Author Topic: What the fuck is this shit???  (Read 1068 times)

billy_gates

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
What the fuck is this shit???
« Reply #15 on: 30 June 2003, 10:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by Laukev7:
In any case, most of the articles that attempt to debunk the G5 so far have little credibility, and most of them fall in the same pitfalls as the ones I pointed out for this one. Whether the G5 is faster or not (which I believe it is), no one can deny that Apple is in a far better position, and their Powermac G5 is very competitive.

I can agree with this statement... it just kind of scares me when people trust these big companies and don't even second guess them, thats all.

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #16 on: 30 June 2003, 10:55 »
ok, let apple use an ultra tweaked ppc compiler (ibm designed ppc) agiasn't an ultra tweaked ix86 compiler (intel compiler) then compare the tests agianst gcc. that way apple will have conducted a slightly fairer review, and we will have an idea of where gcc needs to be improved.
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #17 on: 30 June 2003, 11:04 »
but atleast this run, the g5 is a piece of ibm's work, a little power4. however, apples incrementalism bothers me. they should have used some form of liquid cooling, and pushed this thing to ridulus speeds. if it is quicker then a 3ghz p4 xeon at 2ghz, imagine what the g5 could do at 3 ghz or beyound. or if they went numa and use 4 of the them.... osx could run on numa hardware.  and by now your probably thinkin "numa? holyshit, he's talking about sgi supercomputers". well, apple is great at bringing technolgy not usually associated with the desktop to the desktop, like 64bit machines, UNIX, and many others. so why not inexpensive numa
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #18 on: 30 June 2003, 11:36 »
Pardon my ignorance, but what is 'numa'?

avello500

• http://www.suicidaltendencies.com/
« Reply #19 on: 30 June 2003, 12:45 »
i dont know what it is but i want one.
lets see that would be #5,764,932 on my wish list.
How can you say im crazy? You wouldnt know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch.  -- mike muir/suicidal tendencies

boris_cleto

« Reply #20 on: 1 July 2003, 03:04 »
quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is 'numa'?

NUMA - Non-uniform memory access

quote:
 NUMA stands for non-uniform memory access. It's a design that can be used        to build scalable systems. Basically you take zero or more processors, a        memory and bus controller, and some RAM and bundle them together into a        unit. (Typically this unit is on its own circuit board.) Attach two or more        of these units together with a high-speed interconnect and you've got a        NUMA system. Processor A on board 1 has local access to memory bank I, but        has to go across the interconnect to reach memory bank II or board 2. Hence,        non-uniform.      

The Power Mac G5 is not a NUMA system. All memory access goes through the        Apple-designed System Controller. The System Controller connects the processor(s)        to memory and graphics, and to the HyperTransport fabric that provides access        to the internal storage and expansion slots.      

So if processor 1 wants to get at any piece of memory in the system, it        goes through the system controller and into the RAM to get it. Processor        2 does exactly the same thing. Therefore the Power Mac G5 is not a NUMA        system, because all memory accesses are uniform.      

Now, at least in theory it would be possible for Apple to design a NUMA        system around the Power Mac G5 architecture. They could design a System        Controller to HyperTransport to System Controller link that basically connects        two Power Mac G5-style systems together and allows them to function as a        single computer. (Note that we're not talking about clustering here; we're        talking about one computer with more than two processors.) But the Power        Mac G5 is not it.      

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #21 on: 1 July 2003, 03:51 »
Thank you for this information, Boris. If I understand correctly, each processor gets its own memory. But what is the point?

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
« Reply #22 on: 1 July 2003, 07:42 »
Just one question:  If the G5 powermac's aren't supposed to be shipping until august how could they get a hold of a G5 machine to do these tests ?
All your base are belong to us.

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
« Reply #23 on: 1 July 2003, 15:38 »
Maybe they based this on Apple's tests.

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #24 on: 1 July 2003, 19:02 »
Speaking of memory, does the new G5 have L3 cache? It doesn't look like it's present.

boris_cleto

« Reply #25 on: 1 July 2003, 19:53 »
The memory bus is fast enough that it doesn't need a L3 cache. The memory bus on the G4 was only 167MHz, on the G5 it is 1GHz.

jasonlane

• http://www.root10.net
« Reply #26 on: 2 July 2003, 15:45 »
ERrrrmmmmmm, GCC is has has been said already the de-facto compiler...... Un-educated idiots these Winblows / PCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE users.

What really makes me laugh though is that in a real life demo, say a very large Photoshop actions test (as seen on the Apple Keynote), they will still look at their stupid test results and deny all knowledge of what their eyes are actually seeing!!!!!

who cares what they think
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don