Author Topic: Anti-OSX sentiment  (Read 796 times)

billy_gates

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
Anti-OSX sentiment
« Reply #15 on: 9 November 2002, 21:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ex Eleven / b0b 2.1:
Is there some kind of a GNU/Darwin?

Yes there is at
http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/

hope that address is right, I am not a programmer.

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
Anti-OSX sentiment
« Reply #16 on: 9 November 2002, 22:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax v6.9 /Dave:
Lately I have been noting a decidedly anti-OSX slant from forum regulars. Arguments saying that it isn't customizable enugh, isn't true open source etc.

This is all garbage. OSX is fully customizable just as any UNIX. You have full access to the Darwin underlayer and can mess with it all you want. The Aqua GUI is also very pourus and there are various ways to customize it to your likeing. Apple includes many development tools for OSX ranging from the gcc compilers to the wonderfull Developer Tools sweet.

OSX is potentialy as good as any UNIX, and is surely the BEST desktop UNIX around. Mac users and Linux/*NIX users are on the same teem here and I don't think we should be trashing each other.

But none the less, if you have some kind of Beef with OSX, or any other OS for that matter, at least try to make a valid point with substance. Most of the stuff I have seen tossed around are kind of like half assed arguments and silly OSX sux type crap.

Perhaps maybe you are starting to see the Open Source community for what they really are. They are a bunch of selfish dorks who think that Open Source should control the software industry. Thier way of thinking is if it isn't Open Source it is no-good. They don't just hate MS, they hate any software company who refuse to give thier software away for free. The Open Source community is nothing but a bunch of cheap bastards who aren't willing to pay money for software.

[ November 09, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Anti-OSX sentiment
« Reply #17 on: 9 November 2002, 22:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by choasforages:
and does quartz offer network tranparency like X does. and is it going to be added. or can it be added.

If you mean the ability to control someone's screen by remote access, ya. Also, Quartz/Aqua can be bypassed entirely, and if you edit the boot file, you can get it not to load at all.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
Anti-OSX sentiment
« Reply #18 on: 10 November 2002, 14:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:

Perhaps maybe you are starting to see the Open Source community for what they really are. They are a bunch of selfish dorks who think that Open Source should control the software industry. Thier way of thinking is if it isn't Open Source it is no-good. They don't just hate MS, they hate any software company who refuse to give thier software away for free. The Open Source community is nothing but a bunch of cheap bastards who aren't willing to pay money for software.

[ November 09, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

I actually believe in closed source third party applications such as games. However my complaints against MS have little to do with the fact that it is closed source, and more to do with their business practices. I dont ask for anything for free, and I actually paid for my copy of linux, and I also paid for several of the applications I use on linux including Quake 3, and Star Office 6.0. Hopefully the money will help contribute to the further development of my favorite open source applications. However, you must notice the benefits of an open source structure including the finding and fixing of bugs and vulnerabilities in a very small time frame.  

Do not categorize linux users. You are not one of us and you know absolutely nothing about us. We want the same things as everyone else, but most importantly we want "Choice". Keep that in mind when you look up one day and realize that all the software on your machine was created by Microsoft.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Anti-OSX sentiment
« Reply #19 on: 10 November 2002, 14:08 »
hear hear.

unfortunately for zombie, he allows his opinions to control him, not the other way around.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
Anti-OSX sentiment
« Reply #20 on: 10 November 2002, 21:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum & his insidious little spies:
hear hear.

unfortunately for zombie, he allows his opinions to control him, not the other way around.

There are very few Linux users like you. The problem is, most of the Linux user base consists of kids and young teenagers who do not work and do not have money. Thier lack of money is why they think that every piece of software released should be made available for free. The age of alot of Linux users also shows because the way they act. Truthfully most Linux users that I see at any forum act childish(Note, I said most...not all).

quote:
Originally posted by Calum & his insidious little spies:
hear hear.

My opinions don't control me, I control my opinions. I am entilted to have whatever opinion I want to have(just like everybody else is entitled to thier opinion).  ;)

[ November 10, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

emh

Anti-OSX sentiment
« Reply #21 on: 10 November 2002, 23:40 »
I'm curious, whcih Linux forums did you visit, Zombie?  The ones I've visited, the members, with few exceptions, were generally polite and very helpful.

I still think there's a place for proprietary software, and there's benefits for it.  But there are also benefits to open-source and/or free software as well.  They can co-exist peacefully, and even help each other out indirectly by both of them striving to improve and make the best product possible.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Anti-OSX sentiment
« Reply #22 on: 10 November 2002, 23:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:

There are very few Linux users like you. The problem is, most of the Linux user base consists of kids and young teenagers who do not work and do not have money. Thier lack of money is why they think that every piece of software released should be made available for free.

I would sure like to be able to agree with you on this. I wish more kids were using Linux as that would mean there is no reason for it not to be used more in schools, thus saving me more money in taxes. I haven't been able to find any statistics on the web regarding linux demographics, probably because people who use Linux don't usually *want* to be counted. In fact usually people who do not use Linux don't *want* to be counted, but those non-Linux users don't have a lot of say in the matter.

I can only go on my personal experience of who uses Linux. All of the people I personally know who use Linux are business oriented and are between the ages of 25 and 40. Most of these people you will never see on a forum, at least the kinds of forums that you would go to. Of course my kids use Linux, and you certainly won't see them on a forum.

quote:
The age of alot of Linux users also shows because the way they act. Truthfully most Linux users that I see at any forum act childish(Note, I said most...not all).

You don't suppose that you may have initially written a closed minded trolling post that may have triggered a childish response do you? Na, Zombie wouldn't do that....
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

billy_gates

• http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
Anti-OSX sentiment
« Reply #23 on: 11 November 2002, 04:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax v6.9 /Dave:

If you mean the ability to control someone's screen by remote access, ya. Also, Quartz/Aqua can be bypassed entirely, and if you edit the boot file, you can get it not to load at all.

Do you know where I can get instructions on editing the boot file?

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Anti-OSX sentiment
« Reply #24 on: 11 November 2002, 05:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Gates:

Do you know where I can get instructions on editing the boot file?

www.resexcellence.com

You will have to dig, but it's there, along with a 101 other fucked up things to do to OS X  :D
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR