Author Topic: My loyalty falters...  (Read 3124 times)

MacUser3of5

• Kudos: 0
    • http://notquiteyet.com
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #45 on: 4 November 2002, 21:25 »
quote:
Saying the MAc is elegant is BS. You can get PC cases that look just as good as or look even better than a Mac's case. PC people tend to be more crafty than MAccies too. If we don't like the way our case looks we simply pull out the dremel and a few other tools and we mod our cases. I think it is a good thing that all PC's don't look alike and I think it would suck if every household had a Mac because there would be no variety in computer looks other than the little variety that Apple gives you.  

Hmm, what about, say, someone taking the paint off their TiBook? Like, um, me?    There, customized! No dremel needed!

Also, I think it would suck if every household had Windows becasue there would be no variety in looks other than the little variety that MS gives you.  ;)
"Let them call me a rebel and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whore of my soul..." - Thomas Paine

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #46 on: 4 November 2002, 22:08 »
zombie90210 is silent. just like he always is as soon as the polylogue gets interesting...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

cocoamix

My loyalty falters...
« Reply #47 on: 4 November 2002, 22:08 »
Hey Zombie, for one, it's spelled "soldered."

Second, every PowerMac since the beige box in 1997 can take a ZIF processor upgrade.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #48 on: 4 November 2002, 22:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:
You can't just put a new CPU into it because the CPU happens to be soddered on the motherboard(like some old 386's and 486's used to be).
Yes, i love that, what tools do you use for your sodderring, zombie?  :D  
quote:
I guess you just throw your existing machine in the trash or give it to a bum
aha! i wondered why i see so many bums on the streets around here all computing on their macintoshes! now i know, thanks for enlightening me, zombie!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #49 on: 5 November 2002, 01:34 »
(edited- merged both posts into one post. go ahead and delete this post mods.

[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

Zombie9920

My loyalty falters...
« Reply #50 on: 5 November 2002, 01:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by cocoamix:
Hey Zombie, for one, it's spelled "soldered."

Second, every PowerMac since the beige box in 1997 can take a ZIF processor upgrade.

Then why have we had a few G4 Macs come into the shop that had thier CPU soldered on the board(not socketed)?

quote:
Originally posted by Calum & his insidious little spies:
zombie90210 is silent. just like he always is as soon as the polylogue gets interesting...

Actually I got silent because I had to go to work(some of us do work you know).    ;)  

quote:
Yes, i love that, what tools do you use for your sodderring, zombie?

Bleh, I told you that I get in a hurry when I type and I don't proof-read before I post. Oh well, to be a smartass I'll just answer by saying that you would use a "soddering" iron and "sodder". So I forgot an L in the word, sue me.

[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

Tbar

My loyalty falters...
« Reply #51 on: 5 November 2002, 01:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by Panos:

Eventhough I agree about OS X's Aqua GUI, which is the best around, I don't agree with your remarks about Linux window managers. KDE and GNOME look and behave much better than they did in earlier versions! All you have to do is have a look at RedHat 8.0's KDE and GNOME window managers, that are now more functional than ever (and better looking may I add).

Don't get me wrong, I think they are much much better than the past, as with everything.  But they are still not quite there.  As far as the integration goes, as I had mentioned in a previous post, being able to run the OS from the GUI only. Software installation is still a pain for the average non-linux user.  When a Windows user or Mac User can hop over to a Linux Machine, install a program, etc.  Then I think you will have one hell of a platform.  Until then, if you are adamant about the stability of a Unix/Linux OS, again, OS X is the one.

P.S. Someone else stated something about not liking Monopolies.  I'm not FORCED to use Windows, MAC, or LINUX, so...I don't really see any of them as a monopoly.  Mono...means One.

There have always been and always will be choices, at least for your "personal" computer.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #52 on: 5 November 2002, 02:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tbar:
P.S. Someone else stated something about not liking Monopolies.  I'm not FORCED to use Windows, MAC, or LINUX, so...I don't really see any of them as a monopoly.  Mono...means One.

