Author Topic: macnewbie  (Read 645 times)

kibawarior

• Kudos: 109
macnewbie
« on: 11 November 2003, 22:53 »
ok my new ibook has just arrived i wanted to ask do any of you know how to set up broadband on a apple airport base.

also could you tell me about any p2p programs on the mac thanks
linux is wayyyyy cool
windows plain sucks

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
macnewbie
« Reply #1 on: 11 November 2003, 23:01 »
If you want p2p, learn yourself some google. I havent used an airport base, but if it acts at all like any other router, then i am assuming that you can type into your browser http://192.168.0.1, enter the admin username & password, then configure it. Read the documentation that came with the equipment.

billy_gates

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
macnewbie
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2003, 03:39 »
to configure your base station... first read the instructions (i don't have a base station) but then I would assume you go to the Airport Base Station Config Utility in your Utilities folder in your Applications folder.

as for p2p get Poisoned.  But remember pirating is wrong and against the law.

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
macnewbie
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2003, 03:58 »
Are you suggesting copying software without permission is the moral equivilant of attacking a ship?

If you don't agree that it is, please don't use the smear word "piracy."  You're just playing into the media companies' hands when you do.

Thank you   ;)

kibawarior

macnewbie
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2003, 21:20 »
actually no you see all of money has been spent on paying for an ibook. Firstly iam a student and to buy some of the software i need for school may take months for mr to work for enough money to buy them.

and i do try to buy officail stuff from shops i bought photoshop elements 2.0 from argos i've got the receipt also its actually the software makers fault for realeasing student licence software that costs a load of cash. To be honest i think we should get 50-60% discount but seing as companies only have students and businesses to buy their software we have to pay rediculus prices

why do you think Im not using linux anymore I have no choice i have to get the software my school uses or basically they will flunk me. i once gave in a screenshot of open office in one of my assignments and i was told to go back again and do my work on ms. Maybe if corparations stop making schools enforce their software we would not need to get pirate software we could gust use open scource alternatives.
linux is wayyyyy cool
windows plain sucks

xyle_one

• VIP
macnewbie
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2003, 20:57 »
I hate that shit. What difference does it make if you write your homework in a word proc other than msWord? I dont get it. The concepts are the same. Type on keyboard to make letters appear on screen. Same with spreadsheets. Type in functions to make cells do stuff. Fucking retarded if you ask me.

I understand the need for certain software. It sucks, but sometimes you have to do it.

You can always find versions of ms office pretty cheap, maybe you know someone who has a copy? Check out limewire & aquisition. But, i would try and explain to your school that there is no difference between the different office suites.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
macnewbie
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2003, 21:00 »
Well, one I can name right off the bat is the fact that OpenOffice's spell checker sux ass.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

xyle_one

• VIP
macnewbie
« Reply #7 on: 12 November 2003, 21:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax: plain 'ol psyjax:
Well, one I can name right off the bat is the fact that OpenOffice's spell checker sux ass.

I havent noticed. that sucks  :(

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
macnewbie
« Reply #8 on: 12 November 2003, 21:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ecsyle:

I havent noticed. that sucks   :(  

Ya, it's pretty bad. I should know, I'm a horrible speller in case you folks haven't noticed  ;)

It catches the misspelled word, but rearly makes apropriate suggestions. Whereas AppleWorks and Word, can usually decipher even my most garbbled mistakes.

None the less, for the non-dislexic, native english speaker, OpenOffice roxors  :D
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

kibawarior

macnewbie
« Reply #9 on: 12 November 2003, 22:55 »
yeah open office is really good for students like moi . I go back and I ask me teach why this was he told me it is an international course requirement aparantly even if the gui is the same you can't use it in you're work. You have to show that you can use  microsoft office and other apps like photoshop
linux is wayyyyy cool
windows plain sucks

purevil

macnewbie
« Reply #10 on: 17 November 2003, 08:10 »
p2p apps check out limewire, and mlMac. Not that I would ever use something like that. cause stealing is wrong.
I got a game of solitaire. And this crappy OS came with it

purevil

macnewbie
« Reply #11 on: 17 November 2003, 08:11 »
check out www.zeropaid.com they have alot of p2p apps for all platforms mac, p.c., and linux
I got a game of solitaire. And this crappy OS came with it

xyle_one

• VIP
macnewbie
« Reply #12 on: 18 November 2003, 21:57 »
fuck pirating. i hate it. im scared to use my computer because i keep expecting black helicopters to fly over my house and drop 50 armed adobe & autodesk commandos with a mission to kill. me. no. Fuck using warez. I cant wait until early 2004 when i can finally get the software legit.

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
macnewbie
« Reply #13 on: 18 November 2003, 10:30 »
I would suggest avoiding proprietary software entirely, if it is at all possible.  Donating 10 dollars to the GIMP developers is much more worthwhile in my opinion, when you take a long-term view of things.  If everyone who wanted an alternative to Photoshop did that GIMP would be better by now.  (Actually, having looked at recent development builds, it is pretty damn close)

This new year I am going to become a card carrying member of the free software foundation and am making a donation of 10 dollars to the KDE project.   ;)  If everyone did that, or even less (1 dollar per person adds up if there are a million users) it could make a huge difference.

billy_gates

• http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
macnewbie
« Reply #14 on: 20 November 2003, 21:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by kibawarior:
yeah open office is really good for students like moi . I go back and I ask me teach why this was he told me it is an international course requirement aparantly even if the gui is the same you can't use it in you're work. You have to show that you can use  microsoft office and other apps like photoshop

you know why that is??? its because MS has a monopoly.  If you HAVE to use something... the people who sell that something have a monopoly.  Microsoft does not have a monopoly in any way except Office software.