Author Topic: Shockwave flash and Mozilla  (Read 543 times)

TheGreatPoo

• Kudos: 0
Shockwave flash and Mozilla
« on: 6 December 2002, 21:27 »
I use Mozilla with OS 9.1 and was wonderin how I can download and install the latest Macromedia Shockwave Flash player for this browser.  I have downloaded the installer but when I run it it only gives me options to install the browser in Netscape, IE and AOL.  When I choose Netscape hoping that it will detect Mozilla (seeing as Netscape is based off of Mozilla), it says that Netscape is not installed.  What can I do?  I have installed the latest version on the PC at work and Mozilla was one of the options but why not Mac OS?

Any help is greatly appreaciated!   :D
When Bill Gates throws you a curve ball, hit him in his jewels with the bat!

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #1 on: 6 December 2002, 13:15 »
Hmmmmmmmm not sure...

TheGreatPoo

« Reply #2 on: 7 December 2002, 00:06 »
This stinks.  I wanted to play the Michael Jackson baby drop game too!    ;)

cocoamix

« Reply #3 on: 7 December 2002, 01:26 »
Just install it in for Netscape or Exploder. Then go to the Plug-Ins folder in Netscape/IE and drag/copy the Flash Plug-in into Mozilla's plug-in's folder.
I actually just keep ONE folder full of plug-ins and make aliases of that folder in my other browser folders, and it works fine.

TheGreatPoo

« Reply #4 on: 7 December 2002, 01:44 »
Damn.  That means I have to install Netscape huh?  The only browsers I have installed are Mozilla and iCab (for when I need a small browser).

billy_gates

• http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2002, 04:25 »
get Chimera, it is just about completle bug free, it is mozilla, yet it has a good looking interface and is fast.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2002, 04:45 »
i have problems with chimera & flash sites. it just doesnt like them. mozilla seems to like flash more than chimera.. weird considering chimera is mozilla.

TheGreatPoo

« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2002, 04:49 »
I thought Chimera was only for Linux and Unix.  Correct me if I am wrong.  Will it work on Mac OS 9.1 (classic)?

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2002, 05:23 »
Chimera is for Mac OS X, not Linux.  I don't think it will work on OS 9 because it relies on the Aqua GUI and Carbon toolkit or whatever.

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #9 on: 11 December 2002, 05:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by TheGreatPoo: Mac Commando:
I thought Chimera was only for Linux and Unix.  Correct me if I am wrong.  Will it work on Mac OS 9.1 (classic)?

Chimera is only for OS X and not Classic or Linux. Like Linux User mentioned it requires the Aqua GUI and the Carbon API to function.

I seem to have some problems with Chimera as well when it comes to certain sites that use Flash, but then again it's still in version 0.6 (not even 1.0) and it works perfectly with 99% of the sites I visit.

[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: Panos: Mac Commando ]

TheGreatPoo

« Reply #10 on: 11 December 2002, 05:59 »
Ah.  Ok.  I guess I got a little cofused when I went to their site and it said, "Chimera is a World Wide Web browser for UNIX-based machines running the X window system."  Got a little confoozed.

So I guess there is no hope for flash unless I install Netscape, then install Flash, then move the plugin to the Mozilla folder, and THEN delete Netscape.  Too much trouble for me but thanx anyway guys!  I appreaciate the help.  :D