Author Topic: Hey Windows XP User, click here  (Read 2543 times)

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Hey Windows XP User, click here
« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2002, 23:16 »
*current project is a self-publication that i hope to reprint via fantagraphics*

Ah, self publication!

Hehe, yes. You should have a chat with Dave Sim or Scott McLeod on that. They have some interesting thoughts  :D

I have a friend who wrote them e-mail on the subject and they responded with mixed results. One said Self-publication is a dead end road, the other said it was the only way to go.

As far as i know, Fantagraphics is interested in compleat work and will publish anything of quality. One of my teachers is Ted Stern, he does Fuzz and Pluck for Fantagraphics. I also head Sturm, the guy who did Golem's Mighty swing. He was an awsome teacher! He was all about self publishing, but after pitching his story for Fantagraphics, they picked him up overnight. Now the guy is nominated for an Eisner.

Go figure.

Whatever...

Comix is a hard road to travel, a dieing industry overrun with stupif superheroes and bad art. I hope I am one of the lucky few to one day participate in it  :D  or at least, one of those brightly shining gems that crop up every once in a while.

Oh ya, Jeff Smith has some interesting thoughts on Self Publication too if I recall corectly. And don't forget Will Eisner!

Shit... This is one hell of a digression. Ok ok... enugh off subject crap.

This is worse than when Void stated talking about his army days.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

misfitnumber57

• Kudos: 0
    • http://biprox.virtue.nu
« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2002, 23:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax:
*current project is a self-publication that i hope to reprint via fantagraphics*

Ah, self publication!

Hehe, yes. You should have a chat with Dave Sim or Scott McLeod on that. They have some interesting thoughts    :D  

I have a friend who wrote them e-mail on the subject and they responded with mixed results. One said Self-publication is a dead end road, the other said it was the only way to go.

As far as i know, Fantagraphics is interested in compleat work and will publish anything of quality. One of my teachers is Ted Stern, he does Fuzz and Pluck for Fantagraphics. I also head Sturm, the guy who did Golem's Mighty swing. He was an awsome teacher! He was all about self publishing, but after pitching his story for Fantagraphics, they picked him up overnight. Now the guy is nominated for an Eisner.

Go figure.

Whatever...

Comix is a hard road to travel, a dieing industry overrun with stupif superheroes and bad art. I hope I am one of the lucky few to one day participate in it    :D    or at least, one of those brightly shining gems that crop up every once in a while.

Oh ya, Jeff Smith has some interesting thoughts on Self Publication too if I recall corectly. And don't forget Will Eisner!

Shit... This is one hell of a digression. Ok ok... enugh off subject crap.

This is worse than when Void stated talking about his army days.

i responded to this in the topic i started over in the lounge, oki?    

let's leave this topic out for the windoze/alt.os user debate...

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: misfit#57 ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2002, 00:23 »
can i be the first to come back on topic?  
quote:
Originally posted by Windows XP User #5225982375:
Well, "Macman" I guess I really put the bug up your butt to get you so upset like that.  I went to your website and all I can say is how many brain cells did it take to make it?  Three?  Four?  
is that all you can say? can't you think of any other comments? you must take a long time to get together a whole opinion then!   :D    
quote:
I know it must be difficult, but you need to understand it is you, not I, who has been hopelessly brainwashed by the Mac community, and you are clearly suffering from a severe case of psychosis induced by surrounding yourself in this devious environment.
Ho ho ho! i like a good laugh in the afternoon!    
quote:
You clearly haven't used Windows XP at all, or you would see as I do that it is a superb operating system and there is no comparison between it and the overpriced rubbish that you and your ilk endorse.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! This seriously caused me to laugh out loud!!! ha ha ha!!1 oh ho ho!! aah...    
quote:
Owning a Mac is akin to owning Nike shoes; you pay for a name and enjoy looking down on "mere" PC users.
Now this i actually agree with, EXCEPT, are Apple responsible for forced underpaid child labour? Are Nike? THAT is what is important. On the other hand, MacMan has recently amended his 'PC Users' stance to include only Microsoft users, why? i'll leave you to work it out.
Use a bit of paper if you have trouble.

quote:
You are an idiot of impossible magnitude and therefore it is pointless for me to go on, as I doubt your meager brain will be able to assimilate what I have already stated.

