Author Topic: I finally got my iBook!  (Read 812 times)

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
I finally got my iBook!
« on: 1 October 2002, 03:18 »
Well, Apple fans this is my first ever post from my new iBook and OSX. At first, I was a bit confused but I quickly found my way around the menus and now I can say that I'm enjoying every second of it. My impressions, up to now, are really positive except for a few problems with my native language (Greek), which I'm steadily overcoming    . I'll keep you posted!

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
I finally got my iBook!
« Reply #1 on: 1 October 2002, 03:33 »
/me groans

I won't be getting a mac for another few months!

psyjax

• VIP
I finally got my iBook!
« Reply #2 on: 1 October 2002, 04:16 »
So Panos, what are the specs?

RAM, speed, name  :D
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Pantso

I finally got my iBook!
« Reply #3 on: 1 October 2002, 04:42 »
Sorry for taking so long to reply but I'm still trying to set up some things correctly. Unfortunately I'm back to 9.2 because of language compatibility problems. Anyhow, I'm expecting the new International version of OSX 10.2 which will have a support for Greek as well (Apple seems to have forgotten about us grrr).

Well, the iBooks specs are

-PowerPC Processor G3@600 MHz
-512K level 2 cache
-20 GBs Hard disk drive
-ATI Radeon Mobility Graphics card 16MBs of SDRAM
-12.1" TFT active matrix XGA display. Max. resolution 1024x768 @24bits
-2 12Mbps USB ports
-400 Mbps Firewire port
-16 bit soundcard
-CD-ROM drive etc

[ October 01, 2002: Message edited by: Panos ]

psyjax

• VIP
I finally got my iBook!
« Reply #4 on: 1 October 2002, 04:52 »
Damn, I thought it came with Greek support built in!

But at least they are hooking you up with Greek System software.

None the less, don't give up on OSX just yet, I mean, I'm assuming you can read english well. Maybe you could use that for a bit untill the greek stuff arives.

I never thought how frustrating that could be, I actually log in as root and delte most of the Language set's to clear up space   :D  

But yea, I can see how it would be a hastle.

Well, stick with it, I'm sure it will work out! You got a great little machine, and you may need a bit of time to warm up to it.

[ September 30, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

psyjax

• VIP
I finally got my iBook!
« Reply #5 on: 1 October 2002, 05:04 »
Panos,

I was upset that you had such a bad tome with OSX. I went in search of greek localization and I stumbeld across this:

"Rainbow Computer which is the equivalent of Apple in Greece, has developed its own completely localized Mac OS X with support of Greek input on Carbon/Cocoa applications, but they only allow those who can prove that they have purchased their Mac in Greece to buy it for 144Euro. It would be nice if Apple US could include at least full (Carbon/Cocoa) Greek input support and why not localization to Mac OS X on the standard version, there are thousands of Mac users around the world that need to use Greek language and there is currently no way to do that if they don't buy their Mac at a higher price on www.applestore.gr. All this could be easier if Apple could use the work that Rainbow Computer team has done."

But then, you may have known this already  :(

Whatevr.

Pantso

I finally got my iBook!
« Reply #6 on: 1 October 2002, 05:13 »
Yes indeed. The iBook I bought came with the Greek Update CDROM for OSX which I installed. Everything went great until I tried to open my documents created in M$ Office and edited in OpenOffice, with AppleWorks. Total failure there. I guess I'll try OSX with OpenOffice and see what happens    . The 9.2 interface really sucks when compared to OSX, which must have the greatest GUI I've ever seen!

psyjax

• VIP
I finally got my iBook!
« Reply #7 on: 1 October 2002, 05:23 »
Ya, but recent'ly I have seen a darker side. 128MB of RAM, and OSX hogs it up. Anything above that number, and it run's great. Very strange behavior if you ask me.

Pantso

I finally got my iBook!
« Reply #8 on: 1 October 2002, 06:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax:
Ya, but recent'ly I have seen a darker side. 128MB of RAM, and OSX hogs it up. Anything above that number, and it run's great. Very strange behavior if you ask me.

I seem to have a bit of a problem with this amount of RAM as well with OSX. It's not  that it runs slowly but I just have the feeling that more RAM would give it that extra boost :)

I did a clean install of OSX, without using the Recovery CD-ROMs which come with OS 9.2 alongside OSX. I also used the Greek Update CD which came with the iBook and everything works great    !

Now I just have to get used to my new interface, but before I do that I think that I'm gonna get some sleep cause I can barely type!

Thanks for the help psyjax, your advice and your older posts that helped me buy a Mac (finally)! At this point I can proudly say that I'm totally M$ free since I run Linux on my desktop computer and OSX on my laptop! And that feels really good  :D  !

Thanks again and I'll keep you guys posted!

psyjax

• VIP
I finally got my iBook!
« Reply #9 on: 1 October 2002, 08:53 »
Well glad to here it's all working out!

More RAM is the key to OSX. The more the marrier. Don't forget the everhelpfull Mac sites:

resexcellence.com

applefritter.com

lowendmac.com

Glad to be of service! Have fun  :D

Pantso

I finally got my iBook!
« Reply #10 on: 1 October 2002, 15:12 »
Great links psyjax, thanks! Do you know how I can use the console from OSX cause I really miss it!

psyjax

• VIP
I finally got my iBook!
« Reply #11 on: 1 October 2002, 20:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by Panos:
Great links psyjax, thanks! Do you know how I can use the console from OSX cause I really miss it!

Yea deffinetly.

Go into Applications->Utillities and get the Terminal application.

You can drag it into the Dock for convinient access. You can open as many instances of it you want by selecting new terminal in the file menu also Apple+New.

You won't be able to su untill you set up a root password. This can be done thrugh NetInfoManager in the Applications->Utillities folder.

Or, if you know the UNIX commands for this, thrugh the Terminal itself.

Finnaly... At login, if you type in ">console" as your user name you will boot straight into Darwin mode. Full on Text.

http://infocenter.cramsession.com/techlibrary/gethtml.asp?ID=925

There is a good article, about UNIXing in OSX

[ October 01, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]