Author Topic: DivX on a mac...  (Read 822 times)

heljy

• Kudos: 0
DivX on a mac...
« on: 26 October 2002, 22:52 »
My friend and I were discussing about the powerbook G4 and he said that mac cant play DivX files.

And so I told him that QuickTime 6 is supports MPEG 4 and since DivX is fully MPEG 4 compliant, so it should be able to play DivX files as well.

Am I correct, cause I am pretty sure that they have codec for Mac on divx.com

And since DivX5 also plays DivX3 and DivX4, then the mac would be able to support all these formats too. True?

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
DivX on a mac...
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2002, 23:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by heljy:
My friend and I were discussing about the powerbook G4 and he said that mac cant play DivX files.

And so I told him that QuickTime 6 is supports MPEG 4 and since DivX is fully MPEG 4 compliant, so it should be able to play DivX files as well.

Am I correct, cause I am pretty sure that they have codec for Mac on divx.com

And since DivX5 also plays DivX3 and DivX4, then the mac would be able to support all these formats too. True?

Yes, Mac's can play DiviX, yer friend is full of it.

Anyway, I haven't tried the capability on QT6, but there are several third party apps that Play, or convert Divix, to more widely supported formats.

So don't worry about it.

EDIT: Look what I found on the Divix site:

http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/

[ October 26, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax v6.9 /Dave ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

heljy

DivX on a mac...
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2002, 00:54 »
Yep, I saw that page from divx too.

So I guess there's nothing holding me back now for that PowerBook  :D

Now to look for a good deal from ebay...

ravuya

• VIP
DivX on a mac...
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2002, 02:36 »
DivX seems to work fine on my OS 8.1 system, despite the fact that it claims to require 8.6.

eradicator

DivX on a mac...
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2002, 12:10 »
i use osx and divx videos play fine on my system in quicktime. for a good list of divx codecs for macs, you can visit http://www.versiontracker.com/ and just search for "divx" ###

aapl

DivX on a mac...
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2002, 12:46 »
First of all you should get the two codecs at

www.3ivx.com

www.divx.com

Quicktime doesn't like Divx, neither does apple. Some will work, the few that do don't usually have sound.

To playback Divx on the Mac you need VLC. Search versiontracker for VLC. VLC is buggy but it gets the job done. I have yet to find a Divx that won't play with VLC and the two codecs installed.