Author Topic: switch suggestions  (Read 562 times)

cdhgold

• Kudos: 0
switch suggestions
« on: 21 April 2003, 20:25 »
I have never used a Mac but after reading more about it in these forums and being pissed off at microshit I would like to give OSX a try. i do not have funds available to buy new mac. Can anyone suggest another cheaper way to try OSX other than buying new system.

Chris

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
switch suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2003, 20:56 »
quote:
i do not have funds available to buy new mac

Get a used one on eBay or click here.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
switch suggestions
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2003, 21:01 »
quote:
Get a used one on eBay or click here.

well. "here" is not osX, so i do not see how it would do any good. ebay is a good bet though. i got a good deal on an ibook last november on ebay.
huhm.. i am now trying to get rid of that very iBook.....(i do not use it as much as i would like)

cdhgold

switch suggestions
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2003, 21:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by ecsyle:

well. "here" is not osX, so i do not see how it would do any good. ebay is a good bet though. i got a good deal on an ibook last november on ebay.
huhm.. i am now trying to get rid of that very iBook.....(i do not use it as much as i would like)

Since I know nothing about macs what is the minimum config I need to look for to run OSX well?

xyle_one

• VIP
switch suggestions
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2003, 21:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by cdhgold:

Since I know nothing about macs what is the minimum config I need to look for to run OSX well?

From Apples website-
Apples System Requirements

quote:

1.  Confirm that your hardware can run Mac OS X Version 10.2 Jaguar
Mac OS X Version 10.2 requires a Power Mac G3, G4, G4 Cube; iMac; PowerBook G3, G4; iBook; or eMac computer; at least 128MB of physical RAM and a built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card. Mac OS X does not support the original PowerBook G3 or processor upgrade cards. Verify your hardware is supported from the list below.

2.  Verify you have enough hard drive space.
While the amount of disk space required depends on your computer and the way you are installing Mac OS X, you are recommended to have at least 3.0 GB of available space on your hard drive.

i would suggest more memory, because more is always better. i ran jaguar on an old g3 iBook (300mhz) with 196 mb ram, and it ran fine. not super great, but there were no real complaints.

check out http://www.lowendmac.com as well

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
switch suggestions
« Reply #5 on: 21 April 2003, 21:26 »
I agree with ecsyle. The more RAM you add, the better! In fact, I don't believe that any other Mac owner would tell you otherwise.   ;)   Other than that, try ebay or lowendmac.com, by following the links ecsyle and LinuxUser provided and I'm sure you'll get a good deal.   ;)

slave

switch suggestions
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2003, 21:35 »
quote:
well. "here" is not osX, so i do not see how it would do any good.  

I know, but Linux is the "poor man's OS" so I thought he would be interested.

xyle_one

• VIP
switch suggestions
« Reply #7 on: 21 April 2003, 21:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Linux User #5225982375:

I know, but Linux is the "poor man's OS" so I thought he would be interested.

i didn't mean to come off as an asshole, and after rereading my post, that is what i sounded like...
i don't know about linux being the "poor man's OS". Redhat is a very good os. It is just not osX. its hard to explain jaguar. it just feels so steady. i guess its aqua that feels steady. but it rocks, and its worth the money. it just sucks you have to pay for it.

cdhgold

switch suggestions
« Reply #8 on: 21 April 2003, 21:46 »
quote:

i didn't mean to come off as an asshole, and after rereading my post, that is what i sounded like...
i don't know about linux being the "poor man's OS". Redhat is a very good os. It is just not osX. its hard to explain jaguar. it just feels so steady. i guess its aqua that feels steady. but it rocks, and its worth the money. it just sucks you have to pay for it.

Thanks for everyone's help just FYI I currently have 2 system at running redhat 8.2 on one and 9.0 on the other the fact that OSX has unix underlayer is one of main things that interested me thanks again for the suggestions and info.

Chris

slave

switch suggestions
« Reply #9 on: 21 April 2003, 22:02 »
quote:

Well I payed 80 dollars for Red Hat 7, so that isn't really it.  I know Linux isn't OS X.  There are some very good things in OS X, like quartz extreme, and I can admit it.  I just don't think OS X is *good enough* to justify it being non-Free.  Actually nothing is "that good," so let me rephrase that:  OS X is so good that I wish it were Free software.  Not so I can get it to run on my ch34p PC necessarily, but because if the graphics layer in OS X were open source it could be implemented on Linux and then it would be trivial to port OS X apps to Linux.  OS X runs all X11/Linux apps, and it would be cool if it worked the other way around.  If apple is worried about M$ taking their software or something, they could put it under the GPL, and then only free OSes could use it.  I guess nobody would use OS X if you could run Aqua on Linux though   :(

xyle_one

• VIP
switch suggestions
« Reply #10 on: 21 April 2003, 22:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by Linux User #5225982375:

Well I payed 80 dollars for Red Hat 7, so that isn't really it.  I know Linux isn't OS X.  There are some very good things in OS X, like quartz extreme, and I can admit it.  I just don't think OS X is *good enough* to justify it being non-Free.  Actually nothing is "that good," so let me rephrase that:  OS X is so good that I wish it were Free software.  Not so I can get it to run on my ch34p PC necessarily, but because if the graphics layer in OS X were open source it could be implemented on Linux and then it would be trivial to port OS X apps to Linux.  OS X runs all X11/Linux apps, and it would be cool if it worked the other way around.  If apple is worried about M$ taking their software or something, they could put it under the GPL, and then only free OSes could use it.  I guess nobody would use OS X if you could run Aqua on Linux though    :(  

i would like to see aqua opened up. maybe someday  :confused:

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
switch suggestions
« Reply #11 on: 21 April 2003, 22:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by cdhgold:
I have never used a Mac but after reading more about it in these forums and being pissed off at microshit I would like to give OSX a try. i do not have funds available to buy new mac. Can anyone suggest another cheaper way to try OSX other than buying new system.

Chris

My girlfriend spent 600 dollars on a used dual 500Mhz power Mac g4 tower. This is my fav. Apple machine, till this day it screems with speed and does everything you would need to do with a computer. If you go for a Mac I would suggest getting a similar tower. Even the 400Mhz models are excellent at running OSX, as long as you have plenty of RAM (OSX hogs it).

Trust me, once you run that baby for a week or two, it will become your main computer. OSX is fantastic in every way imaginable.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR