Author Topic: which is better?  (Read 704 times)

idlepython3

• Kudos: 0
which is better?
« on: 5 February 2004, 21:01 »
whic is better, dual g4's or a single g5?
save the penguins, bust the trusts!
"If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed... oh wait, he
does."

Paladin9

• VIP
  • Kudos: 263
which is better?
« Reply #1 on: 5 February 2004, 10:36 »
good question.  I would like to know also.

To create a new standard, it takes something that's not just a little bit different; it takes something that's really new and really captures people's imagination

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
which is better?
« Reply #2 on: 5 February 2004, 10:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by Paladin9:
good question.  I would like to know also.

Well, the answer depends on what you are going to use it for, and how fast the dual G4 is. The dual G4 1.2Ghz is faster than the single G5 1.8ghz by most benchmarks. Not to mention you get to take advantage of DP. Bellow that line it's a drop off.

However, you must keep in mind that a high end dual G4 is no laughing matter! These are powerfull machines and should be able to handle any task.

Till this day, I still see many dual 500Mhz G4s doing very demanding graphic work etc. Like I said, it's all about what you need it for, and how much money you want to spend  ;)
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
which is better?
« Reply #3 on: 5 February 2004, 22:42 »
I was doing audio work with a single G4 867, sold it to get a G5, and now I'm going to get another G4, after selling the G5

they're overhyped
Go the fuck ~

idlepython3

which is better?
« Reply #4 on: 6 February 2004, 03:30 »
well, here are the ones i was looking at.  basically i want the computer to do everything (but i don't need do graphics design) and i want it to last. just not real familiar with macs and these two computers are similarly priced. which is really more worth the money?
   $1,599.00    
   Dual 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
2MB L3 cache/processor
256MB DDR333 SDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive
ATI Radeon 9000 Pro
Mac OS 9 boot supported
   $1,799.00         
   1.6GHz PowerPC G5
800MHz frontside bus
512K L2 cache
256MB DDR333 128-bit SDRAM
Expandable to 4GB SDRAM
80GB Serial ATA
SuperDrive
Three PCI Slots
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem
does."

Claris

• Kudos: 109
    • http://hompage.mac.com/neonsoldierx/PhotoAlbum3.html
which is better?
« Reply #5 on: 6 February 2004, 07:37 »
For your needs, it seems the dual G4 is a better option. However, software will soon be optimized for the G5 architecture (making it run much faster), which should probably be considered.
Windows: 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
which is better?
« Reply #6 on: 7 February 2004, 00:23 »
The single G5's coolness factor beats the duel processor G4 on it's own.

idlepython3

which is better?
« Reply #7 on: 12 February 2004, 03:15 »
pretty sure i'm going to get the g5. but the cheapest i can get it while still adding some more ram and ati card to it
does."

Claris

• Kudos: 109
    • http://hompage.mac.com/neonsoldierx/PhotoAlbum3.html
which is better?
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2004, 17:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by tronsixpoint.o:
pretty sure i'm going to get the g5. but the cheapest i can get it while still adding some more ram and ati card to it

Why add a new card? You can order it with the 9800 pro card factory installed, and that's a damn good card.
Windows: 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Pinkster

which is better?
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2004, 06:35 »
Bah, The G4 is extremely over hypered, its ugly as sin ( giant Cheese Grader ) and way way way to overpriced, ( i will get one eventually though ) and alot of stuff is not optimized nor working great, i.e Virtual PC and OS IX booting etc...  but still g5 has some nice capabilites, but untill its price lowers i wont get, My Dual 1.25Ghz PowerMac G4  does EVERYTHIGN + LOTS more than I need it to, running Maya V, bryce V, Power , Macromedia MX 2004, Light wave VII.V and Toon boom, plus a few others, and the speed + ram + ATI Readeon 9800 Pro is the shiznaz, so I would much rather my G4 over any g5 ... basicualy cause my g4 is top of the line, Max upgrades and looks a hell of alot nicer than the Cheese Grater 5, so, my opinion. I would choose that G4 , but try and get a dual Processer...  Pinky Out
-Pinky Out-

Pinkster

which is better?
« Reply #10 on: 17 March 2004, 07:25 »
correction, G5... G4 is not ugly at all, stupid typos!!
-Pinky Out-

Stilly

• Kudos: 29
    • http://kickassshit.tk/
which is better?
« Reply #11 on: 17 March 2004, 08:03 »
you could just hit the edit button

and its os 9 not ix. roman numerals were only used with system 10</nitpick>
just say know

Pinkster

which is better?
« Reply #12 on: 17 March 2004, 08:23 »
well I say IX cause I, myself use roman numerals, I know its called OS 9, I just prefered to use Roman numerals, so BLAH !
-Pinky Out-

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
which is better?
« Reply #13 on: 18 March 2004, 03:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by Pinkster:
well I say IX cause I, myself use roman numerals, I know its called OS 9, I just prefered to use Roman numerals, so BLAH !

I actually think the G5 looks very nice. They are also super freakin quiet.

Overal I agree, Ill get one when the price goes down some. Right now I use a dual 800Mhz G4 tower. I don't have a single complaint. It's a great machine, and it does everything I want.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Pinkster

which is better?
« Reply #14 on: 19 March 2004, 07:35 »
I aggree completely,  the GV is fast and quite.. its OKAY looking but nothing great... i still think it looks like a giant cheese grater... but as you said the GIV,  dual DCCC mhz or MORE is still the great, but.. you sound as if the GIV is noisy, mines whisper quiet, Raided Maxtor 8mb cache 7200 rpm hardrives are virtualy noislessand the fan makes little to no sound at all, if your gIV makes alot of noise, shove a pillow in there  :D
-Pinky Out-