Author Topic: MS Closing arguments  (Read 702 times)

pkd_lives

• Kudos: 0
MS Closing arguments
« on: 20 June 2002, 08:45 »
So I brought this link from the front page. And as no-one seems to have mentioned this yet I thought I would post it.

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,53351,00.html

They judge appears to want a compromise, in order to end this case once and for all. However M$ have stated in closing arguments that there is no room for  manouver. Will this hurt M$? I think it will. By being stubbon they are likely to alienate the legal decision making process, and by asking both sides to be prepared to compromise she rules out the chances of appeal, by giving M$ a clear chance to offer alternatives to the original settlement.

Whilst we all would want quite draconian measures brought against M$, I think we have to be realistic and hope that either the interface code is opened up or M$ is prevented from bundling it's own software exclusively.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
MS Closing arguments
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2002, 13:50 »
quote:
The states said the sharing of key Windows computer code was even more important than demands for a version of Windows with removable features that could be replaced by competitors.
Good! maybe something will come of this yet! Microsoft may not be able to drag this out much longer... on the other hand:
quote:
"I think it's a gamble that the judge may not mean what she said and is going to go with what they want," said Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal.
I get this feeling too. Money talks...  
quote:
Microsoft has argued that the restrictions being sought by the states would benefit rivals like AOL Time Warner and Sun Microsystems, and would deprive consumers of a reliable platform for software.
yeah, right. The sad thing is, the majority of pant-wetting punters will believe this gobbledygook, because Microsoft tells them to.

quote:

Under the Justice Department settlement, Microsoft would be required to let computer makers hide desktop icons for some features of its Windows operating system to allow the promotion of competing software by computer makers.
and this is a joke. This will be touted as the "compromise" which is no compromise at all. As far as i'm concerned, if this is all that happens, it will mean Microsoft wins the case. I hope the states hold out for the code to be opened, i really do. I want to see hell breaking loose.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

AlexMax

• Kudos: 0
MS Closing arguments
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2002, 21:33 »
The only way that microsoft would be able to weasel out of the code coing GPL is if they created a NEW operating system, made it incompatable with Windows, and set off a self destruct mechanisem in XP (I'm sure they have on amidst all the spyware) that tells the user to upgrade or else their computer will be rendered useless...

I actually had a nightmare where this happened.  Kinda like the next hi-tech warfare if you ask me...
Using a Microsoft product and hating every moment of it is the first step to liberation.

Windows XP User?
Windows XP LOSER! Go fuck yourself!

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
MS Closing arguments
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2002, 21:36 »
They already do this with every new release of their own Winblows and associated software.  NT4 domains?  Active Directory in Win2k?  And NT4 is off their support list.  Geez!!  Every release of Office causes the previous version to be obsolete..

[ June 21, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

sporkme

• Kudos: 149
    • http://sporkme.net/
MS Closing arguments
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2002, 13:13 »
everything is off of thier support list

i am starting to think that there is no such thing as supported products.
just that you do not take an interest in politics does not mean that politics will not take an interest in you.  -pericles 430 b.c.