. XP crashes four times in a row at startup, then she restarts and it hollers "MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM"

Boy, I feel bad for having this "piece of junk" Apple.

I'd love to hear other stories of Mac bashing by the ignorant. It's so funny to hear the same four things just said over and over like a broken record.

When will people just realise that the platform wars are becoming meaningless? We've now got a universal OS (UNIX). The difference boils down to the processor, the name on the outside of the case, and the way the system look on the screen. Underneath, it's all the same.

Like someone says in their sig... IF IT AIN'T UNIX, FUCK IT!

[ September 29, 2002: Message edited by: The Jimmy James ]

Go the fuck ~

Chooco

« Reply #6 on: 29 September 2002, 15:44 »
Mac also has Wolfenstein  :D

ravuya

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 29 September 2002, 23:32 »
True story: I was in a store using a G4 Cube with a 22" ACD (nice display), and some guy comes up and says to his friend, "My new Pentium II is faster than that because it's bigger."

I just kind of snickered, put the Terminal to fullscreen and started entering a few commands here and there to scare the hell out of this idiot.