Author Topic: GeForce 4 Ti  (Read 940 times)

ahri

• Kudos: 0
GeForce 4 Ti
« on: 28 October 2002, 20:29 »
I bought a new Power Mac with the GeForce 4 Ti card. Does anyone know if the card will work in a PC or is the one i have Mac only?

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
GeForce 4 Ti
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2002, 21:06 »
Mac only.

GeForce and ATI cards usually have a ROM chip specific to the platform they are intended to run on. There are ways of hacking this mesure, but I don't know how and it suerly requires much technical ability.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
GeForce 4 Ti
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2002, 21:13 »
Like psyjax said you would have to re-flash the cards bios. I have seen some info online about doing this to put a PC card in a mac but not the other way around.

But anyway, If it goes wrong you are *really* screwed so I wouldnt advise it anyway. If you dont mind potentially losing your Geforce then by all means try it, but i wouldnt do it.

[ October 28, 2002: Message edited by: Tux ]

Contains scenes of mild peril.

cocoamix

GeForce 4 Ti
« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2002, 01:59 »
It's worth a lot more as a Mac Ge Force card than as a PC one, so don't devalue it by flashing the ROM.
Sell is as it is and buy a real PC version if you need one.

[ October 28, 2002: Message edited by: cocoamix ]

ahri

GeForce 4 Ti
« Reply #4 on: 29 October 2002, 21:35 »
thanks a lot for the info

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
GeForce 4 Ti
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2002, 08:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by ahri:
I bought a new Power Mac with the GeForce 4 Ti card. Does anyone know if the card will work in a PC or is the one i have Mac only?

So!  Bought an expensive Mac only to figure out that PC's are better, and now you want to harvest parts from it in a desperate attempt to reclaim your money?  That can be the only reason you would ask this question.  Why not just use the vid card with the Mac?

psyjax

• VIP
GeForce 4 Ti
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2002, 08:58 »
damn, XP and I thought you were turning over a new leaf, yet the rhetoric seems to be creeping back in... granted, not quite a troll post, but vaild antaginism none-the less.

What if this person, like many, uses both platforms and was wondering if he could swap parts. Say, some PC only game would run better on a more powerfull VidCard.

slave

GeForce 4 Ti
« Reply #7 on: 30 October 2002, 21:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax v6.9 /Dave:
damn, XP and I thought you were turning over a new leaf, yet the rhetoric seems to be creeping back in... granted, not quite a troll post, but vaild antaginism none-the less.

What if this person, like many, uses both platforms and was wondering if he could swap parts. Say, some PC only game would run better on a more powerfull VidCard.

Why not just run games on his Mac?  Doesn't warcraft 3 work on OS X, and won't Doom 3?  Besides I doubt he has some great PC sitting there and then he suddenly went and bought a Power Mac with a Gf4 only to swap the Mac's vid card with the PC's.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
GeForce 4 Ti
« Reply #8 on: 30 October 2002, 21:38 »
Keep the old rom, and burn a PC EPROM, So when you need touse it in a mac again just put in the Mac ROM.

ahri

GeForce 4 Ti
« Reply #9 on: 30 October 2002, 18:09 »
I can't afford to buy every piece of software on the market. A lot of people have software i can use but it's PC only. So, if i want to play diablo II, quake III, or unreal tournament, i need a PC until i can find Mac versions.

Right now i am playing war craft III on my mac.

psyjax

• VIP
GeForce 4 Ti
« Reply #10 on: 30 October 2002, 23:10 »
Diablo II is a hybrid. Pop it in your Mac, and enjoy the magic

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
GeForce 4 Ti
« Reply #11 on: 1 November 2002, 21:05 »
quote:
Why not just run games on his Mac? Doesn't warcraft 3 work on OS X, and won't Doom 3? Besides I doubt he has some great PC sitting there and then he suddenly went and bought a Power Mac with a Gf4 only to swap the Mac's vid card with the PC's.

HAHA what a moron. Are you even serious anymore or do you get some perverse pleasure out of being comically wrong all the time?

slave

GeForce 4 Ti
« Reply #12 on: 1 November 2002, 21:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by Macman / Bob:

HAHA what a moron. Are you even serious anymore or do you get some perverse pleasure out of being comically wrong all the time?

What the hell are you talking about?  What did I say that was wrong?  Doom III will run on Mac OS when it comes out, unless I'm mistaken.  Besides, I was pointing out that he should use his Mac for playing games instead of his old PC.  Why would you, a Mac fanatic, have a problem with that?

(edit) PS your sig is retarded, first of all it's huge and it's animated.  Secondly, it's not even funny.  You just took Bill Gates's head and put it on a Kenny body.  There's nothing funny about that.  And there is no Macintosh revolution, nor will there ever be.

[ November 01, 2002: Message edited by: Windows XP User #5225982375 ]

ahri

GeForce 4 Ti
« Reply #13 on: 5 November 2002, 03:24 »
The copy of Diablo II my friend has only works on PC, but the expansion is hybrid. However, i need a Mac version of the original to install the expansion  :(