There have always been and always will be choices, at least for your "personal" computer.

Monopoly, Monopolitai, One set of rulers, or rather one government. That is M$ makes the rules in the computer industry as a whole. They are a monopoly, and an unfair one at that.

and that freedom won't be there if they get their way. *cough* Paladium *cough* TCPA *cough* DRM *cough*
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Zombie9920

My loyalty falters...
« Reply #53 on: 5 November 2002, 02:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax v6.9 /Dave:

Monopoly, Monopolitai, One set of rulers, or rather one government. That is M$ makes the rules in the computer industry as a whole. They are a monopoly, and an unfair one at that.

and that freedom won't be there if they get their way. *cough* Paladium *cough* TCPA *cough* DRM *cough*

If it comes down to MS ruling the computer industry and you want freedom....simply don't use a computer and you will be free.  ;)

psyjax

• VIP
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #54 on: 5 November 2002, 03:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:
If it comes down to MS ruling the computer industry and you want freedom....simply don't use a computer and you will be free.   ;)  

As flippant as your remark maybe, we are fast aproaching a time when computer litteracy will be a rulling factor in our lives such is reading and writting. It will pervade every aspect of culture.

We see the evidence around us and we are arguable even in those times. Computers are fast becomminga "need" for modern life.

Pantso

• http://www.support-freesoftware.org
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #55 on: 5 November 2002, 05:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tbar:

Don't get me wrong, I think they are much much better than the past, as with everything.  But they are still not quite there.  As far as the integration goes, as I had mentioned in a previous post, being able to run the OS from the GUI only. Software installation is still a pain for the average non-linux user.  When a Windows user or Mac User can hop over to a Linux Machine, install a program, etc.  Then I think you will have one hell of a platform.  Until then, if you are adamant about the stability of a Unix/Linux OS, again, OS X is the one.

I definitely agree to that.  

ravuya

• VIP
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #56 on: 5 November 2002, 06:34 »
Well, since I made my initial post I went out and tried to rediscover why it is why I use a Mac. Guess why? It isn't the software, it isn't the hardware, it isn't even the company. It's the community involved with it.

We have this whole kind of us-against-the-world thing going on that's really great. Mac users are quirky, offbeat, and oftentimes some of the most technically proficient and funny people I have ever met.

So, if for no other reason than the community that churns out hacks, games and great new inventions, I'm not going to leave the Mac, because I remember what happened the last time I did... The Registry. (shudders)

Re: Macs for idiots, UNIX for geeks, what is Windows for?
Windows is for retards.

The Czar

My loyalty falters...
« Reply #57 on: 5 November 2002, 06:41 »
I was raised on x86 machines. I have years of experience with them and windows and linux. Know what? I switched to the Mac. Before the switch ads, before the massive marketing campaign, before OS X. I'd rather use my PM 7100/80 over any of my x86 boxes. After windows shitting it's pants every 6 weeks and the incomprehensible mess of linux, the Mac is the only real option for me. The Mac works. Period.
If Windows XP is really superior, then why does this site exist?

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #58 on: 5 November 2002, 07:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ravuya:
Well, since I made my initial post I went out and tried to rediscover why it is why I use a Mac. Guess why? It isn't the software, it isn't the hardware, it isn't even the company. It's the community involved with it.

We have this whole kind of us-against-the-world thing going on that's really great. Mac users are quirky, offbeat, and oftentimes some of the most technically proficient and funny people I have ever met.

So, if for no other reason than the community that churns out hacks, games and great new inventions, I'm not going to leave the Mac, because I remember what happened the last time I did... The Registry. (shudders)

Amen to that

psyjax

• VIP
My loyalty falters...
« Reply #59 on: 5 November 2002, 21:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by Macman / Bob:

Amen to that

Here, Here!