Author Topic: mac parts  (Read 711 times)

the_black_angel

• Kudos: 0
mac parts
« on: 24 June 2002, 10:01 »
Does anyone know where i can get cheap mac parts (everything) im thinking of makeing a mac. getting a fucked computer with a good motherboard as a starting point. can anyone point me anywhere (perth, Australia is where i am    ) ? any help would be apreciated
--
The Black Angel

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
mac parts
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2002, 22:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by the_black_angel:
Does anyone know where i can get cheap mac parts (everything) im thinking of makeing a mac. getting a fucked computer with a good motherboard as a starting point. can anyone point me anywhere (perth, Australia is where i am     ) ? any help would be apreciated

eBay. I think Rav built his own G4. Look back into the MacOS section history and he has a post about how he wen't about it.

Also, if you go to uBid, you can get an older mac cheep. You can canabalize this for parts.

You can buy Harddrives, monitors and Ram, from the traditional PC sources.

If you go to www.applefritter.com you may get some cool ideas.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

ravuya

• VIP
mac parts
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2002, 23:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax:
I think Rav built his own G4. Look back into the MacOS section history and he has a post about how he wen't about it.

I didn't build one, I was just pointing out companies that sold open platform G4-based motherboards.    Building one would be too much stress for me and would likely cause me to have a violent heart attack and die.

the_black_angel

mac parts
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2002, 05:37 »
i've had a look at some auction sites and they are way too high for G4 motherboards/chips ($1000 up)so i'll have to go looking around in papers i guess.

Also does anyone know if you can buy processors from Apple themselves i was told that apple was thinking of doing this when they first released the g4 - and that i would be able to upgrade my computer by just putting in a new processor.
This would be helpful as i have an old g4 (AltiVec only has two units, the new ones have four)
--
The Black Angel

ravuya

• VIP
mac parts
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2002, 06:06 »
G4's have ZIF slots so with an upgrade card that's ZIF compatible you can drop in a new CPU. Try Sonnet Technology.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
mac parts
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2002, 00:20 »
Ya, it is my understanding that late modle G3's have similar mobo's as the G4's. Get one of those and put in an upgade card.

That's what you should look at, not the specific G4 mobo.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

ravuya

• VIP
mac parts
« Reply #6 on: 26 June 2002, 03:03 »
Yes, those Open Platform G4 motherboards are more expensive than hell. I recommend you purchase an older G3, do a case mod and a ZIF upgrade on it, and post the pictures and specs here.

the_black_angel

mac parts
« Reply #7 on: 26 June 2002, 17:58 »
Very Nice!

Now i just have to get the money Somehow? (jobless at hte moment  :(  )
--
The Black Angel

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
mac parts
« Reply #8 on: 26 June 2002, 22:56 »
i wish i had a job.... wait... no i dont... I wish i had inherited millions of dollars from my grandparents, then bought a whole bunch of small companies with good ideas, then change the ideas to make me the most profit  

[ June 26, 2002: Message edited by: Master of Reality / Bob ]

Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'