Well, that's really convincing. I have got to the end of your rant and I am still waiting for the substance of what you have to say!

Why not post something with some information in it next time and give us all something to think about?
Good luck, maybe you could get a friend to help you.    

edit - WindowsXPuser5267546348576347856347856385643658, here's a little excercise for you: http://chris.carline.org/000112.html
oh yes, and
http://support.microsoft.com/def....q192486

on second thoughts, don't bother, that stuff'll be way over your head...

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #18 on: 26 May 2002, 05:14 »
I don't know what you are trying to point out with those links, Calum, but I compiled that code on my machine with VC++ and it did not crash windows, so I'm sorry to spoil your hardon like that.  I can, however, give you something to enter on your Linux box.  Why don't you type cat /dev/mem > /dev/mem?

After you do that, why not browse this web site with Konqueror?

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2002/tc20020516_7229.htm

And, while you're at it, have a small look at the bugs reported in Mozilla during the last 24 hours alone.

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: Windows XP User #5225982375 ]

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2002, 07:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Windows XP User #5225982375:
I don't know what you are trying to point out with those links, Calum, but I compiled that code on my machine with VC++ and it did not crash windows, so I'm sorry to spoil your hardon like that.  I can, however, give you something to enter on your Linux box.  Why don't you type cat /dev/mem > /dev/mem?

After you do that, why not browse this web site with Konqueror?

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2002/tc20020516_7229.htm

And, while you're at it, have a small look at the bugs reported in Mozilla during the last 24 hours alone.

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: Windows XP User #5225982375 ]

128 bugs in one day? Damn, I knew there were problems with Mozilla(which is a good reason why I wont ditch IE). That just verifies my faith in IE. ;P

(EDIT)That goes to show that there are alot of problems with Open Source software(probably more problems than Microsoft software)..the problems just aren't turned into worldwide news because Open Source software isn't popular enough to justify making a big deal out of the problems(EDIT)

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #20 on: 26 May 2002, 08:15 »
i hate to burst your inane pattern of thought Zombie, but i'm sure that MS finds hundreds of bugs in their products everyday. If it was open-source they would find even more and they would get fixed a hell of a lot faster than waiting for MS to put out another bugfix OS.

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: Master of Reality ]

Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Heru

« Reply #21 on: 26 May 2002, 08:46 »
Almost all of those Mozilla bugs will get fixed very quickly.

MS gets somewhere on the order of 200 bugs submitted everyday for IE, and they don't fix most of them.  And when the release a patch or new version they casue more problems than they fix.  There was a big one recently where a patch to fix privacy problem made it so that any website can read any IE cookie, effectively eliminating internet privacy in IE.  Please don't make 128 bugs seem like a huge number, when IE gets more in the same time period.  Any large program(like a web browser) has bugs that need to be worked out.

cat /dev/mem > /dev/mem
If my slightly rusty knowledge of the cat command is right wouldn't that copy /dev/mem to /dev/mem?
And the /dev section usually resets on every reboot.  So Linux would fix any problems casued by that next reboot; while Windows won't fix device problems unless you reinstall the device drivers.

I'd still like to know if you've ever actually used Linux.  And if so for how long before you gave up.

EDIT: and that code that was linked to puts XP in an endless loop.  It can take up to an hour to crash the syatem.

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: Heru ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #22 on: 26 May 2002, 19:11 »
haw haw haw! "hardon"! jeesus!!! what are you on, XP dork?

well i didn't write that code, so fuck it, and i'll never be testing it out on XP either.

Also, as mentioned above, there is no hope for you if you think thst a product is duff because it admits it has bugs. Everything starts off full of bugs. If a program or system actively encourages people to report and fix the bugs then the software concerned gets very good, very quickly. If not... well we've all seen the results.

