Author Topic: Only the Best OS in the World, Aside from Linux  (Read 790 times)

AppleRules

• Kudos: 0
Only the Best OS in the World, Aside from Linux
« on: 20 March 2004, 01:23 »
Although I do not have a Mac (unfortunately) their OS is so fuckin' awesome. It's intuitive, intelligent, and way ahead of it's time; and it makes Windows (I have Windows XP Home Edition, not that it makes any difference from, say, "Professional" Edition; shit, Windows 2000 was better than this) look pitiful, which is not very hard.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2004, 01:29 »
The OS on its own can't do it all. Remember, OPENSTEP and Rhapsody both ran on other platforms... that didn't make Sun workstations into NeXT Cubes, or generic Intel boxes into Power Macs.

Macintosh is the unique combination of OS and hardware, not just the OS.

Mac OS X on PC would just be "OPENSTEP 5/Mach for Intel x86", just like there was "OPENSTEP 4.2/Mach for Intel x86"
Go the fuck ~

Paladin9

• VIP
  • Kudos: 263
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2004, 05:32 »
Jimmyjames, you seem to know your stuff about Next computers.  The Next's I have used I think had 68020 or 68030 CPU's in them.  I guess their archetecture is similar to the mac since the Next company was run my Steve Jobs.  Am I right?  Also, I did not know that there is an x86 version of nextstep or openstep.  Does it run on any normal pc?  One more thing, what the hell is the difference between openstep and nextstep OS's?

To create a new standard, it takes something that's not just a little bit different; it takes something that's really new and really captures people's imagination

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2004, 13:09 »
quote:
Jimmyjames, you seem to know your stuff about Next computers. The Next's I have used I think had 68020 or 68030 CPU's in them.

68030 and 68040 were what they used on Black hardware.

quote:
I guess their archetecture is similar to the mac

Similar, but not by much. They used Moto 68K processors.

quote:
since the Next company was run my Steve Jobs. Am I right? Also, I did not know that there is an x86 version of nextstep or openstep.

NeXTSTEP did have an x86 version, NeXTSTEP 486. OPENSTEP was available for Black hardware, Intel, and NT. Yes... you could install OPENSTEP on NT.

quote:
Does it run on any normal pc?

Yes, but hardware support is kinda weak. Rhapsody had better drivers.

quote:
One more thing, what the hell is the difference between openstep and nextstep OS's?

Honestly, not much. OPENSTEP is what the OS was called after NeXT made their APIs a "standard". OPENSTEP was a new version of NeXTSTEP. OpenStep was the specification that OPENSTEP followed. GNUstep is an OSS implementation of OpenStep. Mac OS X is a reworking of OPENSTEP.

Follow?

OpenStep was a specification for Objective-C based APIs that were based on NeXTSTEP's AppKit API. They really just changed AppKit's name to YellowBox.
Go the fuck ~

Paladin9

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2004, 00:37 »
When I used OSX for the very first time, the first thing I said was "hey, its that little spinning wheel from nextstep!"  My dad used next computers in is company for many many years and he said those things were rock solid stable, more than OSX.  He said they NEVER crash, however I myself have seen OSX crash a couple of times.

To create a new standard, it takes something that's not just a little bit different; it takes something that's really new and really captures people's imagination

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2004, 01:01 »
yes. NeXTSTEP is VERY stable. I don't know what Apple did to it. It's still damn good, but not like it was.
Go the fuck ~

Paladin9

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2004, 11:09 »
I wish OSX had the ability to go back to the old mac os look, or even the openstep look, just like how XP can go to the "classic look"

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2004, 11:17 »
Except that breaks the UI consistency rule.  the most important of them all.

It would only really work if you applied it unilatterally across ALL apps.

classic MacOS apps look like classic MacOS apps.

NeXT apps will compile using Cocoa and have the Aqua look to them.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!