Author Topic: Claris Home Page 3.0: Still irreplaceable?  (Read 553 times)

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
Claris Home Page 3.0: Still irreplaceable?
« on: 20 February 2003, 00:46 »
http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/03/0219.html

Stephen van Esch writes about something I have known for a very long time. There is no web page creator like Home Page. I don
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2003, 15:48 »
Without Claris Homepage I would never have started web design. It allowed me to put stuff on a page easily and then learn HTML by messing around with it. I also used to use it to convert stuff to gif before I had photoshop.

It's a great program for learning basic HTML, but you can always tell when a page has been created with it, they generally look like shit. It's also pretty useless for learning about frames and other advanced things like that.

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2003, 15:57 »
I've never used Claris Homepage in the past, but I've heard that it was a really cool WYSIWYG editor. Too bad we won't see an OS X version.

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2003, 04:48 »
Frames? Is that advanced? It stops the natural flow of a loading page and is a real nuisance. I hate frames. It
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2003, 07:05 »
I still have Claris Home Page 3.0 on one of my macs (old 8500/150, but as long as it still works . . .). I don't use it, but I bet I could still do stuff with it. If only someone could bring it to OS X. Then you could have at least couple of new updates like more image formats, better Java support, or html 4, but just so long as they doesn't add extra too much extra shit (*cough* Microsoft).

bossesjoe

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2003, 07:15 »
I talked about this to one of the Genius bar geniuses and he told me to write a letter to Steve Jobs. I've used this program before (many times) and made my own snowboarding page but I don't feel right just haveing input form myself. I know I am a loser for addressing Steve Jobs like I know him (I wish). I would like any comments, critics or additions and suggestions to it. This is how is coming along. Please feel free to make fun of me/give a more in-depth suggestion at my email ([email protected]).

"Hey Steve,

I loved the last expo, you surprised everyone. I was thinking, claris homepage was a cool program. Mostly because the fact that it was a HTML generator, not an HTML editor. It created nice pages and was easy to use. That reminded me of everything OSX is. It would be cool if you updated claris homepage to work in OSX and include the lastest advancements in java and html, or better yet, made iPage. Using the same HTML generation code form claris homepage. It would be easy to create a page, and put music from iTunes, pictures from iPhoto, or export movie directly from iMovie into quicktime for your webpage. I know a lot of people, including myself, that would buy it and on several forums people have mentioned this topic. Including this into iLife would be a great idea because it could connect so well. I think combining all the major "i" applications was a great idea and its something that only Apple would do. This is just one of many ideas and suggestions that I have, but the Apple genus at the Apple store in Kenwood, Ohio and I agree that this is the best one."

M$ is proof that capitalism has failed.-Macman

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2003, 01:43 »
 It would be great if Apple made an iPage based on Claris Homepage, I'd definitely buy it.