That's why UNI/BSD and so on were so stable to start with. They had a bugs section in the manuals, so that the people reading the manual could fix the bugs and share their work, and also so that AT&T would fix half of the bugs themselves before they brought out a new version so they wouldn't have to have such an embarrassingly large bugs section!

It's a system that works, so why fuck with it?
Go back to your toy operating system, it suits you.....
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

slave

« Reply #23 on: 26 May 2002, 23:33 »
quote:
I'd still like to know if you've ever actually used Linux. And if so for how long before you gave up.

I'm using Linux right now as I type this.  What, you think I'd actually dog something I've never used?  I'm testing websites with Konqueror and Mozilla to see which ones they fail miserably on; it's quite fun.  I also did a science fair project on Linux where I used it solely for over a year... how else would I know it sucked?  If I were a competent programmer or could talk to some I could make Linux 10x better than Windows but those geeks don't listen or are too afraid of making it usable by normal people; they want it that way so they can feel better about themselves that they use an operating system that requires the reading of 27 books just to figure it out.  The Linux geeks also cry out whenever anyone mentions standardizing Linux as if they are facists or something.. that kind of bullshit is why Linux will fail.  "Choice" is good but the fools let it get in the way of the greater good that could be achieved.

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #24 on: 26 May 2002, 23:42 »
I started using YDL from an almost purely MacOS background. I learned Linux just messing with it, no  documentation aside from online help.

Wasn't THAT hard, maybe Windoze does make you dumb  

Ctrl Alt Del 123

« Reply #25 on: 27 May 2002, 00:00 »
Someone discovers an IE bug, every news company posts an article about it, MS puts a patch for it for free download.

Someone discovers a bug in an open source browser, NO ONE posts ANY info about it, a fellow user fixes it and it's spread around.

That's just it. MS gets more publicity than any other company I know of. I've been told that the Linux kernel is updated almost everyday, not sure if it's true, but that would mean that Linux is being fixed/made better more so than Windows is.

Just a thought, can't put a lot of water behind it becuase I don't know myself how often the Linux kernel is updated.

Ctrl Alt Del 123

« Reply #26 on: 27 May 2002, 00:03 »
Also, Macman, ihateapple.com is back up.

misfitnumber57

• http://biprox.virtue.nu
« Reply #27 on: 27 May 2002, 00:08 »
http://forum.fuckmicrosoft.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000102

well, now, that'd explain the "ihateapple.com i back" thread, now wouldn't it.....

slave

« Reply #28 on: 27 May 2002, 00:10 »
quote:
...aside from online help.

Yes, which I'm sure involved reading many a maddening "HOW-TO" page, and it just serves to prove how counter-intuitive the Linux system actually is.  It is a hodgepodge of often redundant, broken, and badly-interworking applications and tools that is a nightmare to navigate.  Not only that, but many of them are quite useless.  How can you say Windows XP is bloated in any way when at the same time you see no problem with Red Hat Linux containing an applet that puts a cartoon fish on your desktop, whose purpose, according to the "about" section is "to waste system resources?"

Some people may like how Linux works, but I'd prefer not to develop carpal tunnel syndrome typing a hundred pages of text on a terminal just to set up a modem. (This isn't usually the case with a modern distriubtion but it has been for me, since Linux didn't particularly like my brand of modem)

Arrgh, see what I mean by "badly interworking?"    I can't even copy and paste this writing from StarOffice to Konqueror without first copying it to XEdit!  And the font rendering seems to differ with every application!

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #29 on: 27 May 2002, 00:39 »
Finally you make some valid complaints. I would write more, but I'm kind of buisy today.

None the less...

Linux has a long way to go before it becomes truely user friendly. None the less, I think for what it has achived in so little time, it truely is astounding. In the time line of things, linux and it's desktop environment KDE and GNOME, are on the cusp of becomeing on par, and even exceeding all of the big GUI's.

Remember, these things have only been around for a few years, weras MacOS and Windows have had 20 and 10 years respectively. Thus, I think the linux model is a good one, and will soon prove better than the commercial alternatives.