Author Topic: Dell's supercomputer. HA!  (Read 936 times)

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Dell's supercomputer. HA!
« Reply #15 on: 15 October 2003, 19:56 »
Oh, on topic, as to what Fett101 said. Apple didn't play with the numbers, the author of the article did. As far as I know Apple never made similar claims.

Oh ya, lets see those dells outperform the G5 in a cluster. RISC archtecture is famous for clustering, NASA uses G4 clusters. They are way faster than teh x86 variety.

YDL recently sond the US Navy a gigantic linux based G4 supercluster.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
« Reply #16 on: 15 October 2003, 22:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm:

Notice on how some people react different on benchmarks?

Your reaction to the benchmark showing that Samba 3 is faster than Windows Server 2003 would be "yeah, Open Source rules!" and when it's "Benchmark result: The G5 is a slow piece of shit" your reaction is "they do not show the real world".
They actually do show the real world, and it shows that the G5 is expencive and slow.

Don
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #17 on: 15 October 2003, 23:13 »
quote:
cahult: Don

cocoamix

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #18 on: 15 October 2003, 23:17 »
These benchmark pissing contests are always so funny. There's a doozy gogin on at /. over PC World's tests and probably a bucnh at ARSTech also.

Back to the topic though, the G5 cluster still came out on top in teh PRICE/teraflop ratio by a long shot.

In fact, it may be the 2nd fastest supercomputer in teh WORLD, next to Japan's 350 Million Earth Simulator:
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,60821,00.html

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #19 on: 16 October 2003, 00:07 »
I really think the PCWorld test is much to narrow in scope. I still can't get over the fact that they considered a speed advantage finding and replacing text in word a point for the PC!

God, how fucking inane. Look everyone! My mac is better than all PC's because my keyboard autorepeat is 50Milliseconds where as the PC's is 100milliseconds!

Brace yourselves the world is ending!

Fuck you! PC people are worse than Mac heads when it comes to jerking each other off.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

billy_gates

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
« Reply #20 on: 16 October 2003, 00:41 »
speed comes second after my ability to use the computer... and the computer's ability to keep up with me.

or would speed be third then?  I don't know, but my 733MHz G4 is damn slower than my 1.7 Athlon XP but I hate using that damn PC.  OSX is just so wonderful.  I can get so much more done... and faster.

[ October 15, 2003: Message edited by: jeffberg: Mac Capitalist ]

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #21 on: 16 October 2003, 02:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax: plain 'ol psyjax:
Oh, on topic, as to what Fett101 said. Apple didn't play with the numbers, the author of the article did. As far as I know Apple never made similar claims.

I said apple users.